AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
So I was just sitting here looking at some photos of this years hunts and they got me thinking. I used to shoot deer and antelope and drag them for miles back to the truck or back to camp,
IMG_2223.jpg
IMG_2113.jpg
IMG_2117.jpg
but this year was different. Take a look at these photos and tell me what you think. Am I getting smarter or just getting older?

Agreed - both! My easiest white tail, the farmer told me to get my truck he would come down with his tractor. Hung it from the front end loader, gutted, then lowered it into a creek to rinse and chill, drive back up the hill to my truck and set it in. I've not shot a prettier deer.

So I was just sitting here looking at some photos of this years hunts and they got me thinking. I used to shoot deer and antelope and drag them for miles back to the truck or back to camp,View attachment 440099View attachment 440104View attachment 440106 but this year was different. Take a look at these photos and tell me what you think. Am I getting smarter or just getting older?
Now for the next trick put a winch on the back of the roll cage and you won’t hurt your back growing it in the Polaris.

Now for the next trick put a winch on the back of the roll cage and you won’t hurt your back growing it in the Polaris.
That's what they did with my buf on my last safari. Came out with a big JD tractor with a bucket, rolled him in and drove back to the lodge. All I had to do was the heavy looking on.

That's what they did with my buf on my last safari. Came out with a big JD tractor with a bucket, rolled him in and drove back to the lodge. All I had to do was the heavy looking on.
What? You mean they didn't do it like this?
249.JPG

One of the best tricks I've learned so far is to always take a young healthy fella with a strong back hunting with me.

We are definitely getting older. Fortunately as our bodies get weaker (and our looks begin to fade, lol), our brains start to make up the difference! I don't have a pic of it, but two years ago my father shot a young bull moose when he was 77 and I was 50. We didn't feel strong enough to manhandle him into the back of the truck so I looked around until I spotted a round hay bale on the edge of a slough. I dragged the moose over to it with a long tow strap, then positioned the bale between the back of my truck and the moose. I then got Dad to slowly drag the moose over the bale. The bale rolls ahead as the moose comes up on top of it. When the moose is balanced on the top, I put the tailgate down, Dad backed up to the bale and I easily rolled the moose off and into the truck. The old man thought I was a genius!
I've also done it this way.
012.JPG

And I purchased this for the past hunting season.
New Bumper Winch Pole.jpeg

We are definitely getting older. Fortunately as our bodies get weaker (and our looks begin to fade, lol), our brains start to make up the difference! I don't have a pic of it, but two years ago my father shot a young bull moose when he was 77 and I was 50. We didn't feel strong enough to manhandle him into the back of the truck so I looked around until I spotted a round hay bale on the edge of a slough. I dragged the moose over to it with a long tow strap, then positioned the bale between the back of my truck and the moose. I then got Dad to slowly drag the moose over the bale. The bale rolls ahead as the moose comes up on top of it. When the moose is balanced on the top, I put the tailgate down, Dad backed up to the bale and I easily rolled the moose off and into the truck. The old man thought I was a genius!
I've also done it this way.
View attachment 440463
And I purchased this for the past hunting season.
View attachment 440464
What brand of truck gutting rack is that? After field dressing my mulie on the ground this year, I’m considering one of those.

So I was just sitting here looking at some photos of this years hunts and they got me thinking. I used to shoot deer and antelope and drag them for miles back to the truck or back to camp,View attachment 440099View attachment 440104View attachment 440106 but this year was different. Take a look at these photos and tell me what you think. Am I getting smarter or just getting older?
We used to do some things just because we could. Now we do other things because we no longer can.
"Work smarter, not harder" as they say. I try.

What brand of truck gutting rack is that? After field dressing my mulie on the ground this year, I’m considering one of those.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand name. I bought it here in Canada at Princess Auto for just under $200.

@jduckhunter
The older we get the smarter we get. We tend to work from the neck up not the neck down. Another way to say it is brains trumps brawn.

@Newboomer
I hope your eyes didn't get sore watching all thar hard work.
Bob

@jduckhunter
The older we get the smarter we get. We tend to work from the neck up not the neck down. Another way to say it is brains trumps brawn.
Jeez I think I’d rather trade some of my older brains for some of my younger brawn again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.