Another useless survey- which three rifles for you?

My "fat finger typing" created a wildcat. I meant to type .375 of course.
...and the Brno 22F is a rimless, isn't it?

Given a free pick like Alistair, I would take the Merkel, the Brno, the Anschütz .222 and run....

;)

HWL

Calibers suitable for anything. And they're all doubles. Doesn't get any better than that!

Too much time on my hands during virus lockdown makes me ponder useless "what if" possibilities. So for no other reason than idle curiosity, with the possibility of learning something interesting from members here, this is my question to you:
My firearm collection reflects my tastes and habits, and the species/conditions that I normally hunt. It also reveals what's available for me to purchase. I do not presume that my choices would always applicable to to others. But for the sake of fun discussion,
- if you were limited to choosing only three of the firearms currently in my collection, which of these trios would you pick for all your hunting ( excepting birds and small game) , and please explain why?
#1: Merkel .450-400 3" and 1-4x Kaps, Beretta 9.3x74R and S&B 1.5-8, Krieghoff 16gaX16ga/7x57R and .22 mag insert barrel and 3-9x Kahles
or:
#2: Sako AV .35 Whelen and 3-9x Zeiss, Sako M85 Bavarian 7x64 3-9x Zeiss, Anschutz .222 with 2.5-8x Zeiss
or:
#3 Sako M85 Kodiak .357 H&H and Leupold 1.5-4, Ruger M77 .30-06 and peep sight ( and 3-9x Zeiss) , Rossi M92 .357 Mag with peep sight.
or:
#4 AHR CZ 550 .375 with Kaps 4x, Griesbach custom ZKK 600 .30-06 with Kahles 2.5-7, CZ ZKK 601 .222 with Leupold 3-9x
or:
#5 V-C Impact Plus 9.3x62, with Leupold 1.5-5x, Brno 22F 7x57R with Leupold 2.5x, Anschutz 1433 .22 Hornet, with Leupold 2-7x

View attachment 349441 View attachment 349442 View attachment 349443 View attachment 349444 View attachment 349445
@Longwalker
I would choose number 2
The 35 Whelen, 7x64 and 222.
For all the hunting I do it would cover everything for me from sabre tooth field mice to buffalo.
If needed I could load the 222 down with trail boss to 22 magnum and still have cheap shooting.
BTW love the rifles.
Bob
I wonder what @CBH and @bruce moulds will pick. Me thinks that will be interesting.

#2. Might suit me for Australia.
Nothing to do with Bob Nelson harping on
@CBH
Chris y ou are finally seeing the light mate and notice no mention of the 6.5 manbun or the horrible little caliber 243. The only thing missing is a fast 25 but I do like e the 7x64/280.
Bob

I like #4 all except for that .222. There is one too many twos in the chambering. A brute, a medium rifle and something that is quieter please.
@Forrest Halley
Maybe you misse d a few episodes of sesame street mate their ain't to many 2s. just the egg right amount.
Bob

I'd go #4.

Taking it from the top.

#1 - I like break action rifles very much, but to limit myself to them exclusively would give me issues on the hill in scotland where ranges are longer.
#2 - I don't like 35Whlen. 'nuff said. The 7x64 though? Lovely.
#3 - My second choice. The M85 is a fine rifle, but I do think that ideally I'd want a true CRF for a DG calibre. Plus I'm always a little wary of the ejection angle on Sakos. Also, I've no love whatsoever for the M77 and honestly (yes this is heresy in this company) very little love for Ruger generally. They just don't float my boat. The Rossi is nice though.
#4 - That'd do. Proper CRF on the .375, 30-06 would do for the hill and the .222 is ok I guess.
#5 - 9.3 isn't 375. Yes, it's nearly as good, but no. The Brno is lovely. The .22 Hornet is a silly round.

Given a free pick from all the rifles and scopes listed, I'd probably go:

Merkel in .450-400 - open sights
AHR CZ550 in .375H&H - S&B 1.5-8
Sako M85 Bavarian in 7x64 - 3-9 Zeiss

and just shoot the little stuff with plenty of gun!

Here endeth the lesson!
Al.
@Alistair
Mate hush your mouth. You need to adopt a 35 Whelen. It is a lovely round far more capable than people give it credit for especially when loaded properly..
You are forgiven for not liking it but please be nice to it. It's right up there with the 338 and 9.3x62 a nd people don't hang crap on them.
Bob

I'm with Skinnerblade here for the same reason. But also to jump up to proper DG rifles.

And I don't know which of the three I would substitute for a .404J....maybe the last of the three as I have a 30.06.

I'd go #4.

Taking it from the top.

#1 - I like break action rifles very much, but to limit myself to them exclusively would give me issues on the hill in scotland where ranges are longer.
#2 - I don't like 35Whlen. 'nuff said. The 7x64 though? Lovely.
#3 - My second choice. The M85 is a fine rifle, but I do think that ideally I'd want a true CRF for a DG calibre. Plus I'm always a little wary of the ejection angle on Sakos. Also, I've no love whatsoever for the M77 and honestly (yes this is heresy in this company) very little love for Ruger generally. They just don't float my boat. The Rossi is nice though.
#4 - That'd do. Proper CRF on the .375, 30-06 would do for the hill and the .222 is ok I guess.
#5 - 9.3 isn't 375. Yes, it's nearly as good, but no. The Brno is lovely. The .22 Hornet is a silly round.

Given a free pick from all the rifles and scopes listed, I'd probably go:

Merkel in .450-400 - open sights
AHR CZ550 in .375H&H - S&B 1.5-8
Sako M85 Bavarian in 7x64 - 3-9 Zeiss

and just shoot the little stuff with plenty of gun!

Here endeth the lesson!
Al.
@Alistair
Nothing wrong gv with the 22 hornet mate. It's a great little cartridge. I have a 22K Hornet and have used it on rabitts,goats and wild dogs to great effect. A friend of mine in northern NSW h as even used his to take fallow deer and pigs without issues. How m any other rounds c an you get 700 rounds out of a pound of powder. No recoil, economical, and very accurate. Both mine as nd Niels will shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards that can be covered with the base of a hornet case. It's great t o head shoot a rabbit at 150 yards and see the effect of the impact. The ideal Roe deer cartridge.
Bob.

No 4.
All round battery, world wide, for hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg