Best bang for the buck

Check out a December cow elk hunt in NM. Fun hunt, relatively cheap. Keep all meat. If u drive try to add some hog hunting in Texas on way back
I‘d be on the Cow Elk hunt bandwagon! A crafty trophy & a mature Cow could garnish 200lbs of quality venison.

Happy Trails.

Need to get together with some others in the East coast for a hunt, would save on gas and can change out drivers. A bed full of coolers and a place to stay is all we would need and the guns.

20220709_093420.jpg
This was the one I shot, he was 1200#s should net 450+ #s of meat. If you are going with several people, I'll suggest bringing a trailer, it takes a lot of ice chests to carry that much quartered meat.

You can also find trophy hunts that start at 2500. Bigger horns mean older bull. Want meat more than horns.

Since I'll probably never really have money for a African hunt, and flying is a bit of a pain since I'm a big guy. So this leaves me with hunts say in Texas, I'd like to shoot some plans game type animals someday or hunt elk or bison.

My question what animal give you the most tasty meat for its price to hunt, I know you can get tags for elk on state land/federal land ect but I'm a big boy and can't do 10 mile hikes in and out like it seems for the those type hunts. Hogs are probably the cheapest I can think of and would like to find a nice place to do a week trip some year.

Interested in what you all think.
Axis deer are the best tasting venison in the world. (Proven in taste tests so get off my back!) A high quality trophy with excellent meat and readily available in Texas. Ive been raising them since the 1990's.
Regards,
Philip

Don't sleep on the state of Georgia for hunting hogs. @BigSteve57 went on a hog hunt with his wife and came back with several coolers full of meat. Not sure what he paid for it, but I know it was quite the adventure.

So there you go. Inexpensive, inside the US and meat to fill the freezer. The only thing you won't have is a trophy to hang on the wall.

If you really want a trophy...an African trophy, save your pennies for an African PG hunt. Do your research, practice with your rifle and just go. Yeah, you will most likely go the South Africa because it is less expensive, but you will have the trip of a lifetime! Even if it's only once, you will have those memories and a trophy on the wall if you so desire. Best of luck.

Don't sleep on the state of Georgia for hunting hogs. @BigSteve57 went on a hog hunt with his wife and came back with several coolers full of meat. Not sure what he paid for it, but I know it was quite the adventure.

So there you go. Inexpensive, inside the US and meat to fill the freezer. The only thing you won't have is a trophy to hang on the wall.

If you really want a trophy...an African trophy, save your pennies for an African PG hunt. Do your research, practice with your rifle and just go. Yeah, you will most likely go the South Africa because it is less expensive, but you will have the trip of a lifetime! Even if it's only once, you will have those memories and a trophy on the wall if you so desire. Best of luck.
We went with HOGSWAT and the trip was awesome. We used their rifles and scopes which made it really easy to try out this new (to us) type of shooting. We found the HOGSWAT folks very easy to work with and very safety conscious. I would highly recommend them based on our experience.

We stayed in Americus Georgia and drove to the HOGSWAT location after dinner each day.

Total take was two 120 qt and one 48 qt cooler full of hog meat in 2 nights of hunting! The meat consisted of the 4 quarters and back-straps. The quarters cooked well in a slow cooker whereas the back-straps I like grilled.

One of the interesting takeaways was observing other wildlife such as deer, raccoons, possum, rabbit and fox responded to us when it was totally dark. It was obvious they heard us initially but mostly acted as if we weren't there as, we assume, they couldn't see us. This was especially true of deer.

HOGSWAT: https://hogswat.com/

If I was looking for some excellent meat for the freezer and perhaps a mountable head, I would drive over to New Mexico and pay for a private landowner tag for antelope. No draw. Success rate is high, costs are relatively low. The country is not hard to get around in and most hunts are three days and involve only a modest amount of walking.

I would not pay for an elk hunt in the usual western terrain unless I was fit enough to do the work. It can be tough.

The best meat I’ve had in Texas was a Nilgai. You can shoot free range Nilgai for under $2k and get ~150lbs of great lean meat. Cool skull mount too. Can do thermal hunt form a vehicle so being a big dude won’t be an issue

Actually if he wants meat he just needs to head down to a butcher shop and buy it.

Going out west and crossing his fingers that he will shoot a animal is a crap shoot. Not to mention the draws for the tags if he is looking at a cow elk or doe deer or antelope.

He'll be money ahead.
It is not the money. It is the experience in the real wild nature. Shooting is only a very little part of it.
Krish

i was lucky to have a good friend who is married to a SA girl and have made six hunting trips to africa, on privite ranches and useing their rifles most of the time with friends of eric,s SA wife. the costs were very good and i shot 60+ animals(15 species) on the six trips. my hunting buddies 56" kudu.

DSCN2098 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out a bison hunt on the Triple 7 ranch in South Dakota (I think). My Sis in law and her husband used to go shoot one there every other year or so, fairly reasonable.
I will google it up and chime back in.

Well, didn't see anything about the Triple 7, but just google Dakota bison hunts and a lot of options come up.

I have often tried to put myself into the shoes of an overseas hunter who comes to Africa to hunt - what is the greatest attraction? Is it the different and often exotic animals? Or is it the different look and feel of the place? One can find exotic animals elsewhere, so that probably scores highly, but isn't the whole deal. One can come for a photographic safari, but for a hunter that is a lower octane affair altogether. For me, living here, it is the whole experience of Africa - you must see the people in a rural village, smell the wood smoke, feel the heat, the dust AND stalk and kill your prey. Then you have lived, not just a little higher, but in the clouds. For you hunters from the first world how much higher that must be again.
So to my enquiring friend I say without a second of hesitation, find the funds somehow, buy the extra seat, get to Africa and hunt even a few impala. Life is to precious for compromise.

What are the say too 5 animals to hunt in Africa, the only thing dg I'd like to hunt some day is a cape Buffalo. Guess all others would be considered planes game I'd like to hunt. Not sure how I feel about shooting zebra, just feels like a horse to me, tho I don't like horses anyway.

Maybe if I grew up reading all the African hunting stories in books I'd have a better idea what the go to game are. The cost of shipping the animal back to be taxidermy is what worries me, seems it just wouldn't be the same if the animals don't get mounted. To short of a hunt I'd be worried I would be rushed and not get to see/do things that make up a full hunting experience. 10 days I'd think being the minimum.

are there any good videos that go over planing the hunt, I don't even like calling somewhere to make a appointment, always been weird about that type stuff.

Not knowing any specific animals to hunt is not necessarily a bad thing, book a 10 day hunt on a well stocked South African game farm take as much trophy fee money you can save and when you see an animal you like shoot it. When you run out of money your done.

On the shipping and mounting problem you can always have them dipped and packed and after they clear customs have them shipped to your house and have them mounted piece meal, one or two mounted as you save the money. Properly dipped and packed skins have a fairly long shelf life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TillyGroom

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you