Back skins into bar stools

D-Orcutt

Reaction score
Going on my first African hunt this may, looking into having some back skins from plains game made into the back rest of bar stools anyone have anything like this done and have ideas or pictures to go off of or advice.

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
No advice but have fun.
Sounds like a good use of the skins and another memento that you can actually use.

outwestidaho

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, cape of south Africa , Namibia, Alaska, British Columbia, Manitoba
We did dinning room chairs with zebra seats from back halfs of my wife's zebra.
20211018_052653.jpg

outwestidaho

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, cape of south Africa , Namibia, Alaska, British Columbia, Manitoba
How many chairs did you get out of a back skin?
We got 4 with enough left over to do 1 more. But I made sure in Africa they didn't cut the cape on the Zebra back at the belly button. I made the cuts about 6 inches behind the shoulders

Last edited:

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
Going on my first African hunt this may, looking into having some back skins from plains game made into the back rest of bar stools anyone have anything like this done and have ideas or pictures to go off of or advice.
used a bunch of leftover backskins for seat covers at a fam farm. just have 'em dry tanned (not wet-tanned for taxidermy) and staple/tack at-will just like you'd do w/ leather. In many cases, you don't even have to remove the original (typ. thin factory pleather) coverings. As many of the skins will be thicker than typ American-Euro game, you may wish to consider using a pneumatic stapler (like a roof stapler) and save your hands!!!

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International

Don't do it with Kudu or Bushbuck. The hair is fragile and prone to slippage. Wildebeest and Zebra will work.

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
@C.W. Richter I wasn't sure the terms (wet vs dry) but know between my 2 Cape buffalo hides one was very soft (for luggage, furniture, etc.) while the other one was stiffer (the tanning company did the wrong procedure - I was told it couldn't be 'undone').

buck wild

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Omay, Zimbabwe; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
@C.W. Richter I wasn't sure the terms (wet vs dry) but know between my 2 Cape buffalo hides one was very soft (for luggage, furniture, etc.) while the other one was stiffer (the tanning company did the wrong procedure - I was told it couldn't be 'undone').

In theory it can be finished out to be a soft, dry cape. There is a percentage of risk that it doesn't work but it wouldn't ruin it. If it doesn't work, it should be no worse than what you currently have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dylan2020!

Latest profile posts

trstallone wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
I've Hunted So.Africa, love to try Romania
Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!
Hello thanks for acceptance to the group, I live on baffin island. Anyone ever hunt in the Arctic?