Barnes .404 Jeffrey 400 Grain Tsx Velocity

@nomspc - how did the buff hunt go? Did the Barnes work well for you? I’m loading some 404J this weekend for my hunt in March - need to decide soon if I will be taking Barnes, woodleigh or swift aframes
From my experience, the Swift is the
Buffalo bullet to use in calibers above 375 with somewhat lower muzzle velocity. I used a 400gr Swift in my 416 Rem at 2350 fps and it worked perfectly on a full frontal shot. The bullet went through the vitals and ended up way back in the guts. When I used 300gr TSX in my 375 for several Buffalo in Australia, they worked great, but I did notice that expansion dropped off once the shots were a little further, and velocity had dropped off. What velocity are you pushing in your 404?

Reactions: IvW
I’ve only shot factory 400 gr Hornady DGX through it so far - haven’t loaded anything yet. I’ve got quite a few boxes of factory loads but most are Hornady and heard mixed reviews of those so going to load some up. Have 20 rounds of Norma 450 gr woodleigh as well. I did scrounge up some brass and now have some once fired brass so going to work up loads

@nomspc - how did the buff hunt go? Did the Barnes work well for you? I’m loading some 404J this weekend for my hunt in March - need to decide soon if I will be taking Barnes, woodleigh or swift aframes
After much back and forth with Kevin Robertson, I decided to take .375 350 gr Woodleigh Weldcore HD loaded to 2300 fps. Killed two buffalo cleanly with no drama, great load. Kevin is a big proponent of heavy-for-caliber bullets, and favors the 450 Woodleighs in .404J. Good luck!

They worked very well for me Cape eland at 200 yds found bullet just at skin picked out with fingers after passing through both shoulders and Buffalo at 20 yds first shot through chest broadside spun and ran for reeds second shot broke neck only one recovered broke a petal off in neck bone recovered so actually count it as 99 % weight retention

After much back and forth with Kevin Robertson, I decided to take .375 350 gr Woodleigh Weldcore HD loaded to 2300 fps. Killed two buffalo cleanly with no drama, great load. Kevin is a big proponent of heavy-for-caliber bullets, and favors the 450 Woodleighs in .404J. Good luck!
Yes they work Exceptionally well

I dont use or recommend TSX especially in larger calibers at moderate velocity as the performance and expansion is just not consistant enough.
Many better expanding bullets availible for the job.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross