Barnes Bullets for Buffalo

Where exactly do you place the shot with that bullet on an elephant??

We use the Barnes banded solids for buff follow-ups, elephant and hippo. Swift softs otherwise. The longer, less dense copper bullets eat up too much powder space in shorter cartridges. Fine w/ the 375. Read Kevin Robertson's books (Africa's Most Dangerous, etc.) and consider the 350 gr in .375 for DG.

Where exactly do you place the shot with that bullet on an elephant??
My first elephant, tuskless, was shot with Barnes TSX, first shot slightly above the line of the eyes facing me, knocked her on her butt, 2nd shot was in her chest facing me, 3rd shot was a lung shot. Second elephant with Barnes TSX were 2 lung shots. 3rd, I took with Barnes banded solid, frontal brain shot, went straight down. Going forward Barnes TSX would not be my bullet of choice on elephant, banded solids are a much better way, but in these 2 cases, they worked very well for me.

They are good and they definitely fail on occasion and it has happened to me (my clients) more than once. Almost resulting in a real disaster.

For a Buffalo you should go with a Swift.

The buff on the left was taken with my .404J with a handloaded 400 gr Barnes TSX.

Barnes TXS on Buffalo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!