Badboymelvin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hey crew,

Well, it seems l have another .300 Win Mag...

We have been doing a big clean out at home and selling a lot of hunting stuff l no longer need/ use, when l saw this rifle advertised...
It had been for sale for a while and l have been watching it's price go lower, and lower, and lower - until it was so low l couldn't bear it any longer... I had the cash, there was .300 Win Mag at a great price so l snapped it up!

Now... it's the same old story that my wife has heard a thousand times before, I didn't NEED this rifle as the ones l already own cover all my hunting needs - but this rifle was such a good price l couldn't refuse...

It's a Weatherby Vanguard - a rifle l really like and l've had several now, and have been happy with all of them. I currently own a Vanguard synthetic in 270WSM that l will never sell...
What's nice about this new particular rifle is it has a nice wood stock which really appeals to me.
Most of my hunting rifles have synthetic stocks and it's nice to have a pretty rifle in the safe again.
I bought the rifle without a scope and am planning to fit a 4-16x44 scope that l just picked up. This particular scope has a nice long 96mm of eye relief and l'm hoping it works well on the .300

This will now be my main Sambar deer rifle. (y)

I have owned a few .30 Mags in the past... a .300 Win Mag, .300 Weatherby Mag and a .308 Norma Mag - and while l think the .300 Weatherby Mag is the coolest, out of all of them I think the .300 Win Mag is the most practical for me.
In my neck of the woods factory ammo is easily available and in a lot of varieties.
As components are hard to come by at the moment down here, l intend to just use factory ammo in it - as a standard 180gn factory load will do anything l ask of it.
I'll try Winchester, Federal, Remington and PPU and use the most accurate but I'm hoping it's the Winchester as I'm a fan of their Powerpoint bullet.

I don't have the rifle yet as it's still in transit but below are a few photo's l have of it. Hopefully l'll have it in a week or so. (y)

It's just about to get into the Sambar season so stay tuned for a hopefully successful hunt report.

9i3BYwB.jpg
ARN7nlD.jpg
CWCvfmO.jpg
j6YcKmi.jpg
oaMsGYf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quoting you ,

“I currently own a Vanguard synthetic in 270WSM that l will never sell...”

Can we hold you to that?

As you were trialing Atomic 29 155gn in your .308 Norma mag I thought I would try some in my .300wm. Do you think they would be ok for Sambar?

Quoting you ,

Can we hold you to that?

As you were trialing Atomic 29 155gn in your .308 Norma mag I thought I would try some in my .300wm. Do you think they would be ok for Sambar?
@CBH Australia
Chris Sambar aren't armour plated mate. The last one I shot was with my Savage in big standard 270 win before I rebarreled it to the Whelen.
It was loaded with 130gn ACPs at a bit over 3,100fps. He was slightly quartering away.One shot and he didn't even take a step, just straight down as if the ground was pulled out from under him. Bullet exited the off side shoulder. Range was less than a hundred yards.
I find people tend to over gun for them I'm my humble opinion. I personally think my 444 Marlin loaded with 280gn Woodleigh rnsp at 2,400fps was to much gun but hey dead is dead. One in the lungs and they were either straight down or a few wobbly steps and fell over usually with an exit hole and a blood trail blind Freddy could follow on a moonless night.
If it was legal I wouldn't feel undergunned with my 25 and 100gn TTSX at 3,600fps but alas I will never know.
Bob

Quoting you ,

Can we hold you to that?

I think you can hold me to that... hopefully!
Seriously, when l sold my first 270WSM l always regretted it.
l just love this cartridge and always felt l made a mistake selling it... so when this one appeared l just had to have it.
And it's accurate too.
I don't think it's going anywhere...

When l was trialling the Atomic 29 projectiles in my 308 Norma l was using the 175gn at a bit over 2900fps.
But l would now use the 155gn if/ when l use them again to get a bit more speed and a flatter trajectory.
I think they would be excellent for Sambar mate (y)

Russ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrvilleFen

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!