Back in the Blaser R8 Family

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Feels good to be back in the Blaser R8 family, I have been eyeing off this rifle for quite some time, a brand new Blaser R8 Kilombero in 458 Lott. My first introduction to R8's was a professional hunter model in 500 Jeffery that I had for a couple of years and absolutely loved that rifle.

Now I've finally committed to hunting Africa (deposit paid), I thought now would be the perfect time to have an R8 back in the family, being able to take the rifle down very much appeals to me for long travel as well as I already know what to expect in performance from a Blaser and it's chambered in one of my all time favourite cartridges 458 Lott, perfect for buffalo.

The rifle should be in my hands in a couple of weeks, still tossing up options for optics, I tried a red dot and a low power scope on the R8 500 Jefferey I had and both were great options.

I love the unique stock on this rifle, very different to anything I have ever seen before. Can't wait to get it out on the range and starting putting it through it's paces.

1709973250519.jpeg

1709973278769.jpeg

1709973347723.jpeg

1709973372583.jpeg

Looks great
U wont be sorry with a reflex aight and get a low power scope too
Easy to change with qd blaser mounts

A mate just bought an R8 and a couple of extra barrels. He also bought a Blaser 1to 6 (IIRC) on a rail mount. It’s got an illuminated red dot with the IC . Bloody beautiful scope and great setup.

But an Aimpoint H1 or 2 is also hard to beat.

Nice rifle you have .

A mate just bought an R8 and a couple of extra barrels. He also bought a Blaser 1to 6 (IIRC) on a rail mount. It’s got an illuminated red dot with the IC . Bloody beautiful scope and great setup.

But an Aimpoint H1 or 2 is also hard to beat.

Nice rifle you have .
Yeah good chance there is a 416 barrel in my future I reckon

Nice rifle, I like the timber stock.
I think the .458Lott will be a fine Buffalo cartridge

Nice thing about an illuminated 1x6 is that it can act exactly like a reflex without having to switch to a scope for a longer opportunity.

Congrats on the new stick. Very pretty. Hope you love it.

I run a vortex razor gen2e 1-6 on my 375 barrel and like it so much that I use the same glass on old FAL's that I build.

It's illuminated reticle at 1x is wonderful. No need for a red dot.
Capped turrets so nothing to get bumped. Best eye box out there.

Close 2nd would be a vx6 loopy 1-6. main benefit would be Leupold flip caps (quite good) and locking vertical turret if you're wanting to adjust for range. For 375 and up, I don't bother.

Nice thing about an illuminated 1x6 is that it can act exactly like a reflex without having to switch to a scope for a longer opportunity.

I agree. This is the solution I have on my .458 Lott R8 PH. I cannot speak highly enough of the Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24 i.

My wife does not take recoil as well and is terrified at the prospect of being hit by the scope on her 9.3x62 (she is a small woman). For her, the Blaser Red Dot RD20 is perfect.

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome to the family. I have many R8’s and used a Selous 458 Lott topped with a VX6HD Leupold 1x6 fire-dot in Tanzania with great results. Love the rifle and caliber.
Image1710002133.494923.jpg

HH

Very good chance it will end up with a Leupold VX-3HD 1.5-5 on it, I already have this scope on 2 other rifles and use them so much it's like second nature to me looking through those scopes. Having said that I do like how the Aimpoint micro h-2 in a QD saddle mount sits on the Blasers.

What scope do you run on your R8 barrel in 375?

Congrats and welcome to the family. I have many R8’s and used a Selous 458 Lott topped with a VX6HD Leupold 1x6 fire-dot in Tanzania with great results. Love the rifle and caliber.
View attachment 592111

HH
Love the case hardening on the Selous. Don’t even have the R8 professional 375 I bought in my hands yet, but find myself coming up with reasons why I ‘need’ a Kilombero or Selous. Lol.

To the OP, congrats on a beautiful new rifle.

Congratulations! I have a Kilombero myself.

The stocks are indeed superb. I can tell you from personal experience that it's a great feeling knowing you have nice wood.

Incremental increases in confidence translate directly toward hunting success.:cool:

Picked this rifle up today, very happy with it. The stock is amazing!
Mounted a Leupold VX-3 HD 1.5-5 in a set of Leupold rings on top of a genuine Blaser pic rail. Rifle weighs exactly 12lbs with the rail, rings and scope mounted but it's surprising it actually doesn't feel that heavy in the hands. The recoil pad is just slightly harder than a rock! Might get away with not changing it given the weight of the rifle and the recoil reducer in the stock. Feeds, extracts and ejects perfectly, can't wait to get it out on the range this Easter long weekend and put it through its paces. I've loaded up 2 different loads for it, 480 grain RNSN Woodleighs on top of 82.5 grains of RL15 should put them at just over 2200fps and 550 grain RNSN Woodleighs on top of 81 grains of RL15 which should put them at 2150fps.

1711530448157.jpeg

1711530483200.jpeg

1711530627175.jpeg

1711530656850.jpeg

1711530689596.jpeg

1711530722100.jpeg

1711530756708.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianneMo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.