Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
My best friend and I have a trip planned with @Limcroma Safaris for next August. He's been in remission from metastatic prostate cancer for 7 years now. But he has to go in for a liver scan this week based on his lab panel, and his PSA is elevated, among other things. For 2025, the plan is nilgai, 2026 is moose.

It may turn out to be nothing, but if it isn't nothing, well, it would mean his prostate cancer has re-metastasized in his liver. If that's the case, his prognosis will likely be poor.

If you've been putting off a cool hunt the way he and I have, well, don't. Those shoulder mounts you bring back will serve as a memorial for your family that you went out and did what you have always dreamed of doing.

Don't wait.

I made the mistake of not getting it while the getting is good. I retired at 71 two years ago. My job was easy and I was making good money, although I could have retired at 50-55 because my wife was making good money and we made some very good investments in real estate and the stock market.
We had two really good years post retirement. Tomorrow I go in for a triple bypass.

I made the mistake of not getting it while the getting is good. I retired at 71 two years ago. My job was easy and I was making good money, although I could have retired at 50-55 because my wife was making good money and we made some very good investments in real estate and the stock market.
We had two really good years post retirement. Tomorrow I go in for a triple bypass.
The good news is that unless there is some permanent damage, you should return to normal function pretty quickly, assuming you don't have any other health issues.

Good luck to your bud. Hope it works out and you both do what you've dreamed of.

@Finprof - all the best for your upcoming 'medical adventure'

A friend who had been to Africa sent me a post card that said " humans have been hunting in Africa for thousands of years, where have you been? Remember, you are not getting any younger and its not getting any cheaper. Go now while you can! " I went the next year, the experience of a lifetime! Prayers for your friend!

Good news - no evidence of cancer. He's good to go, for now.

But given that he got prostate cancer when he was 50, odds of it coming back are pretty high.

Our plans are
2024 South Africa
2025 - south Texas for nilgai (it's really a med school graduation present for my son, but my best friend will take any excuse to use his 375)
2026 - Alaska for moose.
2027 - ??? playing that one by ear; either NZ for stag or back to Africa for cape buffalo.

My friend isn't a fan of Africa, but all of his trips there have been for business - Equatorial Guinea, Nigeria, and Algeria (several times each). All of those are well south of bucket list places to visit, and he's tainted. Hoping RSA changes his mind.

And the only reason he's coming is because he lost a bet. "Ed Orgeron will never win a natty." He had to eat that one. Going into halftime against Bama and LSU scored 2 quick touchdowns in the last 2 minutes of the half, I asked him "Do you smell something?" His response (we were watching the game in his house): "No, I don't smell anything." Sez I: "Man that sure smells like Africa to me." And in response, I got :Finger:

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's heaven for?" -- Robert Browning

Looks like a great slate of hunting trips planned out. Glad your buddy got a good report and will be able to go in these trips with you.

I agree whole heartedly, make plans and do whatever is in your power to make them happen. We only get one trip around the block so to speak, make the best of it and try to finish without too many regrets.

Good news - no evidence of cancer. He's good to go, for now.

But given that he got prostate cancer when he was 50, odds of it coming back are pretty high.

Our plans are
2024 South Africa
2025 - south Texas for nilgai (it's really a med school graduation present for my son, but my best friend will take any excuse to use his 375)
2026 - Alaska for moose.
2027 - ??? playing that one by ear; either NZ for stag or back to Africa for cape buffalo.

My friend isn't a fan of Africa, but all of his trips there have been for business - Equatorial Guinea, Nigeria, and Algeria (several times each). All of those are well south of bucket list places to visit, and he's tainted. Hoping RSA changes his mind.

And the only reason he's coming is because he lost a bet. "Ed Orgeron will never win a natty." He had to eat that one. Going into halftime against Bama and LSU scored 2 quick touchdowns in the last 2 minutes of the half, I asked him "Do you smell something?" His response (we were watching the game in his house): "No, I don't smell anything." Sez I: "Man that sure smells like Africa to me." And in response, I got :Finger:

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's heaven for?" -- Robert Browning

Awesome news! You guys have a great set of hunts planned out! You are right, don't put it off!

A saying I am fond of: "You can always make more money but time never returns!"

Looks like a great slate of hunting trips planned out. Glad your buddy got a good report and will be able to go in these trips with you.

I agree whole heartedly, make plans and do whatever is in your power to make them happen. We only get one trip around the block so to speak, make the best of it and try to finish without too many regrets.
An old friend of Mom and Dad, and he and Dad were co-workers at LSU for about 35 years, I was best friends with his twin boys when we were growing up (they lived 3 houses down from us)...we know each other well.

Stopped by their deer camp (only a couple miles from mine) to talk to him for a few minutes Saturday on my way back to Texas. He's been all over the US hunting - bear, elk, moose, etc. Anyway, he's a big time and very successful hunter. I told him about my upcoming trip to RSA. He's 81 now, still deer hunts, but can't get after it the way he used to. "My only regret in life," he told me, "is I never hunted in Africa."

My best friend and I have a trip planned with @Limcroma Safaris for next August. He's been in remission from metastatic prostate cancer for 7 years now. But he has to go in for a liver scan this week based on his lab panel, and his PSA is elevated, among other things. For 2025, the plan is nilgai, 2026 is moose.

It may turn out to be nothing, but if it isn't nothing, well, it would mean his prostate cancer has re-metastasized in his liver. If that's the case, his prognosis will likely be poor.

If you've been putting off a cool hunt the way he and I have, well, don't. Those shoulder mounts you bring back will serve as a memorial for your family that you went out and did what you have always dreamed of doing.

Don't wait.
Yes this is very true!

My father was a college professor back when teaching at a university paid very little. We liked to think we lived a life of informed if genteel poverty. Our home was Southwest Louisiana, and he was an avid duck hunter and fisherman. But, I listened to him talk about someday catching a rainbow trout my whole life. He died too young in 1987 having never caught that trout. I swore then, I would not wait to fulfill dreams.

My father was a college professor back when teaching at a university paid very little. We liked to think we lived a life of informed if genteel poverty. Our home was Southwest Louisiana, and he was an avid duck hunter and fisherman. But, I listened to him talk about someday catching a rainbow trout my whole life. He died too young in 1987 having never caught that trout. I swore then, I would not wait to fulfill dreams.

There’s a good lesson there! As an oil/ag chem industry engineer/exec, I had job opportunities in many locations. I refused to look at a job anywhere that didn’t have great hunting and fishing. As a result, most of my career was spent in Canada, Wyoming and Alaska. There are many ways to earn money, why not do it where you can enjoy life!?

Being a boomer, I always dreamed of owning a Corvette. When finances leveled out, I bought a new one. My father's words were still ringing in my ears, "Don't be a wish I had". Ironic, he hated that car.

Being a boomer, I always dreamed of owning a Corvette. When finances leveled out, I bought a new one. My father's words were still ringing in my ears, "Don't be a wish I had". Ironic, he hated that car.
Never could understand the lure of a Corvette. I mean where the devil do you put a trailer hitch on one of those things? :E Shrug:

My own cancer diagnosis in 2003 (I was 43) was the impetus to live life vs work, work, work. I'm 20 years free and doing well. I hope your friend can say that in 20 years as well. Ann was fully supportive of my adventurous spirit. We've done the following 'once in a lifetime trips' and will continue:

Alaska SE Coastal Black Bear, Cape buffalo in Zimbabwe and Mozambique, Stag and Tahr in New Zealand, as well as special trips - several river cruises in Europe, two trips to Alaska, Iceland, Paris, etc.

Make the plans and go do them, create those memories together.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PenneyWilk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.