Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
i went to a small gun show over the week end to look for a few things, i bought a set of dies(20.00)- 1000 cast .30 m-1 carbine bullets(40.00) and two pounds of powder(22.00 each) H-110+H-322. and then this rifle came into view on a table and after looking to over(appeared to be in ex condition) comfirmed later at home. a 700 custom deluxe in .35 whelen(700.00). i sold one of my three 35 whelens last year, and this one brings me back up to three, a ruger #1, a custom van patton 98 mauser and now this remington 700.

DSCN0951 (2).JPG
DSCN0953 (2).JPG
DSCN0954 (2).JPG
DSCN0956 (2).JPG
DSCN0955 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, very productive gun show. Happy to see that you found reloading components at regular prices. Good on you. Oh, and beautiful rifle too. :)

That's great they were running regular pricing on supplies there. I went to a show on the south side of Dallas suburbs this weekend and they were price gouging left and right for ammo and reloading supplies. One of the worst examples was a brick of 500ish .22LR that had a $250 price sticker on it.

Guns and accessories seemed to be in line with typical pricing, but it was disappointing to see prices marked HIGHER than the already ridiculous prices of GunBroker.

That's great they were running regular pricing on supplies there. I went to a show on the south side of Dallas suburbs this weekend and they were price gouging left and right for ammo and reloading supplies. One of the worst examples was a brick of 500ish .22LR that had a $250 price sticker on it.

Guns and accessories seemed to be in line with typical pricing, but it was disappointing to see prices marked HIGHER than the already ridiculous prices of GunBroker.
And the thing about a gun show, is the sellers get to pack up their overpriced stuff and take it home with them....AGAIN!

i went to a small gun show over the week end to look for a few things, i bought a set of dies(20.00)- 1000 cast .30 m-1 carbine bullets(40.00) and two pounds of powder(22.00 each) H-110+H-322. and then this rifle came into view on a table and after looking to over(appeared to be in ex condition) comfirmed later at home. a 700 custom deluxe in .35 whelen(700.00). i sold one of my three 35 whelens last year, and this one brings me back up to three, a ruger #1, a custom van patton 98 mauser and now this remington 700.

View attachment 392228View attachment 392229View attachment 392231View attachment 392232View attachment 392242
@leslie hetrick
As you are back up to 3 rifles in the greatest caliber ever you may consider selling one to @CoElkHunter as he desperately needs one so he can be welcomed into the 35 fold.
It would stop him having nightmares and cure his typing issues. Every time he types 35 Whelen it seems to come out 375.
Oh well at least us smart people have Whelens.
Bob

i would like to help him out, but with the state of things today with firearms and ammo i better keep them for while. i would be glad to send him a few pictures of them. i do own two 375 H&H,s, a remington 700 and a cz-550.

View attachment 392228View attachment 392229View attachment 392231View attachment 392232View attachment 392242
That wasn't a purchase Leslie, that was a steal ! what a lovely rifle.

Nice addition, congrats!

@leslie hetrick
As you are back up to 3 rifles in the greatest caliber ever you may consider selling one to @CoElkHunter as he desperately needs one so he can be welcomed into the 35 fold.
It would stop him having nightmares and cure his typing issues. Every time he types 35 Whelen it seems to come out 375.
Oh well at least us smart people have Whelens.
Bob
Ha! Ha! Bob! I only need ONE .338WM!

@CoElkHunter
Yes I agree mate you only need one.
Once you have ONE WHELEN you won't need another medium bore especially anything under 35 or over 35.
358,35 Whelen, 358 Norma or 358 STW. All 35s and all good.
Maybe you should start with the 358 win, we don't want you getting to excited all at once.
Bob
Bob

I agree, you only need one of the shoulder-slamming Whelen wannabees, who could stand to own two of those things? Most of the Western hunters I talk to seem to have the same cartridge progression they start with the 30-06, then buy a 300WM for more reach, then they buy a 338WM to get more power. Had they just started with a proper caliber the 35 Whelen they would have never had to buy those other rifles and could have gone on an African safari instead.

Full disclosure, I own several 30-06s and a 300WM but since I started using the 35 Whelen they are all just safe queens and back-up rifles.

@CoElkHunter
Yes I agree mate you only need one.
Once you have ONE WHELEN you won't need another medium bore especially anything under 35 or over 35.
358,35 Whelen, 358 Norma or 358 STW. All 35s and all good.
Maybe you should start with the 358 win, we don't want you getting to excited all at once.
Bob
Bob
Bob,
I almost bought a .358 Norma awhile back for a pretty fair deal. Shoulda, coulda, woulda? Somebody on here talked me out of it and now I’m sure it would no longer be a “fair” deal for the next buyer. The .358 STW looks interesting? But, I have lots of .338 brass and no ‘06 brass, so there. I do have lots of .308 and .270 brass though. During this “brassageddon”, we scrounge what we can. It’s like the Dark Ages of reloading amidst the Black Plague!
CEH

I agree, you only need one of the shoulder-slamming Whelen wannabees, who could stand to own two of those things? Most of the Western hunters I talk to seem to have the same cartridge progression they start with the 30-06, then buy a 300WM for more reach, then they buy a 338WM to get more power. Had they just started with a proper caliber the 35 Whelen they would have never had to buy those other rifles and could have gone on an African safari instead.

Full disclosure, I own several 30-06s and a 300WM but since I started using the 35 Whelen they are all just safe queens and back-up rifles.
Art Lambart ll,
My rifle progression went from my Winchester M 70 .270 in the mid ‘70s to my Browning A Bolt .338 in the mid ‘90s when I started hunting elk. My father in law has a Remington 700 .338 and talked me into the .338. I had no other big game rifles in between. But, now thanks to the enablers (bastards) here, I have several larger bore rifles. Why? No real reason, except they’re different and fun to shoot and reload for. I would like to get a Browning X Bolt .270 though some day. As soon as I can budget a disposable $10-12k and can get two plus weeks off from work, I’ll plan an African Safari or a camel shoot in OZ.
CEH

Bob,
I almost bought a .358 Norma awhile back for a pretty fair deal. Shoulda, coulda, woulda? Somebody on here talked me out of it and now I’m sure it would no longer be a “fair” deal for the next buyer. The .358 STW looks interesting? But, I have lots of .338 brass and no ‘06 brass, so there. I do have lots of .308 and .270 brass though. During this “brassageddon”, we scrounge what we can. It’s like the Dark Ages of reloading amidst the Black Plague!
CEH
@CoElkHunter
I'm sure someone would swap you 35 Whelen brass and projectiles for your 338 stuff and 35 bullets will be easier to find than 338s.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
I'm sure someone would swap you 35 Whelen brass and projectiles for your 338 stuff and 35 bullets will be easier to find than 338s.
Bob
Ha! Ha! You could ask 100+ (probably 1K?) hunters HERE if they know what a 35 Whelen is and maybe a handful would know? I would bet 90% would know what a .338WM is. Probably 100% with a Crudmoor? Ha! Ha!

ceh,
if you take all your 338 brass to a machinist, have all the belts turned off, and the correct extractor groove cut, guess what you will have?
cases that when necked up to 9.3mm will be the same as the 9.3x64.
might just be easier to get a reamer for 338 necked up to 9.3 and chamber a new krieger or bartlein .
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg