Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
I have never hunted leopard before, but plan to in the next few years. So I wanted to run this by those who have hunted leopard before, especially the PH's on this forum who have many leopards under their belt.......

I acquired a Pre-64 (1953) Winchester Model 70 barreled action at a relatively good price several months back in 270 WCF (Win). I had been toying with the idea of doing something a little "different" with the barreled action as I already have a "FN" Win M70 Supergrade in 270 Win. The 9.3x62 Mauser cartridge has always interested me because of it's history in Africa, and reputation of being a stalwart cartridge in taking a variety of African, and lately, North American animals. As such, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to mate the two, and create a fantastic African rifle stocked in a nice piece of English walnut. I've had some suggest just having a stock built for the rifle and keeping it a 270 win, but honestly the rifle won't ever have much collector's value because it's missing the original stock. If I decide to purchase a Pre-64 Win M70 as a collector, it will be all original.......Anyway, I digress.

My intention is to use this on heavier plains game, but I thought it would make a great leopard rifle as well. In fact, that's what really got me started on this project. Of all the dangerous game beside Cape Buffalo, I could see doing more than one leopard hunt. Therefore making this more of a "specialized" rifle isn't a waste, so to speak. Also, I hand-load, so I will be basing my decision on component bullets driven at 2400-2500 fps muzzle velocity. So I have a couple of questions:

1) What 9.3 mm bullet would you use with the knowledge that it will be mainly a "leopard" rifle, but also double as a plains game rifle? I know traditional wisdom is to use the old cup and core "deer" bullets for quick expansion and hydrostatic shock that the felines are especially susceptible to. So my thoughts are:

a) Hornady Interlock (286 grain), Speer Hot-Cor (270 grain), etc. - traditional cup and core bullets with
good reputations. Should provide rapid expansion on felines, but not so great on large, hoofed vegan targets of opportunity......

b) Nosler Partition (286 grain) - the original "premium" bullet that has taken many African animals over the years, and thus proven. Soft enough front section for good expansion (good for leopard), but rear section stays together to drive on through with good weight retention which would be better for larger plains game animals. However, would there be concern over zipping right through the leopard, and not providing enough expansion and blood trail, if he doesn't drop from the initial shot?

c) Other?

2) What scope to use? My understanding is that most hides (blinds) are built in the 50-100 yd range from the bait? I'm definitely going to have an illuminated reticle, but as far as scope power, would a true dangerous game scope such as a Leupold VX6 1-6x24 be better, or rather a VX6 2-12x42 for better magnification to make a precision shot. Based on previous discussions in a thread I made regarding scope selection for a 375 H&H Mag rifle I have, I know most will say that the 1-6 x42 will be plenty of magnification at leopard "ranges" but I was curious if others liked having more magnification to zoom in for a precise shot?

As usual, thanks for the advice in advance.

stug

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
NZ
Google "9.3 sectioned " there is a thread on load data and pictures of sectioned projectiles.
The 270 Speer has one of the thinnest jackets so may not be that suitable.

sandman0921

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
Google "9.3 sectioned " there is a thread on load data and pictures of sectioned projectiles.
The 270 Speer has one of the thinnest jackets so may not be that suitable.

Will do. Thanks for the info.

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
Very good choice and great idea.
9,3 x 62 never did not disappoint me in Africa.
I use cartridges from Norma with bullet ORYX 285gr ( 18,5g ) and from RWS with bullet softpoint 285gr.
For dangerous game I use cartridges from RWS with bullet TUG 293gr ( 19g ).
Witold

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hi Sandman0921,

Having never shot a leopard, please do take my vote with a grain of salt.

However, I have a fair bit of experience with the Nosler Partition in more than one caliber.

Plus I watched one of my friends from here in Alaska use the 286 gr one in Africa, from his 9.3x74R, hand loaded to factory spec (same velocity as the 9.3x62 factory specifications).

He took several animals with single well placed shots, including a large eland bull.

At around 2350 fps, that heavy 9.3 bullet worked extremely well and yet I would bet as you already mentioned, the front section is very likely to expand even on an animal the size of leopard.

It is I guess a semi spitzer and I wish it was a little more blunt shaped but I am OCD about such things.
In spite of my shade tree opinion about the shape, this 9.3 bullet seems to do exceptionally well.

For truly heavy game like eland or buffalo, I would prefer the Swift A-Frame. but for a combo leopard and PG hunt, the 286 gr NP likely will be one of your best choices at 9.3x62 velocity - IMO.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Lapua Mega bullets, 285 grain are also a good option.

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
I haven't shot a leopard but tested the 300gr swift A-Frame and the 286gr woodleigh round nose soft point before my last safari. The woodleigh expanded about 20% more in the test medium than the Aframe. The Aframe performed fantastically on a huge Cape eland and a very nice sable out of my Chapuis double. I would have no reservation using the woodleigh with 9.3x62 at 2400-2500 FPS on Leopard or lion. My next hunt hopefully:)

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
id recommend Woodleigh bullets, they really excel when it comes to low velocity cartridges. (i prefer them in my NE cartridges)

-matt

ikeda

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, TSRA, SCI
Hunted
Namibia (3), Zimbabwe
A 258gr H Mantel bullet....great on light boned game. The front comes apart like a small hand grenade while the rear 2/3's keeps on going.
Great bullet. I've shot a lot of game with my 9.3.

bebo

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
RWS UNI Classic or Brenneke TUG 293 grs ( Just the name is different ... today there are RWS and Brenneke ... for the same products ... financial pb ..?)
A classic ammo ! No frill , efficient.

New Breneke TOG (not TIG) plain game 247 grs ??? no opinion

Norma Oryx 325grs according to the game. Good momentum. Oryx is well known.

I own a CZ 550 9.3x62 20" synthetic stock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyMosby

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.