Angolan Springbok

Willie Grové

AH member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
21
Reaction score
19
Does any one know were I can bow hunt a Angolan Springbok?
2019-10-23_20.05.02.jpeg
 
Angola, Western and North Western region.

Unfortunately Angola not open for hunting(yet) and the areas they are talking about opening for hunting is in the south east where they do not occur and resembles the Okavango rather than the drier western areas.
 
Angola, Western and North Western region.

Unfortunately Angola not open for hunting(yet) and the areas they are talking about opening for hunting is in the south east where they do not occur and resembles the Okavango rather than the drier western areas.
I heard you can also find them in the north side of Namibia
 
It will not be classified as an Angolan Springbuck in that case.

Taxonomy Antidorcas marsupialis (Zimmerman 1780) ANIMALIA - CHORDATA - MAMMALIA - CETARTIODACTYLA - BOVIDAE - Antidorcas - marsupialis Common names: Springbok (Afrikaans and English), Springbuck (English), Tshephe (Sotho), Ibhadi (Xhosa), Insephe (Zulu) Taxonomic status: Species Taxonomic notes: Meester et al. (1986) listed three subspecies: A. m. marsupialis from the southern part of the range; A. m. hofmeyri from Botswana, Namibia and the Northern Cape; and A. m. angolensis from Angola. While the subspecies distinction is debated, morphometric data reveal a difference in size between Springbok occurring on either sides of the Orange and Vaal Rivers, which is evidence for maintaining subspecies status (Peters & Brink 1992). Further taxonomic research is thus needed to determine the status of two distinct ecotypes from the north (Kalahari region) and the south (Karoo region).
 
It will not be classified as an Angolan Springbuck in that case.

Taxonomy Antidorcas marsupialis (Zimmerman 1780) ANIMALIA - CHORDATA - MAMMALIA - CETARTIODACTYLA - BOVIDAE - Antidorcas - marsupialis Common names: Springbok (Afrikaans and English), Springbuck (English), Tshephe (Sotho), Ibhadi (Xhosa), Insephe (Zulu) Taxonomic status: Species Taxonomic notes: Meester et al. (1986) listed three subspecies: A. m. marsupialis from the southern part of the range; A. m. hofmeyri from Botswana, Namibia and the Northern Cape; and A. m. angolensis from Angola. While the subspecies distinction is debated, morphometric data reveal a difference in size between Springbok occurring on either sides of the Orange and Vaal Rivers, which is evidence for maintaining subspecies status (Peters & Brink 1992). Further taxonomic research is thus needed to determine the status of two distinct ecotypes from the north (Kalahari region) and the south (Karoo region).
Came across this on a study they did.
18-Figure2.1-1~3.jpeg
Screenshot_20191021-070511~2.jpeg
 
It's been two years since this question was asked. Is there any place where you can hunt a Angolan springbok?
 
It's been two years since this question was asked. Is there any place where you can hunt a Angolan springbok?
There is no legal organized hunting in Angola still. What defines an Angolan springbok? I took these in NW Namibia north of veterinary fence, only thing slightly different is the very long ears compared to other springbok I’ve taken.
A82DBF13-F516-4D2E-9469-AE53E44A6F57.jpeg
DEE0F3FB-518A-4787-89AA-9F14879B0FC6.jpeg
 
Would that springbuck classify as a Angolan?
I’ve never heard of an Angolan springbuck as a subspecies prior to this post. Based on map above that includes a significant portion of northern Namibia, yes.
 
I’ve never heard of an Angolan springbuck as a subspecies prior to this post. Based on map above that includes a significant portion of northern Namibia, yes.

I have hunted Northern Namibia just a bit and have never heard of an Angolan Springbuck. :E Shrug: :E Shrug:

Not sure anyone else actually has either.

 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.30.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.30.48 AM.png
    482.4 KB · Views: 242
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.32.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.32.48 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 207
SCI recognizes it as a separate sub spieces but I realize that doesn't make it so.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,282
Messages
1,571,660
Members
169,392
Latest member
ShanelZ418
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top