Barnes TSX or Northfork

i have used the barnes tsx and north forks. i personally think the NF is the finest soft made. (they are not cheap either) the solid shank prevents too much bullet loss, like a barnes tsx. the only real problem i have with the barnes is they have to be shot fast. for a 375 h&h (or my 375 ruger), the 300 gr are not driven fast enough for proper expansion. i suspect the 270's are better in that caliber. the fast 375's would likely not have that problem. I have heard that the tsx are wt rearward and have a tendency to tumble and IVW has spoken to that above. I would like to see a plastic insert in the nose of all the .366 cal and up tsx bullets, to imitate expansion, much like a SA bullet uses (the SA bullet uses a metal insert)

the NF bullets i have recovered were all nice mushrooms and they shoot great in my guns. have used the 375 300 gr and 410 400 gr. i have a 9.3x62 that i will start feeding NF after i get it tuned up a bit. i also am a fan of A frames, (i recently bought some) but if i had to pick one, it would be the NF.

Swift A-frame Scarcity is way more of a problem than cost.
North Fork scarcity in the US, not sure where you are located, is the same as A Frame scarcity. Cannot reliably find either bullet here. I wish I could get my hands on the North Fork 400gr for the 404 but have not seen them in stock for a long time now. I have a decent supply of the A Frames, but prefer the NF.

I’m a big fan and proponent of Barnes bullets. I’ve had great success with them in my ‘06 and they did great for my son in his 243 when he was a little guy. The certainly worked extremely well in my 375.

I did not find the TSX performed well in my 404. Shot well, but based on recovered bullets, they didn’t open well. The solids performed admirably. Of note, I use the flat-point solids, which are no longer listed but apparently they will make them if you ask. My 404 was built specifically to feed the flat-point solids, so I have no issues with them feeding (poor feeding is allegedly why they were discontinued).

Reloading International has a few Northforks in stock but no Swifts or Barnes.

Has anyone shot or tested any of the NF bullets that came from Sweden?

I just received a couple of boxes for my 338 win mag. Haven’t shot or tested yet but they look just like the others I have that were made in the states. Should be doing some load development soon.

I have used NF exclusively for big game in multiple calibers for almost 20 years and they have never let me down. The original owner suggested 380 gn for 404 and they have worked great for plains game and buffalo. Unfortunately I was low on stock when they went out of business. I have enough for a lifetime supply on order right now. No idea when they’ll actually make them but the more people that ordered I’m sure would speed things along.

i have used the barnes tsx and north forks. i personally think the NF is the finest soft made. (they are not cheap either) the solid shank prevents too much bullet loss, like a barnes tsx. the only real problem i have with the barnes is they have to be shot fast. for a 375 h&h (or my 375 ruger), the 300 gr are not driven fast enough for proper expansion. i suspect the 270's are better in that caliber. the fast 375's would likely not have that problem. I have heard that the tsx are wt rearward and have a tendency to tumble and IVW has spoken to that above. I would like to see a plastic insert in the nose of all the .366 cal and up tsx bullets, to imitate expansion, much like a SA bullet uses (the SA bullet uses a metal insert)

the NF bullets i have recovered were all nice mushrooms and they shoot great in my guns. have used the 375 300 gr and 410 400 gr. i have a 9.3x62 that i will start feeding NF after i get it tuned up a bit. i also am a fan of A frames, (i recently bought some) but if i had to pick one, it would be the NF.
Just to assist in what you have said with regard to the TSX "have to be shot fast"
This is actually incorrect and based on a perception and not based on practical experience. I posed this question to the Barnes manufacturers (notwithstanding using Barnes personally for 30years in 3" 458 and 375 H&H)The 300gr .375 Cal TSX will perform perfectly at 375 velocities out to at least 250 yards. Other calibers to do same for the specific caliber.
In as far as tumbling is concerned to what you heard - this is also incorrect. The Barnes design call for the petals to fold over onto the shank of the bullet. Other reputable bullets like Swift AF shed some weight on the nose of the bullet to mushroom over the base. Alas, tumbling has nothing to do with the construction of the bullet insofar Barnes is concerned.
In Africa, North Fork is not available commercially but have only heard good things about this bullet.

Just to assist in what you have said with regard to the TSX "have to be shot fast"
This is actually incorrect and based on a perception and not based on practical experience. I posed this question to the Barnes manufacturers (notwithstanding using Barnes personally for 30years in 3" 458 and 375 H&H)The 300gr .375 Cal TSX will perform perfectly at 375 velocities out to at least 250 yards. Other calibers to do same for the specific caliber.
In as far as tumbling is concerned to what you heard - this is also incorrect. The Barnes design call for the petals to fold over onto the shank of the bullet. Other reputable bullets like Swift AF shed some weight on the nose of the bullet to mushroom over the base. Alas, tumbling has nothing to do with the construction of the bullet insofar Barnes is concerned.
In Africa, North Fork is not available commercially but have only heard good things about this bullet.
You are clueless and have very little experience with Barnes at lower velovities.....

