sandman0921

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
I have never hunted leopard before, but plan to in the next few years. So I wanted to run this by those who have hunted leopard before, especially the PH's on this forum who have many leopards under their belt.......

I acquired a Pre-64 (1953) Winchester Model 70 barreled action at a relatively good price several months back in 270 WCF (Win). I had been toying with the idea of doing something a little "different" with the barreled action as I already have a "FN" Win M70 Supergrade in 270 Win. The 9.3x62 Mauser cartridge has always interested me because of it's history in Africa, and reputation of being a stalwart cartridge in taking a variety of African, and lately, North American animals. As such, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to mate the two, and create a fantastic African rifle stocked in a nice piece of English walnut. I've had some suggest just having a stock built for the rifle and keeping it a 270 win, but honestly the rifle won't ever have much collector's value because it's missing the original stock. If I decide to purchase a Pre-64 Win M70 as a collector, it will be all original.......Anyway, I digress.

My intention is to use this on heavier plains game, but I thought it would make a great leopard rifle as well. In fact, that's what really got me started on this project. Of all the dangerous game beside Cape Buffalo, I could see doing more than one leopard hunt. Therefore making this more of a "specialized" rifle isn't a waste, so to speak. Also, I hand-load, so I will be basing my decision on component bullets driven at 2400-2500 fps muzzle velocity. So I have a couple of questions:

1) What 9.3 mm bullet would you use with the knowledge that it will be mainly a "leopard" rifle, but also double as a plains game rifle? I know traditional wisdom is to use the old cup and core "deer" bullets for quick expansion and hydrostatic shock that the felines are especially susceptible to. So my thoughts are:

a) Hornady Interlock (286 grain), Speer Hot-Cor (270 grain), etc. - traditional cup and core bullets with
good reputations. Should provide rapid expansion on felines, but not so great on large, hoofed vegan targets of opportunity......

b) Nosler Partition (286 grain) - the original "premium" bullet that has taken many African animals over the years, and thus proven. Soft enough front section for good expansion (good for leopard), but rear section stays together to drive on through with good weight retention which would be better for larger plains game animals. However, would there be concern over zipping right through the leopard, and not providing enough expansion and blood trail, if he doesn't drop from the initial shot?

c) Other?

2) What scope to use? My understanding is that most hides (blinds) are built in the 50-100 yd range from the bait? I'm definitely going to have an illuminated reticle, but as far as scope power, would a true dangerous game scope such as a Leupold VX6 1-6x24 be better, or rather a VX6 2-12x42 for better magnification to make a precision shot. Based on previous discussions in a thread I made regarding scope selection for a 375 H&H Mag rifle I have, I know most will say that the 1-6 x42 will be plenty of magnification at leopard "ranges" but I was curious if others liked having more magnification to zoom in for a precise shot?

As usual, thanks for the advice in advance.

Google "9.3 sectioned " there is a thread on load data and pictures of sectioned projectiles.
The 270 Speer has one of the thinnest jackets so may not be that suitable.

Google "9.3 sectioned " there is a thread on load data and pictures of sectioned projectiles.
The 270 Speer has one of the thinnest jackets so may not be that suitable.

Will do. Thanks for the info.

Very good choice and great idea.
9,3 x 62 never did not disappoint me in Africa.
I use cartridges from Norma with bullet ORYX 285gr ( 18,5g ) and from RWS with bullet softpoint 285gr.
For dangerous game I use cartridges from RWS with bullet TUG 293gr ( 19g ).
Witold

Hi Sandman0921,

Having never shot a leopard, please do take my vote with a grain of salt.

However, I have a fair bit of experience with the Nosler Partition in more than one caliber.

Plus I watched one of my friends from here in Alaska use the 286 gr one in Africa, from his 9.3x74R, hand loaded to factory spec (same velocity as the 9.3x62 factory specifications).

He took several animals with single well placed shots, including a large eland bull.

At around 2350 fps, that heavy 9.3 bullet worked extremely well and yet I would bet as you already mentioned, the front section is very likely to expand even on an animal the size of leopard.

It is I guess a semi spitzer and I wish it was a little more blunt shaped but I am OCD about such things.
In spite of my shade tree opinion about the shape, this 9.3 bullet seems to do exceptionally well.

For truly heavy game like eland or buffalo, I would prefer the Swift A-Frame. but for a combo leopard and PG hunt, the 286 gr NP likely will be one of your best choices at 9.3x62 velocity - IMO.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I haven't shot a leopard but tested the 300gr swift A-Frame and the 286gr woodleigh round nose soft point before my last safari. The woodleigh expanded about 20% more in the test medium than the Aframe. The Aframe performed fantastically on a huge Cape eland and a very nice sable out of my Chapuis double. I would have no reservation using the woodleigh with 9.3x62 at 2400-2500 FPS on Leopard or lion. My next hunt hopefully:)

id recommend Woodleigh bullets, they really excel when it comes to low velocity cartridges. (i prefer them in my NE cartridges)

-matt

RWS UNI Classic or Brenneke TUG 293 grs ( Just the name is different ... today there are RWS and Brenneke ... for the same products ... financial pb ..?)
A classic ammo ! No frill , efficient.

New Breneke TOG (not TIG) plain game 247 grs ??? no opinion

Norma Oryx 325grs according to the game. Good momentum. Oryx is well known.

I own a CZ 550 9.3x62 20" synthetic stock

I have never hunted leopard before, but plan to in the next few years. So I wanted to run this by those who have hunted leopard before, especially the PH's on this forum who have many leopards under their belt.......

I acquired a Pre-64 (1953) Winchester Model 70 barreled action at a relatively good price several months back in 270 WCF (Win). I had been toying with the idea of doing something a little "different" with the barreled action as I already have a "FN" Win M70 Supergrade in 270 Win. The 9.3x62 Mauser cartridge has always interested me because of it's history in Africa, and reputation of being a stalwart cartridge in taking a variety of African, and lately, North American animals. As such, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to mate the two, and create a fantastic African rifle stocked in a nice piece of English walnut. I've had some suggest just having a stock built for the rifle and keeping it a 270 win, but honestly the rifle won't ever have much collector's value because it's missing the original stock. If I decide to purchase a Pre-64 Win M70 as a collector, it will be all original.......Anyway, I digress.

My intention is to use this on heavier plains game, but I thought it would make a great leopard rifle as well. In fact, that's what really got me started on this project. Of all the dangerous game beside Cape Buffalo, I could see doing more than one leopard hunt. Therefore making this more of a "specialized" rifle isn't a waste, so to speak. Also, I hand-load, so I will be basing my decision on component bullets driven at 2400-2500 fps muzzle velocity. So I have a couple of questions:

1) What 9.3 mm bullet would you use with the knowledge that it will be mainly a "leopard" rifle, but also double as a plains game rifle? I know traditional wisdom is to use the old cup and core "deer" bullets for quick expansion and hydrostatic shock that the felines are especially susceptible to. So my thoughts are:

a) Hornady Interlock (286 grain), Speer Hot-Cor (270 grain), etc. - traditional cup and core bullets with
good reputations. Should provide rapid expansion on felines, but not so great on large, hoofed vegan targets of opportunity......

b) Nosler Partition (286 grain) - the original "premium" bullet that has taken many African animals over the years, and thus proven. Soft enough front section for good expansion (good for leopard), but rear section stays together to drive on through with good weight retention which would be better for larger plains game animals. However, would there be concern over zipping right through the leopard, and not providing enough expansion and blood trail, if he doesn't drop from the initial shot?

c) Other?

2) What scope to use? My understanding is that most hides (blinds) are built in the 50-100 yd range from the bait? I'm definitely going to have an illuminated reticle, but as far as scope power, would a true dangerous game scope such as a Leupold VX6 1-6x24 be better, or rather a VX6 2-12x42 for better magnification to make a precision shot. Based on previous discussions in a thread I made regarding scope selection for a 375 H&H Mag rifle I have, I know most will say that the 1-6 x42 will be plenty of magnification at leopard "ranges" but I was curious if others liked having more magnification to zoom in for a precise shot?

@sandman0921
If cape buffalo wasn't on your list I would have said the 35 Whelen but as that is on your list it rules it out.
The late Bruce Moulds was a big fan of t the swift Aframe as it expands well on small game but being bonded and similar to the partition it drives deep as well so could be used for all hunting including buff
Bob

c) Other?

Hello Sandman. I've not hunted leopard but lots of experience with the 9.3X62. I like the Nosler Partition but my vote has to go to the Swift A-Frame. Front core is bonded to the jacket so it won't wipe off (as I've seen happen to Noslers) and is soft enough for rapid expansion and a good wound track through the animal. Just my observation. Good luck on that hunt should you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.