Best .338

5000 lbs of energy at 150 yards!?o_Oo_O I don't see any listed loads that give over 5K at the muzzle let alone at 150 yards. Must be some kinda shootin iron you have!:rolleyes:

Applied Ballistics is the program.

Hornady 285gr going 2915fps run the numbers.

I have no reason to bs anyone, like I said I play a different game than most of you. I can't hit small targets at distance if I don't have my act together.

Sounds like a dangerous game to me. I can find no reference to the kinds of velocities you are getting. You must have a long "fast" barrel, and be working on the ragged edge of high pressures. Hope you have a very strong receiver and good safety glasses!

Well OK then. Enjoy.:eek:

Why does everyone think this is some kind of BS load. I have ran this same load out of two different rifles. They were by the same maker but two different rifles.

I shoot long range I shoot very small targets. I have not reason to make stuff up.

The OP asked about a 338, I gave an example of what I have and what it can do.

So a 416 Rigby that can push a 400gr bullet at 2400 to 2500 fps (depending on powder). Neck it down to a 338 and top it with a 285, use a slower burning powder and longer barrel and I can't jump up my speeds 400fps and stay safe?

Wait till you see what kind of speed you can get out of a 25 creedmoor. No that's not a error, I typed it correctly 25 creedmoor.

Why does everyone think this is some kind of BS load. I have ran this same load out of two different rifles. They were by the same maker but two different rifles.

I shoot long range I shoot very small targets. I have not reason to make stuff up.

The OP asked about a 338, I gave an example of what I have and what it can do.

So a 416 Rigby that can push a 400gr bullet at 2400 to 2500 fps (depending on powder). Neck it down to a 338 and top it with a 285, use a slower burning powder and longer barrel and I can't jump up my speeds 400fps and stay safe?

Wait till you see what kind of speed you can get out of a 25 creedmoor. No that's not a error, I typed it correctly 25 creedmoor.

Inline, my apologies for any negativity that may have come across from my comment. I certainly wasn't suggesting any bs from you but my initial impression was that you were loading a .338 Win mag case with a 285gn projectile and achieving 2850fps hence my ridiculous comment regarding the bolt through the forehead comment.

Now I see you have a wildcat cartridge based on the .416 Rigby that you are achieving these ballistics with.

Again my sincerest apologies for an ignorant comment.

Inline, my apologies for any negativity that may have come across from my comment. I certainly wasn't suggesting any bs from you but my initial impression was that you were loading a .338 Win mag case with a 285gn projectile and achieving 2850fps hence my ridiculous comment regarding the bolt through the forehead comment.

Now I see you have a wildcat cartridge based on the .416 Rigby that you are achieving these ballistics with.

Again my sincerest apologies for an ignorant comment.

All good brother! If anyone should know it should be I, how easily text can be taken out of context.

I would not necessarily call a 338 Lapua Magnum a wildcat at this stage in it's life. I just wanted to bring light what case it was based on.

Another fact about this particular round it has the record for the second longest Sniper kill on record 2706 yards.

A good friend of mine operates guided Camel hunts in the arid zone of central Australia.

In a lot of shooting opportunities the complete lack of cover and the head height of the animals dictates some long range shooting on what is essentially a very large beast.

This 338 Lapua sounds like the "duck's nuts" if the shooter is up to the recoil !

A good friend of mine operates guided Camel hunts in the arid zone of central Australia.

In a lot of shooting opportunities the complete lack of cover and the head height of the animals dictates some long range shooting on what is essentially a very large beast.

This 338 Lapua sounds like the "duck's nuts" if the shooter is up to the recoil !

My rifle comes in a few oz. Over 20 pounds decked out. Recoil is very manageable.

My rifle comes in a few oz. Over 20 pounds decked out. Recoil is very manageable.

I’d like to see you do a Sheep hunt with that rifle

Spook, with those ballistics you wouldn't bother carrying it up the hill, just shoot from the bottom and send Geeves up to fetch the kill !!!!

I have carried 80# + for miles in Alaska I'm not saying I did it yesterday. People see weight and don't think hey this cat could be hitting the gym every morning to make sure he can do what he sets out to do. Just because it looks out of the realm doesn't mean it is.

And for the record the Brit the made that shot was a sniper in Afghanistan. It's basically the same weapon system.

I have a 338 Federal (Sako 85 Hunter) and a 338 WM (TC Encore with a muzzlebrake) and I wish I had gone with a 338/06 instead. Not as easy on the shoulder as the 338 Fed and not as powerful as the 338 WM, but I think it would be perfect on elk and plains game. I also have a 35 Whelen, and I'd replace all three with a really nice 338/06 if I had it all to do over again. With 225 grain pills. Handloading is a must with a 338/06.

The 338 WM is a great cartridge, as is the 338 Federal. And I love my Nosler M48 rifle in 35 Whelen enough that it will accompany me to Africa shortly.

But I'd still replace all three with a custom 338/06 if I had it to do over again.

If I was starting over from scratch today, I'd get a 6.5 of some sort (6.5x55 or a Creedmoor and shoot 140g pills), a 300WM (and shoot 180/200 grainers), and a 375 (either H&H or Ruger and shoot 300 grainers). For prairie dogs and coyotes I'd add a bolt gun in 223/5.56 on the smaller end, and when I start hunting buff routinely (gotta get those boys through college first) I'll likely add a 416 Rem/416 Ruger. Since @Llbarr265 already has a 270, he can skip the 6.5.

I also have a 35 Whelen, and I'd replace all three with a really nice 338/06 if I had it all to do over again.
I have a 35 Whelen. My dad has a 338/06. Under real world hunting conditions, I don't think there's any significant difference between them. I'd give the edge to the 338/06 due to bullet selection, but aside from that 1 will do everything the other will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
The .338WM is my favorite cartridge, it does kick on the bench, as Philip just said, but doesn´t bother me at all in the field.

With the right bullet, I´ve had clean kills on all kind of animals up to an eland.

I am lucky to own a Sako L61R since 1987, they just don´t make them like that anymore :D
@Nyati
A lot of people are complaining about the recoil of the 338 on this post. I have not that the joy of fireing the 338 yet
My Whelen equals and surpasses the 338 in most cases and it's a pleasure of the bench and in the field I don't even feel or hear it go off. My 16 year old son handles it without issues and my new to shooting daughter can shoot it off the bench with 200s and 225 grains but finds the 250s @2,700 fps a bit much.
If the 338 bothers go to the Whelen.
Bob.

Have you shot an eland with that setup? I shot one a couple of months ago just behind the shoulder with a 250gr accubond from my Win Mag and it didn't fully exit or even reach the hide on the off side. He went about 30 yards and died, but there was not a drop of blood. It worked out, but that load didn't fully penetrate and I'd honestly call it a bullet failure despite the happy ending. On the same hunt, I had basically the same performance on a Kudu and a Zebra.

Thus, I am at least switching to a Barnes or A-Frame in the 250gr and also potentially going to 340 wby.
@brettp
Just because the bullet didn't pass thru doesn't constitute a bullets failure. Result was one dead eland so where did the bullet fail.
People on this forum have shot them with 375s and the 40s without thru and thru but still one dead animal.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg