HookMeUpII

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Jersey, Georgia, RSA
After hunting RSA last month I am now on the lookout for a new rifle. My X-bolt in 300WM performed beyond expectations but I really think I might need something different going forward. I am looking at another 300WM rifle for pretty much everything in the world other than DG in Africa (which I would eventually get a bigger bore). Elk, mule deer, African PG, whitetail, etc.

My current rifle is 26" barrel, 47" long, and about 7 lbs. It's just too big to really carry around through the woods, IMO. I am looking at the Christensen Titanium Ridgeline in 300WM. That is a 24" barrel, LOA I am not sure, and 5.8 lbs. To me that seems very compact and it's not an awful price point at $2400-$2500

What do you typically expect in terms of accuracy over range for a 2" shorter barrel? Their FFT Titanium is 22" barrel but I think that's just too short. I am more realistic in my expectations and don't expect to take super long shots. I would think 300-350 yds would be my initial cap with maybe shots further if my abilities align.

I'm in the market for another X-Bolt or Christensen, and may look at Bergara as well.

Last edited:
5.8 pounds sounds awfully (i.e. too) light to me. As for barrel lengths I would have thought that 26" is about as short as it 'should' be for 300WM. Wouldn't a short barrel just lead to a big fireball, loud boom, but not that much more speed? But I don't own one, so it's just speculation

My own personal thinking is that if would want to have a short-barreled rifle, I'd get a 308, 358win, 9.3x62 or 45-70 or similar.

5.8 pounds sounds awfully (i.e. too) light to me. As for barrel lengths I would have thought that 26" is about as short as it 'should' be for 300WM. Wouldn't a short barrel just lead to a big fireball, loud boom, but not that much more speed? But I don't own one, so it's just speculation

My own personal thinking is that if would want to have a short-barreled rifle, I'd get a 308, 358win, 9.3x62 or 45-70 or similar.

Really the only reason for a shorter barrel would just be to maneuver through the bush. It seems like a lot of the new tech is doing amazing things with shorter barrels. Gun Werks seems to mostly push 22-24" barrel offerings. I personally think 22" is far too short for anything I need.

Weight is debatable. I can handle more recoil for 1-2 shots throughout the day vs having to lug around an additional pound or two.

I'm trying to find where the tradeoff really happens with barrel shortening and accuracy.

Really the only reason for a shorter barrel would just be to maneuver through the bush. It seems like a lot of the new tech is doing amazing things with shorter barrels. Gun Werks seems to mostly push 22-24" barrel offerings. I personally think 22" is far too short for anything I need.

Weight is debatable. I can handle more recoil for 1-2 shots throughout the day vs having to lug around an additional pound or two.

I'm trying to find where the tradeoff really happens with barrel shortening and accuracy.

To save weight look elsewhere to do it. A couple inches of barrel isn't going to weigh that much.

As for accuracy, are you using open sights? If not a couple inches isn't going to matter that much either since a scope could care less if the barrel is 24 inches or 3 feet long. But depending on how long you can hold the rifle while aiming off hand barrel length might matter.

There is zero chance any rifle I am going carry hunting has a 26" barrel, especially for elk and mule deer. 50fps doesn't matter to at all to me at hunting ranges, and I am more willing to stretch out than most. You can adjust your load to a greater degree than any velocity loss you are going to have, if you really have the desire to.

For a lower carry height when the gun is slung on your shoulder, go with a barrel mounted sling swivel.

I have a 7mm RM with a 24" Pacnor barrel. This rifle has always been accurate and only weighs about 8 lbs. scoped.

I don't know how much accuracy is affected, and I guess that there might be powders out there that can make it work without too much muzzle blast. And a 300WM out of an 18" barrel is still going to be faster than a 308W out of an 18" barrel.

I remember reading about a - possibly old - rule-of-thumb stating that the barrel volume should be approx 6.5 times the case volume (this gives the 308W a 20" barrel, 24" for the 30-06 and so on, and these are accepted/normal values) , and that this would mean that a 7mmRM or 300WM would need a 34" barrel, while a 45-70 could make do with 13" in order to have the same pressure at the muzzle. In practice you would probably have the 7mm/300 barrel a bit shorter, but have to accept a louder bang.

This is of course a simplification, and does not look in too much detail to powder choice, bullet weight etc, but... if you have a lot of powder to burn, you will need a longer barrel (or have too high peak pressures).

After hunting RSA last month I am now on the lookout for a new rifle. My X-bolt in 300WM performed beyond expectations but I really think I might need something different going forward. I am looking at another 300WM rifle for pretty much everything in the world other than DG in Africa (which I would eventually get a bigger bore). Elk, mule deer, African PG, whitetail, etc.

My current rifle is 26" barrel, 47" long, and about 7 lbs. It's just too big to really carry around through the woods, IMO. I am looking at the Christensen Titanium Ridgeline in 300WM. That is a 24" barrel, LOA I am not sure, and 5.8 lbs. To me that seems very compact and it's not an awful price point at $2400-$2500

What do you typically expect in terms of accuracy over range for a 2" shorter barrel? Their FFT Titanium is 22" barrel but I think that's just too short. I am more realistic in my expectations and don't expect to take super long shots. I would think 300-350 yds would be my initial cap with maybe shots further if my abilities align.

I'm in the market for another X-Bolt or Christensen, and may look at Bergara as well.

A shorter barrel will not affect accuracy. The problem you will run into with a carbon wrapped barrel is after 2 shots the bullets start walking. As far as barrel length goes are you ever going to run a suppressor? If the answer is yes then you would need to see what the minimum barrel length requirements for the suppressor are. Most I would think handle a 22" barrel. If no suppressor 26" would not kill the deal for me personally.

I am putting a 25" pipe in 7PRC in a R8 they are little over 3" shorter due to their configuration that said I'm adding another 7" adding a can on the end of it. I'm okay with a long barrel and a little extra weight. That said hunting the world means different things for different people. What type of hunting are you thinking? If it is running down Marco Polo sheep, I would save every oz I could vs hunting elk out west.

With today’s improved powders and bullets I don’t think barrel length makes that much difference. I have 3 DG capable rifles a .375 Ruger with a 20 inch barrel a .416 Rigby CZ with a 24 inch barrel and .416 Rigby MRC with a 22 inch barrel. I can’t stand the CZ too long and cumbersome, the MRC is easy to carry but I really like the Ruger Alaskan. Most of my other rifles have 24 inch barrels.

I have been hunting with 22” 300WM rifles for many years. My two non-Blaser 300WM rifles have 21 and 22” barrels, and I get about 2950 fps out of Barnes 180 TTSX, which shoots under 0.5 MOA in both rifles. I’ve taken game out to 500 yards with these rifles, and think that 22” is the sweet spot in this caliber.

A shorter barrel will not affect accuracy. The problem you will run into with a carbon wrapped barrel is after 2 shots the bullets start walking. As far as barrel length goes are you ever going to run a suppressor? If the answer is yes then you would need to see what the minimum barrel length requirements for the suppressor are. Most I would think handle a 22" barrel. If no suppressor 26" would not kill the deal for me personally.

I am putting a 25" pipe in 7PRC in a R8 they are little over 3" shorter due to their configuration that said I'm adding another 7" adding a can on the end of it. I'm okay with a long barrel and a little extra weight. That said hunting the world means different things for different people. What type of hunting are you thinking? If it is running down Marco Polo sheep, I would save every oz I could vs hunting elk out west.
I’ve got a .308 with an 18” Proof barrel and can shoot 10-15 shots in Texas heat before I see any rounds start walking or groups open up. I took it this trip to RSA and every PH who touched it, loved how short/compact it was and how with a 3-15x44 VX5 was just over 6.5lbs loaded. At least 1 is looking at trying to get the same gun and slap a can on it for a camp rifle.

I’ve got a .308 with an 18” Proof barrel and can shoot 10-15 shots in Texas heat before I see any rounds start walking or groups open up. I took it this trip to RSA and every PH who touched it, loved how short/compact it was and how with a 3-15x44 VX5 was just over 6.5lbs loaded. At least 1 is looking at trying to get the same gun and slap a can on it for a camp rifle.

Proof barrel are better than Christensen. I do not like messing with Proof barrel, they are a PITA to setup to chamber. They have a lot of flex to them. I would run a Bartlein CF if CF was what I wanted. Proof doesn't build a bad barrel, I would rather go a different route.

Proof barrel are better than Christensen. I do not like messing with Proof barrel, they are a PITA to setup to chamber. They have a lot of flex to them. I would run a Bartlein CF if CF was what I wanted. Proof doesn't build a bad barrel, I would rather go a different route.
Also a great barrel option.

My comment was more with regards to the statement the rounds start walking after 2 shots. I haven’t shot the Christensen guns but with the proof barreled guns I’ve shot (several dozen) none have had that issue. From my observations I think they actually dissipate heat quicker than a standard barrel including in an AR.

Also a great barrel option.

My comment was more with regards to the statement the rounds start walking after 2 shots. I haven’t shot the Christensen guns but with the proof barreled guns I’ve shot (several dozen) none have had that issue. From my observations I think they actually dissipate heat quicker than a standard barrel including in an AR.

I'm not sure on the dissipation of heat. I will agree that the outside of the barrel is cooler. I'm not sure the the inside cools off as fast. I think the CF acts like an insulator more than a heatsink.

Obviously my opinion is only worth what you pay for it. Proof makes good barrels and have won some comps. Nothing wrong with them, I think the CF barrel world will only get better.

Basically, a 300wsm has a shorter and lighter action with the same ballistic performance as 300wm

To save weight look elsewhere to do it. A couple inches of barrel isn't going to weigh that much.

As for accuracy, are you using open sights? If not a couple inches isn't going to matter that much either since a scope could care less if the barrel is 24 inches or 3 feet long. But depending on how long you can hold the rifle while aiming off hand barrel length might matter.

The length I'm more concerned about maneuvering through the bush. The 26" barrel and 48" OAL was pretty annoying getting under branches, trees, etc.

Cut 2 inches off your current X-bolt and call it good.

It's not worth it. If I do that then it becomes a new CF stock since that's where the weight savings is . From there I'd have to chop and cerakote the barrel because it's SS and shines like a new penny. I'm probably then $1000 or more into a $2000 gun that still isn't quite what I want.

No to the suppressor. I would, I just can't see them ever becoming legal here. I'm really curious about the carbon fiber barrel performance. To your point, I hear mixed reviews from I love them to it's the worst platform I've ever used. To me, the logic is:

Composite Stock + Steel Barrel = Heaviest
CF Stock + Steel Barrel = Lighter
CF Stock + CF Barrel = Lightest

Maybe the compromise I need here is a CF stock + Steel Barrel @ 24" or less?

I have been hunting with 22” 300WM rifles for many years. My two non-Blaser 300WM rifles have 21 and 22” barrels, and I get about 2950 fps out of Barnes 180 TTSX, which shoots under 0.5 MOA in both rifles. I’ve taken game out to 500 yards with these rifles, and think that 22” is the sweet spot in this caliber.

That's really encouraging to hear. If you don't mind me asking, who is the builder on the two non-Blaser?

I'm not sure on the dissipation of heat. I will agree that the outside of the barrel is cooler. I'm not sure the the inside cools off as fast. I think the CF acts like an insulator more than a heatsink.

Obviously my opinion is only worth what you pay for it. Proof makes good barrels and have won some comps. Nothing wrong with them, I think the CF barrel world will only get better.

As I mentioned, I really want to know more about the CF barrels as I have heard both as well. Some say they insulate, some say they dissipate, some say the linings are just as good as all-metal barrels, some say they last 50% or less the lift of an all-metal, etc.

I have a BDL in 270 with a 22" barrel. It's great. For a magnum caliber I would want a 24" barrel. I have a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby that weighs 7.5 lbs unloaded with a Leupold 2-7x scope on it. That's about as light as I would want it. For a 300 Win Mag without scope 6 lbs is a reasonable weight.

That's really encouraging to hear. If you don't mind me asking, who is the builder on the two non-Blaser?
The first is a Dakota Model 76 by Jim Brockman:

The other is a Seekins Havak:

There may be excellent reasons to have a longer than 22” barrel on a 300 WM hunting rifle, but the reliable harvesting of elk out to 500 yards, for instance, is not one of them. Having said that, my Blaser barrel is 25.5”, but the rifle’s OAL is 3” shorter due to its receiver design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross