Ammo into JNB Question

Get more Form 4457s and another small Pelican case for ammo. Take two gun cases and two ammo cases if two people have Form 4457s. Put regular keyed padlocks on gun cases and put TSA locks on ammo cases.

I used a small MTM ammo can with lock and placed in my checked bag. They didn’t weigh my ammo separately in either trip for me, just the bag as a whole. I used a lock that came with a rifle, the long ones that fit thru an action.

Attachments

• IMG_7975.jpeg
    IMG_7975.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7974.jpeg
    IMG_7974.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
This year United decided on overseas trips you only get one checked bag instead of two, so I plan on using one gun instead of two, and put this in my gun box, so it will be double locked. It has a small spot for a lock, and I will just cut a spot in the foam for it

Attachments

• IMG_7976.jpeg
    IMG_7976.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
It is my understanding that you can fly out of USA with ammo locked within the gun case, which is also locked, but flying out of JNB they will not, so I plan on checking a bag coming home or leaving my ammo with outfitter

This year United decided on overseas trips you only get one checked bag instead of two, so I plan on using one gun instead of two, and put this in my gun box, so it will be double locked. It has a small spot for a lock, and I will just cut a spot in the foam for it
Fryeguy....I am flying United to RSA in May and I get 2 checked bags and so does my wife. We are Mileage members from having their credit card so I think that is why. Worth doing just to get that bonus. For some reason we only get one each on the way back but we are only checking 2 or 3 total including the rifle case.

My wife and I flew Delta to SA in 2022, and had our ammo separated into 2 ammo cans in separate checked luggage, in case one got lost. I had 3 guns, all in my name, in different calibers on 4457 forms. No problem at all. All under the max weight allowed for rifle cases and ammo cans.

I took a 9.3x62, 30-06 and 308. Buddy used my 30-06 so he didn't have to bring a rifle. Wife never even used the 308; she wanted to shoot her sable with my CZ American in 9.3!

My metal ammo case with lock, plastic ammo boxes and packaging always weights significantly more than 5KG. I prepare a list or spread sheet listing caliber, number of rounds, weight each round, total weight per caliber and total weight, all in grams and KG. I add the following statement: “I hereby attest that the above is an accurate and complete accounting of the number and weight of the ammunition in this case.” Then I take the document to a Notary and sign it in front of them. The Notary is verifying my signature, not the weight. I make several color copies and put one in the locked ammunition box and keep the others with my passport. I also tape the chart or list to the outside of the ammunition box. 8 trips to and from South Africa and several other countries and not one problem. Occasionally I have been asked for a copy of the statement so extras are important. I also vary a printout of the airline’s policy on transportation of ammunition as many airline staff do not actually know their company’s policy. On the return trip I write under the certification “Some ammunition has been used and the total weight has been reduced.” No issues with this either.

It is my understanding that you can fly out of USA with ammo locked within the gun case, which is also locked, but flying out of JNB they will not, so I plan on checking a bag coming home or leaving my ammo with outfitter
Wrong. Can put ammo in a TSA locked case inside your suitcase. Then in South Africa, they will make you take it out and check it separately if you have another flight. Cannot put ammo inside gun case when going overseas. Only on domestic flights that start and end in USA can you put ammo inside gun case.

Wrong. Can put ammo in a TSA locked case inside your suitcase. Then in South Africa, they will make you take it out and check it separately if you have another flight. Cannot put ammo inside gun case when going overseas. Only on domestic flights that start and end in USA can you put ammo inside gun case.

Please see the ammunition portion of the TSA link above. Fourth bullet point down. It’s allowed going there, but SA has different rules leaving country.

I do not know what they would do for ammo in between flights in Africa once you get there. I am flying direct to J’burg, so no secondary flights to catch, so it doesn’t matter for me going. As I said coming back home I plan on checking a bag to get ammo home if I bring it, as I may do some shopping there as well. If not I will leave ammo in camp for them or when I go back the next year.

I will check to see what the US customs website says too. You could very well be right and I need to know now instead of later!!

I tried following some of the other links they mentioned. It would take a deep dive, but I sure would like to know. I was going to take an extra empty bag with me anyway in case I get some stuff while there. It would be easy enough talking with TSA people when they check guns before going thru security.

I have never had them weigh ammo in USA, but they do in SA.

All six trips since 2018. Flying out of Houston on either Delta, United or Qatar.
Have been asked to remove ammo from checked bag and had it weighed. Qatar actually remove ammo from lock box and just weigh the ammo on one trip. Ammo in checked luggage bag, not allowed in gun case! All airlines have been strict on that on check in. They all say domestic flights ok. But International flight must be in separate checked bag. On return flights out of JNB only had ammo weighed 2 times. Also on gun case. I have flown non business and at the 50lb limit. Limit is for free baggage, mu gun case with 3 rifles weighs in at 64-65 lbs usually. Delta is $100 extra charge on over 50 under 70. So I happily pay it. And will again this June flying Delta Premium.

Mark,
That’s for another personal experience. Looks like I will either talk to them when I go, or just check another bag and suck it up. It stinks that United only does one checked bag now

I tried following some of the other links they mentioned. It would take a deep dive, but I sure would like to know. I was going to take an extra empty bag with me anyway in case I get some stuff while there. It would be easy enough talking with TSA people when they check guns before going thru security.

I have never had them weigh ammo in USA, but they do in SA.
In three trips USA to JNB, one transfer through and return Zimbabwe to JNB return, JNB to PE return to JNB to USA, I've never had my ammo weighted, counted, nor checked. But then again I've always used Henry Rifle Premits for pre-approved SAPS 520. Harare, Zimbabwe that was a unique experience as I have previously mentioned a couple of times.

Doing DIY firearms import may be a different experience.

The only time that my ammo was weighed was in 2022 on my return flight on Qatar out of Joberg.

As for how to pack it weather you just fly into Joberg or jump on Airlink I'd place my ammo into a proper carrier where "boxes" of ammo could be removed all at one time, just as a convenience to me.

Please see the ammunition portion of the TSA link above. Fourth bullet point down. It’s allowed going there, but SA has different rules leaving country.

I do not know what they would do for ammo in between flights in Africa once you get there. I am flying direct to J’burg, so no secondary flights to catch, so it doesn’t matter for me going. As I said coming back home I plan on checking a bag to get ammo home if I bring it, as I may do some shopping there as well. If not I will leave ammo in camp for them or when I go back the next year.

I will check to see what the US customs website says too. You could very well be right and I need to know now instead of later!!
Those are USA regulations, not African. @Mark Biggerstaff is correct.

Thanks for the heads up, sorting out different arrangements now. Suck having to check another bag both ways. I am not really shooting that much this year. The rep may just take my ammo over when he goes. 20 rounds will get me thru easy. I hope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfredoYua

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.