Am I Crazy?!? Or Did I Catch the Mid-Bore Bug?

I said the 9.5mm was a great caliber. I'm not against metrics!
Yes you did, just forgot to mention the original. I would love to find a 9.5x56MS in a model 1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer., to pair with my 1905 9x56MS. Never been enamored of magnums of any caliber. Never saw the need. To each his own, good shooting and better hunting.

Yes you did, just forgot to mention the original. I would love to find a 9.5x56MS in a model 1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer., to pair with my 1905 9x56MS. Never been enamored of magnums of any caliber. Never saw the need. To each his own, good shooting and better hunting.
I have gotten into magnums the easy way twice: bought an Encore barrel. First it was .300WM and I was terrified of it so I shot sixty rounds in practice before I took it hunting. The result was lethal as I had so much practice. The next was the .375 H&H except this barrel had a receiver stuck to it. The result was much worse as it magnetically drew in two more .375's and a. 458!

I applaud your fine taste in firearms. Sadly I let a 6.5MS slip away from me not knowing what it was. Likely for the best in that case.

I own a Savage 110BA in 300 WM and really love the 3.850 mag box capacity and switch barrel option. For the price of an action wrench and bbl vice, assuming there is a place to mount it, and the ability to follow instructions, the savage can be several calibers. Just to be clear my assembly with a 28" heavy bbl is 19.3 lbs so is not what one would consider a hunting rig.
If you go with bbl swapping just select calibers with good ammo availability. I built a wildcat 375 and dreamed of bashing a Cape Buffalo with it but could also have a nightmare of arriving with lost or delayed ammo arrival.
As a caveat verify what diameter bbl thread you have before ordering barrels. My 110 BA has a 1-1/8 and most are 1-1/16.
In bbl vice mounting I saw one picture where a guy mounted his on the trailer hitch of his SUV. No worried on turning the bench over with that one. :)

I do like the idea of being able to switch barrels on my 110E, and 111.
I can even switch out the bolt head to use the action for “magnum” cartridges.
I do like the idea of using the.375 Ruger, & the .416 Ruger.
But I think the 338-06 or the 9.3x62 would fit better for me, for now.

Hawk

Yes you did, just forgot to mention the original. I would love to find a 9.5x56MS in a model 1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer.,..., good shooting and better hunting.

Grand Dad agreed

JFE Ceylon Hunt 0132 02 First Deer Front 001 (2).jpg

I do like the idea of being able to switch barrels on my 110E, and 111.
I can even switch out the bolt head to use the action for “magnum” cartridges.
I do like the idea of using the.375 Ruger, & the .416 Ruger.
But I think the 338-06 or the 9.3x62 would fit better for me, for now.

Hawk
I was looking at ordering two Shaw barrels for my 110 BA; a 30-06 and 223 Rem. I already bought the bolt heads and already use those cartridges in other rifles so only need the barrels. I know the mag etc are not ideal but figured on single feed for my purposes.
I like to play with stuff I would never carry on a hunt.
Having the option for calibers you have no need for now is still an option.
If you get serious about needing a 375 it might be best to have two rifles. That is a decision you would make then.

UPDATE:

I bought a Sauer 100 Black rifle in 9.3x62 Mauser!
She has a 22 inch barrel, 1 in 14 inch twist.
I’m just waiting for it to come in so I can get it and put a scope on it!

Hawk
IMG_1490.jpg

It’s a just a hair over 7 lbs.

Hawk
Hang on tight. It will definitely get your attention. Make sure if you scope it the scope has generous eye relief. My CZ 550 FS is just shy of 9lbs with scope, sling and full load which tames it pretty well.

Congratulations and welcome to the mediums club your gonna love the performance. For smaller statured creatures I heartily recommend Norma 232 grain bullets. For NA game the cheap PPU 286 grains will drop anything on 4 feet or 2 feet for that matter. For Africa I defer to the experts on this forum.

I like the shape of the stock but hate the color. Does that stock have bedding pillars inside?

Yes, it does have bedding pillars, and a special aluminum block on the front.

Hawk

Hang on tight. It will definitely get your attention. Make sure if you scope it the scope has generous eye relief. My CZ 550 FS is just shy of 9lbs with scope, sling and full load which tames it pretty well.

I am definitely getting a sling for it, and scoping it.
After all said and done, I’m hoping it will be just over 9lbs as well.
The stock was specifically designed, too, to reduce recoil. So that will help a lot!

Hawk

Congratulations and welcome to the mediums club your gonna love the performance. For smaller statured creatures I heartily recommend Norma 232 grain bullets. For NA game the cheap PPU 286 grains will drop anything on 4 feet or 2 feet for that matter. For Africa I defer to the experts on this forum.

Thank you!
I’ve used PPU in the past, and like the ammo a lot.
I like the Norma ammo, it’s just a tad pricey, but works really well game animals.
That’s what I like to hear, it’ll work on anything here in the states, and most of what’s in Africa.

Hawk

Should be accurate then.

Yes, the 9.3x62 is, as they say, an inherently accurate cartridge, along with the Sauer 100 being made to be superbly accurate. So, it should definitely be an accurate rig altogether.

Hawk

@hawkeyesatx
What's happened to the Whelen you were building.
Bob

The .35 Whelen is still around, but it is giving me fits, due to some bozo using red lok-tite on a fastening screw for the scope mount. Plus, I’m not able to switch out the scope bases, due to the same bozo using the red lok-tite to anchor the base screws, and the complete rear base screw head is stripped, so not even a hex key can loosen it up, or the other ones, for that matter, to properly mount a scope on her to use her.
So, that’s where everything stands with the Whelen.
I’m almost tempted to take the barrel off of that rifle, and switch it out on the remaining Savage 110E I have in .270 Winchester.

Hawk

You will enjoy your sauer. The recoil is fairly mild, and is my favorite mid bore in a bolt gun. With a scope and loaded it should be fine. If it bothers you, I will let you shoot a couple shots in my 500 jeffery and your 9.3 or 375 will feel link a 243 after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.