Best 458 Buffalo Bullet @2150 FPS

Well, I sold my 458 Lott yesterday, so I no longer really need to know what the best 458 Bullet @2150fps is anymore! Haha!
Maybe there's a 450 Rigby in my future though....

Get the Rigby! (or a Dakota :) )

I weaseled my way out to the range today...put 24 rounds through the Dakota.

Shot mostly the 550 Woodies and Hydros. The Hydros are hitting about 1.5" above the softs at 50 yards (550 soft at 2,180 and 480 Hydro at 2,200).

Swift A Frame, Rhino solid shank 485gr, Peregrine VRG3 are all good choices. Also the Barnes TSX. Most people I know use 450gr bullets for buff, especially in the monometals. If using a monometal you don't need solids. If using a conventional bullet go for a strong one (like those mentioned above ) for the first shot and load the rest of the mag with flat nosed solids.
450 Rigby is excellent. Personally I prefer the Dakota design, but the Rigby is a more practical choice over here as ammo and brass are far more readily available. Outstanding performer at moderate pressures.

Looking for opinions on the best 480-500 grain 458 bullet for Cape Buffalo at a velocity of around 2150 fps. I think the Swift and Barnes may be too tough and some others not tough enough for buff. Looking for real world experience.
Toby, I would suggest the Dzombo bullet in a 5oo gn range will be great since about every Kruger National park ranger are using them..they are made once a year and available from a friend Gawie Lindeque working at the Southern African Wildlife College in the Kruger National Park, South Africa..

Last edited:
Well, I sold my 458 Lott yesterday, so I no longer really need to know what the best 458 Bullet @2150fps is anymore! Haha!
Maybe there's a 450 Rigby in my future though....
When you had your Lott, did you every shoot .458WM through it? If so, how did the rounds cycle through your gun? And, what brand of rifle was your Lott? I'm torn between the Lott and WM? Thank you!

When you had your Lott, did you every shoot .458WM through it? If so, how did the rounds cycle through your gun? And, what brand of rifle was your Lott? I'm torn between the Lott and WM? Thank you!
No. I never tried WM through it. Mine was a Dakota 76. I would imagine that it would have worked fine with the WM though. They're only 3/10 of an inch different in length, so using different seating depth on your bullets could almost make up any difference in length between the two.

No. I never tried WM through it. Mine was a Dakota 76. I would imagine that it would have worked fine with the WM though. They're only 3/10 of an inch different in length, so using different seating depth on your bullets could almost make up any difference in length between the two.
OK, thanks!

My advice is to make the choice based on actual rifles rather than the calibre. A .458WM built on a standard length action makes for a really handy rifle, whereas a Lott requires a long actin like the Brno 602/CZ550 - which I find a bit unwieldy. Pretty much any 450grn banded mono can readily be driven to 2200fps (or even a bit more) in a WM built on standard length action. This is makes a great load for giraffe, hippo, buffalo and even elephant. The Lott can accommodate 500grn monos at about the same velocities., which makes it more flexible - but at a cost of increased size and additional recoil, If using 500grn bullets in a WM then its best to choose a bullet which has some lead as 500grn monometals will result in powder compression unless seated very long (only possible in some rifles). With an appropriate lead core bullet (like the Woodleigh) you can expect to get around 2150 depending on a number factors, including barrel length. Barrel length on .458WM should ideally not be less than 24" unless you plan to use only 480grn and less. With the Lott you can cut the barrel to 22", obviously at a cost of some velocity - in all likelihood making it perform much like a WM with 24" barrel. So, as I said at the outset, I would advise making the choice based an a particular rifle rather than the calibre per se.

My advice is to make the choice based on actual rifles rather than the calibre. A .458WM built on a standard length action makes for a really handy rifle, whereas a Lott requires a long actin like the Brno 602/CZ550 - which I find a bit unwieldy. Pretty much any 450grn banded mono can readily be driven to 2200fps (or even a bit more) in a WM built on standard length action. This is makes a great load for giraffe, hippo, buffalo and even elephant. The Lott can accommodate 500grn monos at about the same velocities., which makes it more flexible - but at a cost of increased size and additional recoil, If using 500grn bullets in a WM then its best to choose a bullet which has some lead as 500grn monometals will result in powder compression unless seated very long (only possible in some rifles). With an appropriate lead core bullet (like the Woodleigh) you can expect to get around 2150 depending on a number factors, including barrel length. Barrel length on .458WM should ideally not be less than 24" unless you plan to use only 480grn and less. With the Lott you can cut the barrel to 22", obviously at a cost of some velocity - in all likelihood making it perform much like a WM with 24" barrel. So, as I said at the outset, I would advise making the choice based an a particular rifle rather than the calibre per se.
Thank you SO much for your wisdom on this subject. I do prefer a handier long action rifle vs. a magnum action. The recoil of the Lott seems pretty stout without using a brake, which I don't really care for. Thanks again for your response!

Well I'm back in the 458 Business again! Found a great deal on a Winchester Safari Express 458 Win Mag. Now I hate that I sold most of my 458 Bullets! But I do have some Barnes 450gr TSX and Hornady 500 gr DGX on hand to try out.
20190604_175330.jpg

Well I'm back in the 458 Business again! Found a great deal on a Winchester Safari Express 458 Win Mag. Now I hate that I sold most of my 458 Bullets! But I do have some Barnes 450gr TSX and Hornady 500 gr DGX on hand to try out.
View attachment 286984
So.....when you selling it? :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegeafricagroup

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois