AR-type Rifles

The kit with all the pieces and parts comes very nicely packaged, but no labeling, numbering or instructions. Each sub-assembly is in an individual zip lock bag. You are on your own when it comes to identifying parts and assembling the gun. My buddy laid all the bags out in roughly the order we'd need them and we actually walked through the instruction pages and discussed each item and the estimated difficulty factor of assembling each component. There were really only about two steps that were difficult. Having a magwell vise block really helps too.

Here's my AR. Its a Christensen Arms CA-15 with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel, Silencerco Saker suppressor, Eotech w/ 3x zoom lens. Its fun to shoot.
20180620_075205.jpg

20180620_075147.jpg

Nice rifle!

I've been thinking about getting a .458 suppressor for my SOCOM upper.. and then getting an adapter so that I could also use it on the 350 Legend upper if so inclined (wouldnt be quite as effective as getting a 35 caliber suppressor to dedicate to the 350L.. but would still work and reduce the sound signature and the muzzle flash significantly..

Would also like to suppress my 556 guns.. but havent taken the plunge into cans yet.. just shot a lot of them paid for by other people (Uncle Sam, friends, etc.. ) :)

Please forgive perhaps a silly question:
Why are some people on Youtube holding the AR style weapons in a really funny looking hold?

The front hand has the thumb over the barrel and it looks really uncomfortable.
When I was a kid I was taught to let the stock rest in the palm of the off hand.
The way I’ve seen some people the front stock seems to be resting on the four fingers.
So I guess I should ask the people I see on Youtube, but I trust you guys a lot more.
Thanks for any info and input.

Why are some people on Youtube holding the AR style weapons in a really funny looking hold?

When I was a kid I was taught to let the stock rest in the palm of the off hand.
The way I’ve seen some people the front stock seems to be resting on the four fingers.
So I guess I should ask the people I see on Youtube, but I trust you guys a lot more.

That is the C-Clamp grip... its been used by US SOF for a fairly long period of time now for CQB application..

Competition shooters that do 3-Gun type stuff also use it extensively

Some of it also has to do with the muzzle devices. I have most of my ARs timed to recoil to the 8 o'clock position, so that style grip provides the least muzzle movement. When you get into shorter barrels, it doesn't work clearly, but if you have the room, it can help with stabilization.

My sole AR is an M16A4 clone. The upper is a real surplus FN M16A4 complete military upper and sits on a Aero Precision "M16A4" marked clone lower. It has a Colt A2 stock to complete the look. The only "upgrades" on it are the internals: LaRue MBT-2S trigger, nitride BCG, Geissele ambi safety, etc.

I am in the market for an AR for defense, range, and just in case there is a ban.

I am intrigued by the Rock River Arnms LAR-15.

There are a ton of good companies in FL making quality ARs, most of which are probably better than Rock River. Veritas Tactical and Spikes Tactical to name just a couple. I do know the guys at Veritas personally, so I may be a bit biased (I also own a Rock River 1911, prior to them dumping the 1911 platform for ARs). SLR Rifleworks makes outstanding receivers, BCGs and Handguards if you want to build your own or customize an off the shelf gun.

That is the C-Clamp grip... its been used by US SOF for a fairly long period of time now for CQB application..

Competition shooters that do 3-Gun type stuff also use it extensively

You also are not in contact with the barrel, just the handguard. A full grip is always going to give you more control then resting it in your palm. For quick shooting, as in Home Defense, control, not pinpoint accuracy, is what you want. I can run 5 shots into a paper plate in under a second at 7 yards using that type of grip.

You also are not in contact with the barrel, just the handguard. A full grip is always going to give you more control then resting it in your palm. For quick shooting, as in Home Defense, control, not pinpoint accuracy, is what you want. I can run 5 shots into a paper plate in under a second at 7 yards using that type of grip.

I found a video of you doing it...

I thought it would be better to create a new thread instead of derailing the Tiny 10 thread. For those of you with an AR-type rifle, why did you choose the one you did? I am in the market for one and @Red Leg has me considering Daniel Defense...

Daniel Defense makes extremely good rifles. Some claim they are over priced, but I don’t share that opinion. Get what you pay for and they are hard to beat IMO. Having said that, my AR10 is a Savage Hunter in 338 Federal. I bought it for hunting big hog and bears. If Daniel Defense built an AR10 in this caliber, I’d probably have looked at if very seriously. I’ve had AR15’s and AR10’s in the standard chamberings but wanted something with more punch for bear and big hogs, thus the 338 Federal. Good luck with your AR search, LOTS of options out there.

A lot of good options. I have owned a bunch but currently have a couple of Colts. Just replaced the triggers with Geissles. I don't really care for ARs outside of the purpose they were originally intended for. If you do decide to put together one of your own, recommend sticking to 5.56/.223. DIY with other calibers can be more challenging as you can sometimes run into unexpected issues with buffer weights and gas ports which reduce reliability. AR10 clones (.308) fall in this camp as well.

Nice rifle!

I've been thinking about getting a .458 suppressor for my SOCOM upper.. and then getting an adapter so that I could also use it on the 350 Legend upper if so inclined (wouldnt be quite as effective as getting a 35 caliber suppressor to dedicate to the 350L.. but would still work and reduce the sound signature and the muzzle flash significantly..

Would also like to suppress my 556 guns.. but havent taken the plunge into cans yet.. just shot a lot of them paid for by other people (Uncle Sam, friends, etc.. ) :)

I have a can coming for my 450 BM. The SilencerCo Hybrid 46. Would work on your 458 *and* your 350 Legend. Has additional direct thread caps and different end caps to use on different calibers. It's been at my dealer for a few months. Waiting on Uncle Sam. :rolleyes:

Once you shoot suppressed it's difficult to go back. I love my 30 cal Harvester. Next I think will be a rimfire can for my 17M2, 22LR, and 22 WMR. I didn't realize what I was missing until I hunted with a suppressed rifle in the UK. Not only does it allow you to hear the impact, it also reduces recoil enough that on many calibers you can see the impact through your scope also.

Guys,
Does any national or international shooting organization offers competition with ar15 rifles?
Not practical shooting like IPSC, but classic type match, prone position or standing?
If so, pls advise the link to their match rules?

Guys,
Does any national or international shooting organization offers competition with ar15 rifles?
Not practical shooting like IPSC, but classic type match, prone position or standing?
If so, pls advise the link to their match rules?

On an international level, other than the IDPA and IPSC, I’d be surprised if there were any.

I found an NRA rulebook for a high power rifle competition that has a 300m AR15 section.

Attachments

• hpr-book.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Your first real decision is do you want to gas or DI. That’s fundamental. All my AR pattern are gas and can fold as a result. Next big decision is pistol or rifle and that will depend on your use cases. Finally do you authentic AR or AR lower compatibility or just want magazine compatibility. My SIG MCXs can use any AR lower but are gas. The MCX lowers though won’t take a standard upper. My SIG 516s are gas as well but with standard lowers. My SCAR 17s are gas and everything is proprietary however I have new lower on them to take AR 10 magazines.

Start with your use case, then pick technology and format for that case. Nearly everyone ends up with several.

The AR platform pretty much took over NRA High Power matches years ago, at all ranges, especially in the Service Rifle class.

It’s funny this threads has surfaced for me. I have a healthy dislike for black guns, but I have an even stronger dislike of being told what I can’t do. So about a week ago I decided I’d start looking into one.

Now AR10/15 platforms are banned up north now, but AR18’s have snuck through. And there only seem to be a few manufacturers of uppers for them.

Are these platforms common south of the 49th? I was thinking if there was more selection, maybe I’d get something shipped up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!