Any book recommendations

Discussion in 'Hunting TV Shows, Books & Video Discussions' started by tigris115, May 26, 2019.

1. perttime

perttime AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    If firearms and their use is of any interest, one should really read Jeff Cooper's 'To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth". There's a section on his safari impressions in it too.

2. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    (1) Green Hills of Africa
    (2) African Game Trails
    (3) The Perfect Shot, Mini Ed.

3. Firebird

Firebird AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Donarskis' book is still one of my modern favorites, glad it got mentioned. And thanks "Kouprey" I just ordered myself a copy of "The Hunter is Death" on Amazon. Thanks for the tip!:A Rock:

4. Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I ordered one this morning also.

5. Kouprey

Kouprey AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Russia, Austria, Mongolia, Hungary
    You're welcome, firebird.
    You won't be disappointed, Bulpin did a great job with this biography. The book is nicely illustrated with many sketches by Astley-Maberly. Also a lot of information about the legendary ivory hunter Jim Sutherland (who was one of Ruhsby's best friends).

If you are further interested in George Rushby, there's some information about the man in Tony Sanchez-Arino's book "Elephant Hunters, Men of Legend". Sanchez was a friend of Rushby.

Best wishes: Kouprey

bulpin - The_Hunter_is_Death.jpg bulpin 1.jpg bulpin 2.jpg bulpin_cover.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2020

6. tigris115

tigris115 AH Fanatic

Are there any good readings about the South Asian diaspora of East Africa? As someone of Indian heritage, I'd like to know more about this, especially the numerous business owners like Achmed.

7. Kouprey

Kouprey AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Russia, Austria, Mongolia, Hungary
    Very interesting question!
    If you mean the hunting-related asian diaspora i think i can help a little bit.
    As far as i know, no East African Professional Hunter of asian descent has written his memoirs, unfortunately. I think they must have been very private and modest persons.

But there were some famous shikar-guides who are frequently mentioned in other hunter‘s books. Among those very popular PHs were Ikram Hassan, Bali Mauladad (i think he was of pakistani descent) or Mohammed Akbar.

Jan Hemsing wrote a chapter called „Asians, Africans and Whites“ about those asian guides in her book „Encounters with Lions“, maybe you can get this one. Very good historical overview, strictly about lion hunting in British East Africa, many many good photos.

The very same goes for Brian Herne‘s book „White Hunters“. There's a chapter named „The Hassans of Mombasa“ of those hunters of asian descent. Highly recommended history book.

And check out the books by Anthony Dyer like „Men for all seasons“. If i remember correctly, Dyer also writes about men like Bali Mauladad.

Mohammed Akbar shot one of the very biggest Kenya elephants ever - 164 / 174 pounds! A picture of this elephant can be seen in the books by Tony Sanchez-Arino „Elephants, Ivory and Hunters“ and „Ivory“. A short chapter about this elephant is in „Africa‘s Greates Tuskers“, also written by Sanchez (also a chapter about Iqbal Mauladad in it).

Ikram Hassan guided Gary Ingersoll in Kenya in the 1970s - photos and a chapter about this in Ingersoll‘s memoirs „Born to Hunt“.

The book by Leo Roethe „Leo the Lion“ is a good one as well. Roethe and his son were guided by Hassan in the 1950s, also many photos and infos about him in this one.

Not East Africa and not India, but interesting is the life of Pierre-Henri Chanjou. I think his father was french, his mother vietnamese. Grew up in Vietnam, hunted tigers there and later became a professional hunter in French Equatorial Africa (Tchad and Gabon). He was quite successful on lions and leopards because of his tiger hunting experiences. Chanjou wrote his memoirs only in french, a book named „Feu Sacre“. I had this book but sold it, my french is too bad... I think Chanjou is still among the living, but i‘m not sure.

There might be some other books with references to those asian hunters, if i‘m in my library i could check this out. Meanwhile i post some pictures of those books.

Best regards: Kouprey

akbar_sanchez.jpg hassan_ingersoll.jpg hemsing1.jpg hemsing2.jpg hemsing3.jpg hemsing4.jpg hemsing5.jpg herne_hassan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2020
    perttime likes this.

8. tigris115

tigris115 AH Fanatic

I was just talking about diaspora in general but thanks for the recommendations.