Reaction score
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
ADA, SCI, SFP
Hunted
Australia, NZ, Canada
DSC06124_zpsyqgdn9zc.jpg

Got out for a quick hunt on Saturday morning. Up early but couldn't move too far as the fog was pretty thick and bumped a couple of animals that were not seen. Just as the fog was clearing this old one horned goat appeared. Decided to drop him because he has been eluding us for several years.

DSC06140_zpswt46nlsf.jpg

It was pretty stinky.

Then continued on through some thick scrub and found 6 scrapes in a small area. I knew I was in the right spot for a buck so I was on high alert. I bumped a few does but the buck eluded me. I continued on slowly and heard a buck start up croaking like crazy. I moved down pretty quick to the gully he was holding in and the sign was getting fresher and fresher as I got closer. The wind swirled around the gully and some does started barking. I was caught in some low brush and exposed so I dropped down to the ground as 6 does trotted off trying to work out what they had just scented. I held back waiting for the buck to appear but he was not with the does. Then I caught a glimpse of him trotting off out the mouth of the gully through an open paddock. I hoofed it after him to the edge of the scrub line. As I was about to cross a 60m open grass section I saw him come trotting through a patch of scrub towards me. He looked decent on foot so I gave him a 235gr TSX from the 375 Ruger. Shot placement wasn't great so I gave him another one which dropped him on the spot.

DSC06124_zpsyqgdn9zc.jpg

DSC06097_zps0waxoyqc.jpg

He had a fair neck on him.

Cheers,
JWB300

Attachments

• DSC06097_zps0waxoyqc.jpg
    DSC06097_zps0waxoyqc.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 1,447
Last edited by a moderator:
some good length to him JWB,
nice and green there ,plenty of pick for the animals
that stinker will make a nice floor rug......

Nice dark horns and a good looking coat. I bet he eats well, too. Good hunt.

some good length to him JWB,
nice and green there ,plenty of pick for the animals
that stinker will make a nice floor rug......

Cheers Bluey

That goat was really stinky. By the time I got back to him a few hours later he was bloated and fly blown. I don't think you would ever get the goat smell out of his cape so he stayed there for the eagles.

Nice dark horns and a good looking coat. I bet he eats well, too. Good hunt.

Hi K-man

As it is pretty early in the rut he was still carrying a bit of fat despite the look of his condition. Unfortunately he was old, (maybe around 9) pretty rutty and smelly so it might end up as dog meat. I got about 20kg's of meat off him so will see how it ages over the next week.

Cheers,
JWB300

Hell of a mornings hunt. Congrats!!! I wish we had some deer seasons open right now.

Thanks for sharing. Nice trophies.

Hope the meat ages well.

i'll bet ,that it doesn't ..............
maybe the straps and girrialos
the rest will be tainted, for about the next 5 to 7 weeks.....

Yep it'll probably end up as dog meat

rut meat is usually ,defined as pets mince in our house hold to JWB, if its not tainted its had a fair old flogging ,and is bruised .
atleast you use what you harvest.........
no shame in that...
the worst thing about fallow in rut is the motely cape , some of us go for that look , but id rather a pre rut cape any day of the week

very nice. Love the colors on that deer. Great job

get your ass down here billy , they are looking like that from the queensland border all the way south and west ,including Tasmania , to south Australia, mate .

bluey your country is on the list I hope to take may son to one day. I have not looked into hunting that much there yet. But know that fallow and boar would be on the list for sure. Pm me sometime on some of the rules for a non resident to come there please.

Beautiful fallow, I'll post pictures of mine when I get my ass over there with bluey.

on ya bike , ladd
nows the time
the girl has done 16 out the last 20 days in the high seat , and let a couple of nice hoggies walk , waiting for mr big, shes been watching him since feburary , during their rutt
jeez l hope she gets him , she done all the ground work .......

very nice. Love the colors on that deer. Great job

Thanks Bill,

Fallow come in a number of colours. This is what we call 'common' but they also come in black and white. I just need a decent white one now and I might get all 3 mounted on one mount to display the different colour types.

This is a black one I took last year

DSC05624_zpsf5af3963.jpg

Cheers,
JWB300

Attachments

• DSC05624_zpsf5af3963.jpg
    DSC05624_zpsf5af3963.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a lot of land opened to hunting down there. You have private land or you taking this nice deer on land opened to the public of your country.

Have all 3 colors would make for a great looking mount

+in Victoria and new south wales there is,
but there also a fair bit of opportunity on private property, which of course is a lot easier hunting.
I prefer to walk em up in public land, which is all state forrest and national parks

bluey your country is on the list I hope to take may son to one day. I have not looked into hunting that much there yet. But know that fallow and boar would be on the list for sure. Pm me sometime on some of the rules for a non resident to come there please.

Beautiful fallow, I'll post pictures of mine when I get my ass over there with bluey.

Do I hear AH Australia get together... (n) :P Elmer Fudd::A Banana:

Is there a lot of land opened to hunting down there. You have private land or you taking this nice deer on land opened to the public of your country.

Have all 3 colors would make for a great looking mount

As Bluey said there is a fair bit but often the better country is privately owned. I took these on private property in NSW. In Victoria probably the best deer country (for Sambar) is on public land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg