Barrel Recoil Lug

nksmfamjp

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
MT, OH
How common is a second barrel mounted recoil lug? Is it a CZ only idea, or common on DG bolt rifles? Has good pillar bedding basically eliminated the need for this?

I think that CZ created the second lug because of split stocks that happened to them several years ago. The 'normal' lug is close to the magazine box and so can split at the box. The front lug is a double tie in to the wood and also there is a solid lump of wood behind it to spread the load before the magazine box with its thin sides. I think it is some good thinking by the CZ engineers. Glass bedding and pillar bedding do solve the same problem because they spread the load and reduce the likelihood of a split stock and also improve accuracy. I can only assume the glass bedding or pillar bedding costs more in manufacturing ??

My pre war Winchester Model 70 .375 HH Magnum does not have a second recoil lug. The stock split sometime in the 1970s , when my Maternal Granddad was still using the gun. He had it repaired with epoxy and stove bolts ( well , they look like stove bolts anyway ) .
I strongly believe that most of the new Winchester Model 70 rifles in .375 HH Magnum and larger calibers come with the second recoil lug now.
My Dad's Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 , however does not have a second recoil lug and he bought his in 1984 , when l was 4 years old .

My model 70 safari express has a barrel recoil lug about 4 inches forward of the receiver. It’s was bedded from the factory and the stock was also cross bolted. However I re bedded it with aluminum pillars to prevent stock compression.

My model 70 safari express has a barrel recoil lug about 4 inches forward of the receiver. It’s was bedded from the factory and the stock was also cross bolted. However I re bedded it with aluminum pillars to prevent stock compression.
So they did fix the problem eventually after all . If l recall correctly , this has been done since 1964

Second barrel lugs have been used on hard kicking rifles since the early 1900. Usually seen on custom rifles more than factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg