Anyone Have Spare Solids?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I’m heading over to Zim next month. As you may be aware, supplies are pretty low down there. I have no way to bring them ammunition because I’m limited to the calibers for the rifles I’m bringing over which doesn’t help them at all. They do have a licensed reloader in the country that will load them ammo, but he has no bullets.

One PH has a 500 Jeffery
One PH has a 458 Win Mag

Would any of you have “charity case“ solid bullets for either of these calibers you don’t need? Accuracy is completely irrelevant, so no biggie if they were pulled bullets or slightly blemished, solid construction for stopping pachyderms and keeping dumb clients alive is the name of the game.

I’d be happy to pick up the shipping costs. No softs, just solids for professionals.

I’m heading over to Zim next month. As you may be aware, supplies are pretty low down there. I have no way to bring them ammunition because I’m limited to the calibers for the rifles I’m bringing over which doesn’t help them at all. They do have a licensed reloader in the country that will load them ammo, but he has no bullets.

One PH has a 500 Jeffery
One PH has a 458 Win Mag

Would any of you have “charity case“ solid bullets for either of these calibers you don’t need? Accuracy is completely irrelevant, so no biggie if they were pulled bullets or slightly blemished, solid construction for stopping pachyderms and keeping dumb clients alive is the name of the game.

I’d be happy to pick up the shipping costs. No softs, just solids for professionals.
Let me look. I think I have a few boxes of Old Hornady 500 grain “solids” 458 of course

Really old
1613022846065.jpeg

I will check in the morning I have some 500 laying around with no gun to shoot them. Send me a pm with your address rookhawk.

Thanks, guys. Anything you've got to spare will go to Zimbabwe PHs. Beyond them keeping clients safe, they are carrying these when they investigate cattle deaths by dangerous game (they reimburse the villagers for leopard killed cattle so the locals don't poison the cats) and of course PAC work.

I think most of us leave our spare rounds with PHs as part of the tip so they have a bit of ammo, but in Zim you can only bring in loaded ammo for the rifles you are bringing in. Most clients do not bring in calibers that the professionals use over there: 458 win mag, 500 jeff, and 470 and 500 Nitro.

I don't own a 500 jeff or anything like it, nor do I own a .458 WM so I have nothing to offer them.

They have a licensed handloader in Zim (really difficult license to obtain) but they don't have bullets.

You could just buy them CEB safari solids in the calibers they want. Probably simpler.

Thanks, guys. Anything you've got to spare will go to Zimbabwe PHs. Beyond them keeping clients safe, they are carrying these when they investigate cattle deaths by dangerous game (they reimburse the villagers for leopard killed cattle so the locals don't poison the cats) and of course PAC work.

I think most of us leave our spare rounds with PHs as part of the tip so they have a bit of ammo, but in Zim you can only bring in loaded ammo for the rifles you are bringing in. Most clients do not bring in calibers that the professionals use over there: 458 win mag, 500 jeff, and 470 and 500 Nitro.

I don't own a 500 jeff or anything like it, nor do I own a .458 WM so I have nothing to offer them.

They have a licensed handloader in Zim (really difficult license to obtain) but they don't have bullets.
I have 30 of the NEW Hornady .458, 500 grain solids with the STEEL encapsulated, copper jacket. Just checked with a magnet to make sure.
Send me a PM, with shipping information, and I will ship to you.

Thought I still had some 570 grain Woodleighs, but I think I sold all with the CZ .500 Jeffery.

Gotta keep these men going until, hopefully one day I can hunt Africa.

You could just buy them CEB safari solids in the calibers they want. Probably simpler.

I could, Tanks. But then I'm using my capital to bring them over lots of other things and I don't have unlimited capital. Every year, this time 3x in 13 months actually, I bring over army duffels full of stuff they desperately need. Meds. Tech like a couple year old ipads and iphones. Trail cams. AA Batteries. Memory cards.

I was asking if anyone had anything of low worth to them in the realm of bullets so I don't need to buy them, in turn putting my money into things they need that I must buy. (Nobody has free ipads, free Energizer Lithium AAs, etc.)

A box of 50 bullets over there in large bore sizes runs them $100-$150, plus the cost of hiring a smuggler to bring them in from RSA. Basically, it costs them a day or two of working day wages. Some of us have things that we deem worthless and part of our cache.

Thought I'd ask. I receive no material benefit from the request I made on this thread.

I should broaden the conversation here with an offer to anyone reading. I have one spare duffel allowed by the airline for my trip over. If you think you have something you'd like the locals in Zimbabwe to have, I will bring it with and assign it to the type of person you wish.

-Any binos, the local anti-poaching units would probably love them. Same for camelbacks.

-Expired first aid or aspirins and aleve? You bet.

-Gun parts. This is one they need ALL THE TIME. Front sights and rear sights for all makes, especially CZ / BRNO. They fall off. They can't get them. Mauser magazine springs. 375, 458, and 500 bore snakes. These are small, lightweight, unregulated parts that they are always in need of. Imagine what falls off a rifle after 20-50 years of use that cannot be sourced in a third world country.

Have a PH you know in Zim that needs something you have? If its small, send it and I'll bring it over and ensure it gets brought to the right person. **Provided its not a regulated product and is small**

Sounds like they need a couple bullet molds and some hard casting lead.

Hello AH members.

The outpouring of kindness to our African PHs has been incredible.

Thank you to the following folks that donated solids and incidentals. They'll have them in three weeks.

@Firebird
@Edster
@MMAL
@cajunchefray

I really appreciate you pitching in with odds and ends. While mixed-lot solids aren't a big deal to us in the USA, reliable solids for stopping charges inside of 10 yards mean EVERYTHING to the Africans. Every projectile will be used or shared so no one goes into the bush empty.

PM me a good address and I'll send a couple brass bead front sights that fit my Whitworth 458.

One PH has a 500 Jeffery
One PH has a 458 Win Mag

I can spare 570gr 509 barnes flat nose banded solids, 500gr 458 tsx, and 500gr 474 tsx. Let me know where to send it. I can spare 100 each. I dont know how much weight you can carry in a bag. May be a little bit more. Also some medications but need to know what so I can buy them.
Krish

I have a few solids and cz sights. PM me your addrress and I will get them out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,