Another Lee Speed style stock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Von Gruff, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Hunting Sailor

Hunting Sailor SILVER SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAHGCA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Sweden, Austria
    Very nice work @Von Gruff.
    I have a Lee Enfield based rifle that I would have loved for you to give a handy and light stock should life have turned out differently and we would have been in the same country.
    Thanks for letting us in on the journey of this rifle.

2. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    A stock is only a piece of wood Gus, and so nothing to stop one being made here and sent there, like a few others I have sent off shore

3. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    @Von Gruff Have read this post with great enjoyment. The jigs you made for drilling the stock bolt hole and attaching to forend cap just saved me many hours of thought for many of my future projects. A couple years back I built a lee speed in 40/60 maynard and just reshaped and refinished the stock and did the basic metal work slapped on a coat or cold blue and put it in the safe and planned on finishing that winter. Well this has given me the inspiration to pull it out and restock and finish properly. Like the bolt peep sight. I also enjoy seeing someone else use the old classic finishes. My red oil stain is 50/50 pure linseed and turps with alkenet root. On light woods I usually put on two coats then use the same BLO 600/1000 grit routine to fill the pores on English walnut. For the carlo walnut no stain but start the filling with 400 grit as the pores are larger. than use a commercial tung oil/varnish mix for several finish coats then rub out with rotten stone. I always have to do some stock work on most all my rifles (15 1/4 LOP) except my doubles most come with enough LOP that the most I have had to do was a little thicker recoil pad. Have a great day!

Von Gruff likes this.

4. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    @AZDAVE be great if you would post up something on your 40-60 MaynardLee Speed.
    As you know the the Lee Speed only applies to the patent for the improvments that JJ Speed made and not the actual stock which was still the military configuration although there was embellishments made to it through some of the comercial outlets. The stock we have come to know as the Lee Speed was the sporter stock that was offered later by BSA and others.
    This is a good read on the subject
    http://rifleman.org.uk/Lee-Speed.htm