Backup Gun!

I took both a 300 win mag and a 375 H&H on my last trip to RSA for plains game. I ended up using both rifles, intermixed, throughout the hunt. It just was a matter of what I grabbed off of the gun rack that day when we got in the truck.

Look, everyone needs a .375. It’s a super versatile caliber and really enjoyable to shoot. It would make a great addition for your trip unless you end up going somewhere that’s super open where long shots are the norm.

You can shoot stienbok in the morning and an elephant in the afternoon with a .375.

Can’t legally do that to SA, unless they changed it, one gun per caliber per person.

Actually you can, you just have to provide a reason. I had two 7x57’s on a trip in 2019. I simply provided a note that one was for backup and the permit went through without a hitch.

Do you have any pics of your game with the rifle in it? I’m obsessed with the maple guns. I was able to get a a5 ultimate in maple and have been waiting for a 725 citori field model to come in maple (if it ever does). I love browning and Winchester guns and it’s nice to see them doing some maple runs of their guns. Trying to get one of each lol.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 38
Since it is an African safari you have to do it justice, this is not the time for pinching. I would have thought that the 375H&H Kimber Caprivi is perfect, it has class.
Definitely a 375HH. There is a multitude of bullet weights you can tailor to the game you are hunting from the tiny 10 to elephant. Ammo is available worldwide and PHs love 375HHs.

Learn how to reload the #1 and it's not so slow. Get your ejection set properly and the shells clear with ease and the reloads fly into the chamber poop through a goose. Get a nice 30mm tube with an illuminated reticle and you're good to go.

I love seeing the maples in the sunlight! They really pop outside! Nice picture!

European rifles ? Holts have a few 375’s in their next auction. Guide prices are good. The 300H&H does appeal to me greatly but the guide price is a bit steep.

Go with what you like. Take two rifles and have a great time. I think you should buy a M70 in .375 H&H and take it with your .300WM. The link is for one on Gunbroker.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.17.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.17.33 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.17.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.17.34 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.17.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.17.35 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Starting the planning of my African safari for sometime in 2024 or 2025. This’ll be my first trip so going for a good mix of plains game. So far on the list is a few zebra (I want set of zebra chairs), Kudu, springbok, gemsbok, warthog and wildebeest. I am hoping to have 10 days of hunting and wouldn’t mind going for a giraffe or Cape buffalo if the opportunity presents itself.

I am taking a model 70 super grade maple in 300wm as my primary rifle. I am starting to think of a backup gun and have been thinking of getting something in 375 H&H. Came real close at buying a 375 H&H Ruger no 1 today but couldn’t see eye to eye on what the gun was worth with the seller.

I love the “allure” of a No 1 but don’t think it’s going to be the right backup gun if I get one in 375. I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting a Cape buffalo with a single shot.

I like the idea of bringing a 375 H&H as a backup since if I decide to go after a buffalo I will have a gun for it. Also seems to me like I won’t be too over gunned on the plains game with it.

Now I am thinking of getting another model 70 but in 375 to bring for backup. Don’t want to go too crazy in price on this gun since it might not get used for this trip but want something nice still in case it gets brought on another trip. I am a big fan of the m77’s too.

Are there any other gun 375 rifles I may be missing out on considering for this? Thanks!
Why not just take a 375 H&H, sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards and you are good to go on anything out to 300 yards. Leave the 300WM at home

I would say the .375 has fallen into my backup gun niche for sure and I have backups to the backup.
1. For a cartridge so useless, they have a nasty problem of replication in the safe.
2. They are impossible to shoot with their heavy recoil.
3. Ammunition is overly spendy, unavailable and difficult to reload.
I have a TC Encore Pro Hunter and I just zeroed that for a rainy day hunting rifle. It has a Simmons 3-9x50 and it's super light. I have no desire to be tracking anything on a rainy day and the scope gathers plenty of light.
I have a Ruger 1-H with a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33. It's not as light, but it swings well on running game and has an excellent trigger. It's beautiful to look at and I enjoy hunting with it.
I have a Winchester Safari Express with either a Leupold FX-II 2.5 x Ultralight or a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 in Warne QD mounts. This is a big sized rifle and I like it for the accurate firepower it brings with it. I do not feel undergunned ever with it around. Would I like to make it a drop box magazine? Yes, but this rifle's future is uncertain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnAle

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,