Barnes, A - Frames are great bullets and will perform as long as you load to manufacturer specifications. I have no experience with NF.

DD97279C-8A40-4445-B83B-A96DFC5226AB.JPG
0C8D9898-3634-4B3C-BE38-E0767A5F7F22.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Monometal bullets like velocity. It’s why the new Hornady CX Outfitter 375 load is a 250 Gr bullet.

That’s not to say that they can’t work at lower velocity, but they might not fully expand. This isn’t failure…but is an issue.

Most manufacturers have a published velocity threshold for low vel expansion.

I almost always go with a Barnes. They flat out work…but they work best at higher velocities.

I must call BS on Barnes TSX performing poorly at low velocity. I often find best accuracy at upper limits of safe loading practices but I have killed everything from jackals to Cape Buffalo, with many plains game animals as well as pronghorn, elk, deer, and moose with TSX bullets with muzzle velocities ranging from 2100 FPS to 3500 FPS, in calibers from .223 Remington to .404 Jeffery from up close and personal hand shake distances to over 600 yards. NOT ONE BULLET FAILURE EVER. PERIOD.

Headed to SA in a few weeks.. a buff cow is on the menu along with PG ranging from baboon to zebra..

Barnes TSX will be used on the buff (.375 HH)… Barnes TTSX will be used on everything else(.308)…

I’m a huge Barnes fan for just about every caliber and most animals…

NF is one of a very few expanding bullets that is weight foreward design which avoids any tumbling. They mushroom perfectly and I rate them marginally better than Swift A frame(also weight forward design but relyung on mechanics to achieve that after impact). Rhinos are exceptional but not availible over the pond.
The same cannot be said of the TSX.

Cant understand people still recommending solids for buffalo.....especially round nose barnes.....
This poor guy either can't read or is plain stupid on the subject - still bashing Barnes. You right and everybody else is wrong Gee, Mr v Wyk get it together and start learning from those who know better.

Seems kind of hard to compare bullets by generalities- from hollow point monometals to mechanically controlled expansion partition types to bonded cores to solid base lead cores to thick jacketed to steel encased cores to whatever.....

Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames and the old H-Mantel are in a group by themselves. By far the toughest, most reliable IMO for DG is the A-Frame as it has slightly better jacket/internal design and has bonded front core. Very reliable and predictable penetration and expansion.

There are three similar bonded, lead core bullets with very heavy tapered jackets with very thick base support features- Rhino Soft Point, TBBC (Trophy Bonded Bear Claw) and the North Fork Soft Point. I have no experience with the Rhino but from reliable reports and looking at their construction, easy to predict their performance would be similar to both the TBBC and the North Fork Soft Point. In my experience, both the performance of the TBBCs and the North Fork Soft Points have been flawless and predictable-- much like the A-Frame.

Another contender might be the current bonded form of the Hornady DGX. It is one of the designs with a steel cased core. Based on my testing in tough media, it is a huge improvement over their original non-bonded DGX. But the stigma of the first model of the DGX is hard to shake. Sooo... someone else can report on actual performance on DG. I would pretty good.

Now the Barnes TSX, TTSX. I know for a fact, the TSX/TTSX design is far superior to the their original X- which, IMO, was a real POS! The only flaws I know of in the TSX/TTSX design are very low velocity unreliability and the occasional petal shedding at higher impact velocity and/or through hard tissue like bone. How a shed petal affects straight line penetration?- I don't know but the "rumor mill" indicates it does. I actually had one shed a petal on a buffalo and it didn't seem to matter. Penetration was more than adequate and within expectations and the penetration line was straight- so I am not convinced one way or another?? If you overdo the velocity, hit something hard, turn the bullet into a mangled shard it will likely go wacky no matter its construction :)

I did do a low velocity penetration test on both a spire point FMJ and a Barnes TSX two or three years ago. Both were 30 cal, 150 gr bullets with about 1300 fps impact velocity. Both acted similarly in tough media. Each began veering in an increasing arc shortly after penetration. Neither bullet deformed. That behavior makes sense as both are of similar profile if they don't deform. Both veered in a spiral path as stabilizing rotation slowed after impact. They did not tumble but yawed around their axis as they penetrated causing, IMO, the spiral penetration path. "Tumbling" may occur at the extreme terminus of penetration as a severely yawing bullet quits rotating. Of course that is only one test, so I won't extrapolate it to other conditions or velocities. My experience with the TSX on game has been excellent and I don't plan on shooting anything at a distance where my bullet has slowed to anywhere near 1300 fps! :) I'll leave the sniping stunts to someone else. The longest shot I've had at an animal with a TSX was 260 yds broadside. The TSX 210 gr 338 cal bullet out of a 338-06 with a MV of 2550 fps and was probably going about 1950-2000 fps at impact. It passed through both shoulders of a large bull oryx which piled up dead after running about 50 yds. I assume the petals expanded some since the exit was about 1 1/2" diameter, but the exact extent of petal expansion?- anyone's guess.

I think bullets can be gyroscopically stabilized if spinning fast enough- no matter the media and can be "dart" stabilized as their rotation slows if their center of gravity is in front of the center of aerodynamic or hydrodynamic pressure... therefore @IvW's reference to the "weight forward" attributes of certain bullets during penetration.

Curious, @Jakalas, what is your background, where are you from?

Last edited:
Seems kind of hard to compare bullets by generalities- from hollow point monometals to mechanically controlled expansion partition types to bonded cores to solid base lead cores to thick jacketed to steel encased cores to whatever.....

Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames and the old H-Mantel are in a group by themselves. By far the toughest, most reliable IMO for DG is the A-Frame as it has slightly better jacket/internal design and has bonded front core. Very reliable and predictable penetration and expansion.

There are three similar bonded, lead core bullets with very heavy tapered jackets with very thick base support features- Rhino Soft Point, TBBC (Trophy Bonded Bear Claw) and the North Fork Soft Point. I have no experience with the Rhino but from reliable reports and looking at their construction, easy to predict their performance would be similar to both the TBBC and the North Fork Soft Point. In my experience, both the performance of the TBBCs and the North Fork Soft Points have been flawless and predictable-- much like the A-Frame.

Another contender might be the current bonded form of the Hornady DGX. It is one of the designs with a steel cased core. Based on my testing in tough media, it is a huge improvement over their original non-bonded DGX. But the stigma of the first model of the DGX is hard to shake. Sooo... someone else can report on actual performance on DG. I would pretty good.

Now the Barnes TSX, TTSX. I know for a fact, the TSX/TTSX design is far superior to the their original X- which, IMO, was a real POS! The only flaws I know of in the TSX/TTSX design are very low velocity unreliability and the occasional petal shedding at higher impact velocity and/or through hard tissue like bone. How a shed petal affects straight line penetration?- I don't know but the "rumor mill" indicates it does. I actually had one shed a petal on a buffalo and it didn't seem to matter. Penetration was more than adequate and within expectations and the penetration line was straight- so I am not convinced one way or another?? If you overdo the velocity, hit something hard, turn the bullet into a mangled shard it will likely go wacky no matter its construction :)

I did do a low velocity penetration test on both a spire point FMJ and a Barnes TSX two or three years ago. Both were 30 cal, 150 gr bullets with about 1300 fps impact velocity. Both acted similarly in tough media. Each began veering in an increasing arc shortly after penetration. Neither bullet deformed. That behavior makes sense as both are of similar profile if they don't deform. Both veered in a spiral path as stabilizing rotation slowed after impact. They did not tumble but yawed around their axis as they penetrated causing, IMO, the spiral penetration path. "Tumbling" may occur at the extreme terminus of penetration as a severely yawing bullet quits rotating. Of course that is only one test, so I won't extrapolate it to other conditions or velocities. My experience with the TSX on game has been excellent and I don't plan on shooting anything at a distance where my bullet has slowed to anywhere near 1300 fps! :) I'll leave the sniping stunts to someone else. The longest shot I've had at an animal with a TSX was 260 yds broadside. The TSX 210 gr 338 cal bullet out of a 338-06 with a MV of 2550 fps and was probably going about 1950-2000 fps at impact. It passed through both shoulders of a large bull oryx which piled up dead after running about 50 yds. I assume the petals expanded some since the exit was about 1 1/2" diameter, but the exact extent of petal expansion?- anyone's guess.

I think bullets can be gyroscopically stabilized if spinning fast enough- no matter the media and can be "dart" stabilized as their rotation slows if their center of gravity is in front of the center of aerodynamic or hydrodynamic pressure... therefore @IvW's reference to the "weight forward" attributes of certain bullets during penetration.

Botswana

42 years hunting Africa - Botswana, South Africa, Namibia, Zambia and Zim
Early years hunting problem animals for Bots Wildlife Dept

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!