nomspc

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Namibia
I am heading to Limpopo in May for buffalo, and would like to load the .404 Jeff, 400 grain TSX. What velocity will give me optimal bullet performance?

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Had mine loaded at 2150 FPS two years ago.

nomspc

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Namibia
OK, can I ask you guys who have actually shot a buffalo with this bullet to comment on bullet performance? I’m interested in range of the shot, response of the animal to the shot, as well as penetration/expansion details.

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
OK, can I ask you guys who have actually shot a buffalo with this bullet to comment on bullet performance? I’m interested in range of the shot, response of the animal to the shot, as well as penetration/expansion details.
While I have not used the 404 400gr TSX bullet on buffalo, I have used the 375 300gr TSX on 4 buffalo. In my experience when I was running them at 2450 fps when I hunted Australia water buffalo, they killed very well. However on some of the shots that weren't within 50 yards or less, I noticed the bullets didn't expand nearly as well. So by that, I would say to keep your muzzle velocity up as high as you can stand it, or just use a Swift AF.
I used Swift in my 416 RM on the one buffalo I shot with it and the results were perfect.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
90 yards, head on shot, center of chest. Buff immediately dropped, got up, turned 180 , ran 30 yards and rolled over dead. Bullet came to rest in stomach full of fresh eaten grass.

Barnes TXS on Buffalo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nomspc

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Namibia
Good stuff, thanks.

Bwaybuilder

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Great bullet for Cape Buffalo. I run mine at 2350 in the .404. Shot my last Buffalo with it and bullet preformed flawlessly. Shot was shoulder at 35 yards.

Rem700stw

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF
I am heading to Limpopo in May for buffalo, and would like to load the .404 Jeff, 400 grain TSX. What velocity will give me optimal bullet performance?
82 grains RL17 at 2325 FPS. Shot was quartering towards 75 yards. Spinal shot to cervical/thoracic junction. Dropped to shot. 8 inches of vertebral bone destroyed. Insurance paid with Barnes solid 75 grains RL17 same velocity/point of impact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameshambleton

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh