Angolan Springbok

Willie Grové

AH member
Reaction score
Does any one know were I can bow hunt a Angolan Springbok?
2019-10-23_20.05.02.jpeg

Angola, Western and North Western region.

Unfortunately Angola not open for hunting(yet) and the areas they are talking about opening for hunting is in the south east where they do not occur and resembles the Okavango rather than the drier western areas.

Angola, Western and North Western region.

Unfortunately Angola not open for hunting(yet) and the areas they are talking about opening for hunting is in the south east where they do not occur and resembles the Okavango rather than the drier western areas.
I heard you can also find them in the north side of Namibia

It will not be classified as an Angolan Springbuck in that case.

Taxonomy Antidorcas marsupialis (Zimmerman 1780) ANIMALIA - CHORDATA - MAMMALIA - CETARTIODACTYLA - BOVIDAE - Antidorcas - marsupialis Common names: Springbok (Afrikaans and English), Springbuck (English), Tshephe (Sotho), Ibhadi (Xhosa), Insephe (Zulu) Taxonomic status: Species Taxonomic notes: Meester et al. (1986) listed three subspecies: A. m. marsupialis from the southern part of the range; A. m. hofmeyri from Botswana, Namibia and the Northern Cape; and A. m. angolensis from Angola. While the subspecies distinction is debated, morphometric data reveal a difference in size between Springbok occurring on either sides of the Orange and Vaal Rivers, which is evidence for maintaining subspecies status (Peters & Brink 1992). Further taxonomic research is thus needed to determine the status of two distinct ecotypes from the north (Kalahari region) and the south (Karoo region).

It will not be classified as an Angolan Springbuck in that case.

Taxonomy Antidorcas marsupialis (Zimmerman 1780) ANIMALIA - CHORDATA - MAMMALIA - CETARTIODACTYLA - BOVIDAE - Antidorcas - marsupialis Common names: Springbok (Afrikaans and English), Springbuck (English), Tshephe (Sotho), Ibhadi (Xhosa), Insephe (Zulu) Taxonomic status: Species Taxonomic notes: Meester et al. (1986) listed three subspecies: A. m. marsupialis from the southern part of the range; A. m. hofmeyri from Botswana, Namibia and the Northern Cape; and A. m. angolensis from Angola. While the subspecies distinction is debated, morphometric data reveal a difference in size between Springbok occurring on either sides of the Orange and Vaal Rivers, which is evidence for maintaining subspecies status (Peters & Brink 1992). Further taxonomic research is thus needed to determine the status of two distinct ecotypes from the north (Kalahari region) and the south (Karoo region).
Came across this on a study they did.
18-Figure2.1-1~3.jpeg
Screenshot_20191021-070511~2.jpeg

It's been two years since this question was asked. Is there any place where you can hunt a Angolan springbok?

It's been two years since this question was asked. Is there any place where you can hunt a Angolan springbok?
There is no legal organized hunting in Angola still. What defines an Angolan springbok? I took these in NW Namibia north of veterinary fence, only thing slightly different is the very long ears compared to other springbok I’ve taken.
A82DBF13-F516-4D2E-9469-AE53E44A6F57.jpeg
DEE0F3FB-518A-4787-89AA-9F14879B0FC6.jpeg

Would that springbuck classify as a Angolan?

Would that springbuck classify as a Angolan?
I’ve never heard of an Angolan springbuck as a subspecies prior to this post. Based on map above that includes a significant portion of northern Namibia, yes.

I’ve never heard of an Angolan springbuck as a subspecies prior to this post. Based on map above that includes a significant portion of northern Namibia, yes.

I have hunted Northern Namibia just a bit and have never heard of an Angolan Springbuck. :E Shrug: :E Shrug:

Not sure anyone else actually has either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.30.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.30.48 AM.png
    482.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.32.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.32.48 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 62
SCI recognizes it as a separate sub spieces but I realize that doesn't make it so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg