BDL Bottom Metal

Looks like Mesa probably drilled the pin for latch in the wrong spot. Fixing the latch on the trigger guard side is probably a better choice than floor plate latch. Not much metal on that side. Is the floor plate recessed into the bottom metal? If that is the case, I would simply bend the floor plate to take up slack at latch. It is totally flat and should be quite maliable. Recessed the bow in floorplate's shape probably would not be noticeable.
Unfortunately, the floorplate isn't recessed. The latch itself is pretty solid, I don't think bending it would work, it would probably need to be tig welded and fitted. I've popped the latch spring off so I could get a better look at the latch, but I haven't removed the pins. The more I dig into this, the more it seems like I'm going to be writing it off. I will have the gunsmith take a look at it first though.

I think you'd be lucky to find a gunsmith who would make that kind of alteration for $175. Is the Hawken bottom metal machined? That sounds too cheap.

Have you contacted Mesa? Whether you have marked this piece or not, it was clearly screwed up before it went out the door of their shop. So what if you scratched it? Not like they can put it back on the shelf if it was unmarked and sell it to someone else (or did they?). They should fix it or replace it.

I think you'd be lucky to find a gunsmith who would make that kind of alteration for $175. Is the Hawken bottom metal machined? That sounds too cheap.

Have you contacted Mesa? Whether you have marked this piece or not, it was clearly screwed up before it went out the door of their shop. So what if you scratched it? Not like they can put it back on the shelf if it was unmarked and sell it to someone else (or did they?). They should fix it or replace it.
That's a fair point. No, I hadn't contacted Mesa. It's worth a shot. I do really like the Mesa bottom metal on my .300. That one has absolutely no slop in any direction and I like the chamfering that they put all around on all exterior corners.

I believe that most, if not all, of the aftermarket Remington bottom metal options are machined. The magic of CNC. The factory Remington ones are cast. FWIW, I paid $125 (on sale) for the Mesa we're discussing. I think I paid about $160 regular price for the one on the .300. That's a big part of what makes something like a Sunny Hill hard for me to justify.

This is a very lengthy post by non contributing members who choose to bash suggested vendors with whom they have apparently never done business.

This is a very lengthy post by non contributing members who choose to bash suggested vendors with whom they have apparently never done business.
So being a contributing member somehow means your posts hold more weight that a non contributing member? I have contributed to this website but it does not show by my avatar, so I guess my posts hold as much authority as yours. And I have done business with PTG, maybe you can call Chad at LRI and ask him about that major F up of Dave's that cost me a barrel and shipping back to Chad plus the cost of a replacement reamer from Manson that was ground properly as Dave's should have been. That screw up cost me close to a grand to fix and when Dave called me to apologise he never offered to reimburse me for the out of pocket expenses to fix his screw up. Never again with PTG. I also have done plenty of business with Sunny Hill and always got what I ordered in a timely manner and the quality is always top shelf, that is why I recommend him.

So being a contributing member somehow means your posts hold more weight that a non contributing member? I have contributed to this website but it does not show by my avatar, so I guess my posts hold as much authority as yours. And I have done business with PTG, maybe you can call Chad at LRI and ask him about that major F up of Dave's that cost me a barrel and shipping back to Chad plus the cost of a replacement reamer from Manson that was ground properly as Dave's should have been. That screw up cost me close to a grand to fix and when Dave called me to apologise he never offered to reimburse me for the out of pocket expenses to fix his screw up. Never again with PTG. I also have done plenty of business with Sunny Hill and always got what I ordered in a timely manner and the quality is always top shelf, that is why I recommend him.
Asking a quick question is one thing. A lengthy discussion is another. I feel that if you are sucking up the band width of this site you should send Gerome a paypal for it. I too have done business with PTG and have had both favorable and less favorable experiences with them. Chad cost me a barrel, no apology on his part, and I still do business with him. Andy is the worst!!! You have to call him and cajole him into cashing your checks! Everyone has their highs and lows.

Asking a quick question is one thing. A lengthy discussion is another. I feel that if you are sucking up the band width of this site you should send Gerome a paypal for it. I too have done business with PTG and have had both favorable and less favorable experiences with them. Chad cost me a barrel, no apology on his part, and I still do business with him. Andy is the worst!!! You have to call him and cajole him into cashing your checks! Everyone has their highs and lows.
I have asked if there is a way to contribute financially without my avatar being flagged or medalled or whatever. This reminds me of the days when nobility purchased the best pews in gothic churches with their wealthy "contributions." "Look at me. I'm important." My level of contribution should be my business, not yours.

Well I guess if Jerome is hurting for money because I suck up so much of his bandwidth, he can send me a damn invoice.

So much irony in one short post....

To get this back on track; I emailed Mesa on Friday afternoon to see if there's anything they can do or if they have any suggested fixes I can try. I'll update when I hear back from them.

So much irony in one short post....

To get this back on track; I emailed Mesa on Friday afternoon to see if there's anything they can do or if they have any suggested fixes I can try. I'll update when I hear back from them.
Be interested in what they say, just don't use up too much of Jerome's bandwidth it's in very limited supply.

Be interested in what they say, just don't use up too much of Jerome's bandwidth it's in very limited supply.
I shall try to keep my update brief in the hopes of avoiding an excess bandwidth fee.

If the Mesa works out, great. If not, I'll probably try the Hawkins next. I'll definitely inspect it much more thoroughly before installing though.

I used a Sunnyhill dropped bottom metal on my M70 .375 and am happy with the outcome.

I think I also have one (unused) for a short action M700. If interested, PM me and I'll dig it up.

I used a Sunnyhill dropped bottom metal on my M70 .375 and am happy with the outcome.

I think I also have one (unused) for a short action M700. If interested, PM me and I'll dig it up.
Thank you! Message sent.

The issue with the Mesa bottom metal is resolved. I spoke to them today, explained the issue and made clear that I had scuffed it a bit while installing it. They offered to accept it as a return despite it having some scuffs around the perimeter. I asked about an exchange, but they said that there would be a bit of play in the replacement as well, so I accepted their offer to return the part. I'll most likely order a Hawkins to replace it.

I have a Hawkins M5 oberndorf on a Defiance Ruckus 300wm, they are first rate. Buy with confidence. I also have a Sunny Hill aluminum 416 rigby bottom metal on a 300 norma and its super nice too but not worth 2 1/2 times the cost of a Hawkins.
Hawkins
20220618_191451.jpg

Sunny Hill
20220429_130458.jpg

I have a Hawkins M5 oberndorf on a Defiance Ruckus 300wm, they are first rate. Buy with confidence. I also have a Sunny Hill aluminum 416 rigby bottom metal on a 300 norma and its super nice too but not worth 2 1/2 times the cost of a Hawkins.
Hawkins
View attachment 532340
Sunny Hill
View attachment 532341
Thanks for the info! Those look like nice rifles. What are the specs on the .300 Norma?

Just curious, does the Hawkins M5 fit 4 down? In the pic it looks like it has a little extra drop to it. In my case I'd be going with their standard Oberndorf, since it will minimize additional inletting, but I would expect the quality to be the same.

Altus Shooting Solutions
Defiane Deviant Hunter nitrided
26" Proof Reseach sendero contour 1-9 twist
Manners MCS-T carbon fiber
20220429_130615.jpg

Just curious, does the Hawkins M5 fit 4 down? In the pic it looks like it has a little extra drop to it. In my case I'd be going with their standard Oberndorf, since it will minimize additional inletting, but I would expect the quality to be the same.
3 down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.