Best bang for the buck

I have often tried to put myself into the shoes of an overseas hunter who comes to Africa to hunt - what is the greatest attraction? Is it the different and often exotic animals? Or is it the different look and feel of the place? One can find exotic animals elsewhere, so that probably scores highly, but isn't the whole deal. One can come for a photographic safari, but for a hunter that is a lower octane affair altogether. For me, living here, it is the whole experience of Africa - you must see the people in a rural village, smell the wood smoke, feel the heat, the dust AND stalk and kill your prey. Then you have lived, not just a little higher, but in the clouds. For you hunters from the first world how much higher that must be again.
So to my enquiring friend I say without a second of hesitation, find the funds somehow, buy the extra seat, get to Africa and hunt even a few impala. Life is to precious for compromise.

Well said

If you don’t mind waiting afew years while you acrue preference points, you can apply for cow elk tags on “cwmu” properties in Utah. If you draw a cow elk tag on Deseret cwmu you can pay $200 and have a guide assist you for the day. Nonresident tag and travel and the guide fee is all very affordable. There are other cwmu tags avaialble but this is one I have experience with. In many states doe antelope are readily available and I know you can have a cow bison in some places for very reasonable-internet research will show you the way!

I have often tried to put myself into the shoes of an overseas hunter who comes to Africa to hunt - what is the greatest attraction? Is it the different and often exotic animals? Or is it the different look and feel of the place? One can find exotic animals elsewhere, so that probably scores highly, but isn't the whole deal. One can come for a photographic safari, but for a hunter that is a lower octane affair altogether. For me, living here, it is the whole experience of Africa - you must see the people in a rural village, smell the wood smoke, feel the heat, the dust AND stalk and kill your prey. Then you have lived, not just a little higher, but in the clouds. For you hunters from the first world how much higher that must be again.
So to my enquiring friend I say without a second of hesitation, find the funds somehow, buy the extra seat, get to Africa and hunt even a few impala. Life is to precious for compromise.

This. There is no better way to put it. None.

An Impala is the lowest “trophy fee” of any animal I’ve hunted, but also one of the most memorable experiences I have had in Africa.

Was it as exhilarating as my Cape Buff? No. But I could go to Africa twice, perhaps three times and hunt lesser cost animals for what that cost. To me, there is a lot of appeal to that. Especially when you’ve been there and had the pleasure of soaking Africa in.

i loved hunting impala, a easy hunt by stalking-water hole or in a blind on a travel way. i think i have shot 7-8 on my hunts.

DSCN1039 (2).JPG
DSCN9614 (4).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If this were an Africa heading I'd say a cull hunt or lower trophy fee PG hunt in RSA. I really like hunting impala. IMO, kind of under-rated as a game animal I think, if for no other reason than there are so many. Trying to sort out a really good impala ram can turn into a hunt!

Since this in the USA and Canada section I still think a caribou hunt in AK would be hard to beat. I would've been certain of it 10-15 years ago. Right now not so sure- maybe a toss up between that and a cow elk somewhere in the west- Colorado maybe. But only with a lot of research and some effort. Many get the idea of a DIY moose float hunt in AK. I'd carefully re-think that idea. Might be way more "bang" than many are willing to coffer up. :)

Last edited:
There is no best Bang for your Buck in Texas. Unless you know someone, everything is ridiculously over priced.

For the cost of 1 Oryx/Gemsbok in Texas, you can do a 5-7 Day Plainsgame Hunt, shoot the gemsbok and 2-3 other animals plus cover your airfare. The Gemsbok Trophy Fee where I was just hunting was $850, compare that to the $6k that I’ve seen multiple times in Texas.

If you’ve got the money to hunt African Species in Texas, you have the money to afford a QSuite or DeltaOne Suite on the flights to be more than comfortable. All PH’s will work around and health or mobility issues you have.

The salient point that most keep glossing over is that the OP is looking to fill his freezer.
If one could bring home the 5-7 animals one would shoot on his African hunt, that would be that.

Axis deer- Texas

The salient point that most keep glossing over is that the OP is looking to fill his freezer.
If one could bring home the 5-7 animals one would shoot on his African hunt, that would be that.

missed that point. If he wants the meat Nilgai or Oryx are the way to go. Bison would probably be next on my list.

Well there are at least a couple of "salient" points. Low budget, can't walk, can't air travel and wants meat. 2-3 yo bison in a pasture or a side of beef.

Well there are at least a couple of "salient" points. Low budget, can't walk, can't air travel and wants meat. 2-3 yo bison in a pasture or a side of beef.
Can walk, just not long hikes. That leaves a lot of tree stand or blind hunting open. I mentioned Texas hogs, but honestly Florida is a good one for hog hunting too. It will be a long drive from PA in either case.

Axis deer- Texas
My buddy lives in Hawaii so id go there for them, the pigs are juice on his side and there the nice goats and rams. Plus there are Pharaoh cows you can shot, paying to bring 100lbs back may not cost to much either.

I can walk, just have to keep it to a few miles a day, it's just hard fitting into small places.

Can walk, just not long hikes. That leaves a lot of tree stand or blind hunting open. I mentioned Texas hogs, but honestly Florida is a good one for hog hunting too. It will be a long drive from PA in either case.
I'm in ny but very close to pa, so ya same drive. But to Florida would be much easier and cheaper then Texas. I like blinds so long there's a good seat, I like Coolers good seat and can hold some food and drinks lol. Not a fan of tree stands, I can climb them but don't trust many.

My brother in law goes to a ranch in Tennessee, it has a variety of game hogs a few deer species ( fallow, axis and maybe sika) along with bison, elk and red deer. He’s tried to get me to go but it’s not really my thing. I don’t think it’s real expensive but I don’t think it’s that big of a piece of property , that’s what turns me off on this particular place.

Talk to @gizmo at the Rockin G…. He has lots of animals on your list. You will save on flights, dipping, packing & shipping which is through the roof & unpredictable. He’s also a taxidermist so he can give you up to date pricing. Straight forward & honest.

Since I'll probably never really have money for a African hunt, and flying is a bit of a pain since I'm a big guy. So this leaves me with hunts say in Texas, I'd like to shoot some plans game type animals someday or hunt elk or bison.

My question what animal give you the most tasty meat for its price to hunt, I know you can get tags for elk on state land/federal land ect but I'm a big boy and can't do 10 mile hikes in and out like it seems for the those type hunts. Hogs are probably the cheapest I can think of and would like to find a nice place to do a week trip some year.

Interested in what you all think.
I can certainly help you and we would love to have the opportunity to help you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.