Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Badgerland Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
Hunted
South Africa, Tanzania
I just read Jerome P's post (Latest Hunting News) about SAA's (possibly new) requirements for transporting ammunition in checked baggage.

SAA's website: currently says: "We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in lockable cases, which can be handed in as loose items at the firearm counters to avoid possible delays during checked baggage screening."

It also says (regarding flights originating outside of SA): "Ammunition may be carried within checked luggage, provided that it is securely packed in a lockable or secure container, and that the total weight does not exceed 5kg's of ammunition per passenger carrying a firearm. (In general, most airlines allow the carriage of ammunition in terms of the dictums of ICAO Dangerous Goods Standards and associated airline processes followed in terms of IATA requirements/guidance)."

I have a flight on SAA to Johannesburg in two weeks. Am I still OK with ammunition in ammo boxes, padded in foam, locked in a steel cash box?

I had to do this to satisfy United Airlines requirements anyway...

browningbbr,
Since you will be flying on both airlines you have to be in compliance with both of them, sounds that you are good for both of them. Go check out AH article called Laws & Regulations for Hunters Traveling with Firearms for more information this topic by clicking here.

Below is the news post that browningbbr is referring to.

united-airlines.jpg

United Airlines link to Firearms page

south-african-airways.jpg

Carriage of firearms on South African Airways

SCI Requests Change In Ammunition Policy By South African Airlines

SCI recently received reports that South African Airlines changed its policy on ammunition transportation and is now requiring international hunters to use a lockable hard sided ammunition box when transporting ammunition on South Africa Airlines airplanes.

After discussions with the SCI South Africa Office, SCI sent a letter to the CEO of South African Airlines asking that this policy be reversed.

Additionally SCI requested that South Africa Airlines readopt the International Air Transport Association guidelines that are used by most airlines. Those guidelines only require that passengers securely pack ammunition in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ammo on SA Airlines

I'm flying SA both ways from the states to Jburg in May what is the lastest on ammo transport? Does it need to be in a lock box in checked baggage and where does the key go-taped to the box or? Or do you need to use a TSP lock? Or can you put it in the rifle case?
Also have about he rifle bolt in the case with the rifle or in checked baggage?
Nebew to SA hunting.

JK

Unless anything has changed since I was in Africa in May 2009. The ammo has to be in a locked container....it can even be a plastic fishing tackle box as long as it can be locked with a pad lock.

Always take the bolt out of the rifle....I kept it in my gun case both times to Africa and had no problems.

As far as TSA locks...I used them...but the rules don't recommend that...and actually say to use your own locks...so only you can open the gun case or ammo case. So I probably will use my own locks next time.

Hope that helps you out!

Salmon - I have attached information that I recently downloaded from SAA's website regarding their firearm & ammo policies. The ammo should definitely be in the checked baggage and not in the case with the firearm. Although in 2008 when we checked in at the SAA counter for our return home from Jo-burg we had to remove our ammo from our checked bag and carry it to the firearm office with the rifle case. I asked the agent what we were supposed to do with the ammo at that point since our checked baggage was on it's way to the plane and she said that they would put it in a plastic bag and attach it to our rifle case. Well, I knew we'd never see that ammo again, but in the firearm office they did allow us to place the ammo in with the firearm and all was well. I thought we might have a problem with Unitd on this once we arrived in Washington, D.C. but I checked with the agents before we re-checked the luggage and they said it was not a problem. So bear in mind that even though you think the rules may be fairly clear, sometimes it all depends on the agent that you get when checking in at the airline counter.

View attachment SAA Firearm & Ammo Policies 020810.pdf

Ammo on SA Airlines

Unless anything has changed since I was in Africa in May 2009. The ammo has to be in a locked container....it can even be a plastic fishing tackle box as long as it can be locked with a pad lock.

Always take the bolt out of the rifle....I kept it in my gun case both times to Africa and had no problems.

As far as TSA locks...I used them...but the rules don't recommend that...and actually say to use your own locks...so only you can open the gun case or ammo case. So I probably will use my own locks next time.

Hope that helps you out!

Thanks a bunch, it all helps! Just trying to sort it all out before the trip:)

..The first time I went to Africa I went with SAA. When leaving Jo berg They wouldn't allow me to put the Ammo in the Luggage like i did when I went there. They Duct Taped trhe Ammo boxes & set it along ide my guns. I figured I'd never see the ammo again but Holy cats it was there when I got to Atlanta. Then I tossed it ont the suit case & proceeded home.
... The 2nd time I went with Delta and had no problems with Ammo. I was not impressed with Delta as the seats were smaller, less comfortable..etc etc. Next time I will pay more money if I have to to fly SAA because it definitely is a step or 2 above Delta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg