Best .338

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Lbarr265, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

Applied Ballistics is the program.

Hornady 285gr going 2915fps run the numbers.

I have no reason to bs anyone, like I said I play a different game than most of you. I can't hit small targets at distance if I don't have my act together.

2. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Sounds like a dangerous game to me. I can find no reference to the kinds of velocities you are getting. You must have a long "fast" barrel, and be working on the ragged edge of high pressures. Hope you have a very strong receiver and good safety glasses!

3. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

AIAX MC 27" barrel. It far from the edge of high pressure.

4. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Well OK then. Enjoy.:eek:

5. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

what is the terminal performance of that bullet like?
    bruce.

6. PaulT

PaulT AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    A bolt through the forehead, i'm guessing.

7. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

Why does everyone think this is some kind of BS load. I have ran this same load out of two different rifles. They were by the same maker but two different rifles.

I shoot long range I shoot very small targets. I have not reason to make stuff up.

The OP asked about a 338, I gave an example of what I have and what it can do.

So a 416 Rigby that can push a 400gr bullet at 2400 to 2500 fps (depending on powder). Neck it down to a 338 and top it with a 285, use a slower burning powder and longer barrel and I can't jump up my speeds 400fps and stay safe?

Wait till you see what kind of speed you can get out of a 25 creedmoor. No that's not a error, I typed it correctly 25 creedmoor.

8. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

25 creedmoor would be to a 25/308 what the 6.5 creedmoor is to the 260 rem, and the 6mm creedmoor is to the 243 win.
    bruce.

9. PaulT

PaulT AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Inline, my apologies for any negativity that may have come across from my comment. I certainly wasn't suggesting any bs from you but my initial impression was that you were loading a .338 Win mag case with a 285gn projectile and achieving 2850fps hence my ridiculous comment regarding the bolt through the forehead comment.

Now I see you have a wildcat cartridge based on the .416 Rigby that you are achieving these ballistics with.

Again my sincerest apologies for an ignorant comment.

10. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

All good brother! If anyone should know it should be I, how easily text can be taken out of context.

I would not necessarily call a 338 Lapua Magnum a wildcat at this stage in it's life. I just wanted to bring light what case it was based on.

Another fact about this particular round it has the record for the second longest Sniper kill on record 2706 yards.

11. PaulT

PaulT AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    A good friend of mine operates guided Camel hunts in the arid zone of central Australia.

In a lot of shooting opportunities the complete lack of cover and the head height of the animals dictates some long range shooting on what is essentially a very large beast.

This 338 Lapua sounds like the "duck's nuts" if the shooter is up to the recoil !

bruce moulds likes this.

12. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    Good for Bull Gerbils and small gophers!!!

13. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

My rifle comes in a few oz. Over 20 pounds decked out. Recoil is very manageable.

14. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    I’d like to see you do a Sheep hunt with that rifle

ve7poi likes this.

15. PaulT

PaulT AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Spook, with those ballistics you wouldn't bother carrying it up the hill, just shoot from the bottom and send Geeves up to fetch the kill !!!!

ufg8r93 and Spooksar like this.

16. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

I have carried 80# + for miles in Alaska I'm not saying I did it yesterday. People see weight and don't think hey this cat could be hitting the gym every morning to make sure he can do what he sets out to do. Just because it looks out of the realm doesn't mean it is.

And for the record the Brit the made that shot was a sniper in Afghanistan. It's basically the same weapon system.

17. ufg8r93

ufg8r93 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    USA: GA, FL, SD, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, UK, Saskatchewan
    I have a 338 Federal (Sako 85 Hunter) and a 338 WM (TC Encore with a muzzlebrake) and I wish I had gone with a 338/06 instead. Not as easy on the shoulder as the 338 Fed and not as powerful as the 338 WM, but I think it would be perfect on elk and plains game. I also have a 35 Whelen, and I'd replace all three with a really nice 338/06 if I had it all to do over again. With 225 grain pills. Handloading is a must with a 338/06.

The 338 WM is a great cartridge, as is the 338 Federal. And I love my Nosler M48 rifle in 35 Whelen enough that it will accompany me to Africa shortly.

But I'd still replace all three with a custom 338/06 if I had it to do over again.

If I was starting over from scratch today, I'd get a 6.5 of some sort (6.5x55 or a Creedmoor and shoot 140g pills), a 300WM (and shoot 180/200 grainers), and a 375 (either H&H or Ruger and shoot 300 grainers). For prairie dogs and coyotes I'd add a bolt gun in 223/5.56 on the smaller end, and when I start hunting buff routinely (gotta get those boys through college first) I'll likely add a 416 Rem/416 Ruger. Since @Llbarr265 already has a 270, he can skip the 6.5.

18. walk-in

walk-in New Member

Member of:
    NRA, Resident Hunters of Alaska
    Hunted:
    United States, Canada
    I have a 35 Whelen. My dad has a 338/06. Under real world hunting conditions, I don't think there's any significant difference between them. I'd give the edge to the 338/06 due to bullet selection, but aside from that 1 will do everything the other will do.

ufg8r93 likes this.