Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA/SCI/RGS
Hunted
Germany, Holland, Namibia, Honduras
I had my first buffalo hunting conversations with some outfits at SCI last week. I would like to hear from anybody who has used Barnes bullets for buffalo? I have a healthy supply of 300gr and no supply of Swift A Frames. So in case I don't acquire the Swift brand, I would like to know if the Barnes have the history to bolster my confidence. My Mod 70 shoots the Barnes bullet reloads better than I do. Thanks.

I have used on buffalo with 30-378 weatherby, 357 hh, 378 weatherby, 416 Rigby and 460 weatherby work great!!

I’ve shot buffalo and brown bears with both Barnes and Swift. Both performed reliably. I’ve heard some talk of Barnes not expanding much at longer ranges but buffalo should be a shorter range situation.

I have taken a large number of buffalo over the decades scattered all over Africa using various bullets. Since Barnes came out with TSX and TTSX they are pretty much all I have used because of their outstanding performance on Nyati. Primarily 416 Rigby with 400 grains. If your 375 shoots the 300 grain bullets accurately you should be pleased. Swift A Frame are good too.

I had my first buffalo hunting conversations with some outfits at SCI last week. I would like to hear from anybody who has used Barnes bullets for buffalo? I have a healthy supply of 300gr and no supply of Swift A Frames. So in case I don't acquire the Swift brand, I would like to know if the Barnes have the history to bolster my confidence. My Mod 70 shoots the Barnes bullet reloads better than I do. Thanks.
I took one with my .416 Ruger with Barnes TSX. We both followed up but one was all he needed! My Rhino was the .470 in TSX and I’ve used it in many other calibers consistently.
Swift may as well be out of business because I don’t see anything for sale anywhere. Sorry but it’s frustrating these days!

I used a .416 Ruger with 400gr Barnes TSX and Banded solids on the buff in my avatar.
It was a frontal shot. The TSX penetrated thru the heart and was found in the guts. The solid was the “insurance” shot. The buff was laying on it’s side. I penetrated the spine, exited the brisket and lodged in the leg.

AEE91459-5AB9-4295-8741-5A4A99FEDA7D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
2 with the TSX.

Hello ArmyAv8tor,
This buffalo was taken 2021 with a Barnes load 350 grain TSX and Barnes 350 Gr solids. The TSX petals sheared as the bullet tumbled in the animal.

The solid was recovered about 4’ inside the buffalo on a full frontal shot. Two or 3 shots pierced the heart.

See the pictures! The 1st shot anchored the bull and the other 9 shots kept him from getting back on his feet! The Barnes bullet hit like a train! Bullet velocity, 2450 FPS. This big boy went down hard!

94346613-AF23-4590-B0D5-7BA9EC5A9F84.jpeg
ACE0DBDC-BDF9-4C26-A0B7-AF4B9E72D60A.jpeg
E0850748-D7DE-4D88-9934-26C62AB7720F.jpeg
DB01AA8D-0BF6-4824-A97E-4A7D2D0FA7B1.jpeg
EC69B37D-7799-4783-983D-F2BCB426B6F5.jpeg
04BDEE9C-F1EC-4AF0-9B8C-A80856AF61BD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Round nosed solids deflect much easier than meplat solids. Monometal is better for solids than jacketed ones.
Barnes TSX are rear weighted and tumble a lot easier than front weighted expanding bullets. They also sometimes do not expand, partially expand or loose petals. Some swear by them some swear at them....
Heavy for caliber bullets have always performed better than light for caliber bullets on DG.
Ideal velocity for DG 2200-2400 fps.

Round nosed solids deflect much easier than meplat solids. Monometal is better for solids than jacketed ones.
Barnes TSX are rear weighted and tumble a lot easier than front weighted expanding bullets. They also sometimes do not expand, partially expand or loose petals. Some swear by them some swear at them....
Heavy for caliber bullets have always performed better than light for caliber bullets on DG.
Ideal velocity for DG 2200-2400 fps.
Overall I am very happy with the bullet performance. The bull dropped and struggled to rise. The solid cut a straight line into the frontal entry and was captured by the 100lb of wet grass in his rumen. In retrospect I do not mind if the bullet tumbles after the 1st 24” of penetration.

The bullet shock was visible upon impact of both the buffalo and the lion. I would used a Barnes TSX 350 grain with no hesitation. The lighter bullet is also a noticeably reduced recoil Vs. the 400 grain bullets. I loaded both but like the lighter bullet for buffalo and lion.

For elephant, I would definitely go with a Barnes 400 grain bullet!

The 350 gr TSX worked (416 Rem) like a champ on my Zim buffalo. I see zero reason to go lighter.

we basically only use barnes 300gr tsx on our 375 HH rifles which most clients use on plains game and buff etc
in around last 8 years i have never had an issue, they perform extremely well!!!!
as a matter of fact i recommend them above any other bullet!

We have enjoyed great results from Barnes bullets on buffalo. We have yet to have a failure on dangerous game with a Barnes! You can without a doubt have confidence in your tools if they are loaded!

Kind regards,
Dempsey Bayly & Michael Sippel

All great stuff! Thanks so much for your input. Now just have to get busy on the where and when.

Currently getting 430gr 404 Jeff bullets made specifically for buff in expanders and elephant in solids......for my daughters rifle....she may be going to the bvc for her practical year.....

I’ve shot multiple Buffalo and elephant with a .375H&H, using 300 grain Barnes TSX, with great success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg