Back in the Blaser R8 Family

@Aussie_Hunter - Beautiful Kilombero.

Was there a reason you didn’t use a Blaser scope mount?

Thinking the Blaser mount would lower the optic for a better cheekweld and reduce the amount of hardware that are potential failure points.

@Aussie_Hunter - Beautiful Kilombero.

Was there a reason you didn’t use a Blaser scope mount?

Thinking the Blaser mount would lower the optic for a better cheekweld and reduce the amount of hardware that are potential failure points.
No particular reason other than I had a very similar setup on my 500 Jeffery R8 a few years ago and it worked well.
Cheek weld is still good and to be honest any lower and I think I would run out of clearance for my thumb when pushing the cocking mechanism forward.

.... but find myself coming up with reasons why I ‘need’ a Kilombero or Selous. Lol.

I’m not familiar with the R8 platform.

Would you mind explaining what is the difference between the Selous and the Kilombero model?

Cheers.

When I am up close, I usually transition to my Blaser Red Dot which works great. Getting close I use the .75x6 Z8i. The .75 setting really helps up close and you can generally keep both eyes open.

Feels good to be back in the Blaser R8 family, I have been eyeing off this rifle for quite some time, a brand new Blaser R8 Kilombero in 458 Lott. My first introduction to R8's was a professional hunter model in 500 Jeffery that I had for a couple of years and absolutely loved that rifle.

Now I've finally committed to hunting Africa (deposit paid), I thought now would be the perfect time to have an R8 back in the family, being able to take the rifle down very much appeals to me for long travel as well as I already know what to expect in performance from a Blaser and it's chambered in one of my all time favourite cartridges 458 Lott, perfect for buffalo.

The rifle should be in my hands in a couple of weeks, still tossing up options for optics, I tried a red dot and a low power scope on the R8 500 Jefferey I had and both were great options.

I love the unique stock on this rifle, very different to anything I have ever seen before. Can't wait to get it out on the range and starting putting it through it's paces.

View attachment 592075
View attachment 592076
View attachment 592077
View attachment 592078
That stock pattern is so much nicer than the leaping rabbits.

Picked this rifle up today, very happy with it. The stock is amazing!
Mounted a Leupold VX-3 HD 1.5-5 in a set of Leupold rings on top of a genuine Blaser pic rail. Rifle weighs exactly 12lbs with the rail, rings and scope mounted but it's surprising it actually doesn't feel that heavy in the hands. The recoil pad is just slightly harder than a rock! Might get away with not changing it given the weight of the rifle and the recoil reducer in the stock. Feeds, extracts and ejects perfectly, can't wait to get it out on the range this Easter long weekend and put it through its paces. I've loaded up 2 different loads for it, 480 grain RNSN Woodleighs on top of 82.5 grains of RL15 should put them at just over 2200fps and 550 grain RNSN Woodleighs on top of 81 grains of RL15 which should put them at 2150fps.

View attachment 595887
View attachment 595888
View attachment 595889
View attachment 595890
View attachment 595891
View attachment 595892
View attachment 595893
I could live with that stock.

I’m not familiar with the R8 platform.

Would you mind explaining what is the difference between the Selous and the Kilombero model?

Cheers.
They are the same weight and contour barrels. Both wood stocked, steel receiver but the Selous is case hardened and tends to come with a higher grade of wood.

They are both beautiful rifles.

The R8 Selous is the top of the line safari rifle from Blaser. It comes with a color case hardened steel receiver, steel bolt knob, gold trigger, gold bolt head, grade 7 wood (minimum but usually higher) and kickstop.
1711566415429.png

The Kilombero (in short) is the working version of the Selous without the color case hardening and gold accents, but still has grade 7 wood, steel receiver and the kickstop. Also comes in at a significantly lower price.
1711566439104.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atax300

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.