Am I Crazy?!? Or Did I Catch the Mid-Bore Bug?

Hawk,
I completely understand. If you want a 9.3, by all means get one. If you don’t, you WILL regret it. Just like I and many others here and elsewhere, you will always think about the 9.3 or any other cartridge that was intriguing to you and what could have been? Compromise is bittersweet. It may be the logical choice, but you’ll never get that “what if” out of your thoughts.
CEH
@CoElkHunter
I always wanted a 460 weatherby. After firing 3 shots out of one soon cured that what if I never got one problem.
That's why you should have a Whelen instead of wondering what if.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
I always wanted a 460 weatherby. After firing 3 shots out of one soon cured that what if I never got one problem.
Bob
Bob,
But, I've never wanted a .460 Weatherby or a Whelen, so? Ha! Ha! I did want a .338WM and eventually found one REASONABLY priced in my Browning A Bolt. I would like to shoot a Whelen eventually, but have no real desire to shoot a .460 and am not currently wondering "what If ". I would like to shoot a Browning .50 machine gun, but ....... actually, a guy out east from here named Dragon Man has or use to have one machine gun shoot a year and you could pay to shoot the big stuff, i.e. .30, .50, 20mm cannon, etc. I went once for the show, but didn't partake in shooting anything, but now I am wondering the what if? I'll have to call out there and see if he's still doing it. I know he sells the smaller FA stuff and you can rent those to shoot on his range.
Thanks Bob for reminding me about the "what if" conundrum.
CEH

Hawk,
I completely understand. If you want a 9.3, by all means get one. If you don’t, you WILL regret it. Just like I and many others here and elsewhere, you will always think about the 9.3 or any other cartridge that was intriguing to you and what could have been? Compromise is bittersweet. It may be the logical choice, but you’ll never get that “what if” out of your thoughts.
CEH
Thank you for understanding!
Yes, the 9.3x62 has intrigued me for just a little while. But not as much as the 35 Whelen.
I know, now, with the newer powders, both of the old gals can have some pep added to their step, if you know what I mean. I'm glad they can.
I used to have a .375 H&H a long time ago, and I loved it. I can't imagine me not liking the 9.3x62. it doesn't kick as much, not that the 375 was all that bad, to me.
I imagine the 35 Whelen and the 9.3x62 aren't in the patty cake area of kick, but I'm thinking they're not as bad as my 300 Win Mag either.
With lower powder levels, and being extremely efficient when burning those powder columns, and having much heavier bullets, I would think the recoil would feel more like a shove, than a rapid mule kick to the shoulder and face.
But, I do digress.
I believe I will send off the "new" Savage 110E to JES, and have him rebore it to 9.3x62, since it will fit inside the Savage long action quite nicely.
Then, when I go elk, or moose hunting in well established Grizz territory, I won't have to worry about the darned critters a comin' and gnawing on my shin bone, instead of ending the confrontation immediately, or close to immediately.

Hawk

You can not crazy, When i started shooting 1911's i couldn't stop myself...now i have 5 new 1911 handguns.
Buy a Glock and you'll have 5 of those before the New Year! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Since you already have the whelen the 9.3 62 would be dreadfully redundant. I say have it rebored to 9.3x64 brenneke. That will be a good step up in power.
And you would make the late Bruce Moulds proud!

Since you already have the whelen the 9.3 62 would be dreadfully redundant. I say have it rebored to 9.3x64 brenneke. That will be a good step up in power.

Doesn’t the 9.3x64 Brenneke have a different head size than the average .473?
That’s very tempting though!

Hawk

@CoElkHunter
Bob
Yep, buy a Whelen. Bob, said so you shouldn't get in trouble. He's solving the world's problems one at a time.
Yet the answer is so simple.

I already have a barrel kit in 35 Whelen that I’m going to switch my Savage 111 270 barrel out with.
I thought it might be cool to have 2 heavy hitters, both Savage 110/111 long action rifles.
Both 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 are legal here, of course. But I want a 9.3x62, just in case I would make it to Africa, where it is legal to use.
And the 35 Whelen is only legal for PG.
The 9.3 shouldn’t have any feeding issues, since it was originally chambered in the Mauser 98’s, and they used to be the 8x57 variety, mostly.
But, I could be wrong.

Hawk
Then barrel it .35 and call it a day. The 9.3 is like the .243 of DG cartridges: sometimes not enough. The .375 has better projectiles and requires no apologies. Or you could go .458 and stay in projectile wonderland. If a .243 is a tomato stake, the 9.3 is the tiller of the garden.
Bob,
But, I've never wanted a .460 Weatherby or a Whelen, so? Ha! Ha! I did want a .338WM and eventually found one REASONABLY priced in my Browning A Bolt. I would like to shoot a Whelen eventually, but have no real desire to shoot a .460 and am not currently wondering "what If ". I would like to shoot a Browning .50 machine gun, but ....... actually, a guy out east from here named Dragon Man has or use to have one machine gun shoot a year and you could pay to shoot the big stuff, i.e. .30, .50, 20mm cannon, etc. I went once for the show, but didn't partake in shooting anything, but now I am wondering the what if? I'll have to call out there and see if he's still doing it. I know he sells the smaller FA stuff and you can rent those to shoot on his range.
Thanks Bob for reminding me about the "what if" conundrum.
CEH
Just buy a binary trigger for your AR and call it a day. You won't have to report it to anyone while traveling and it's less paperwork. Get a brass catcher while you're at it.

I skipped a great deal on an A bolt .375. Something was just off. I couldn't place it, but no thanks.

Then barrel it .35 and call it a day. The 9.3 is like the .243 of DG cartridges: sometimes not enough. The .375 has better projectiles and requires no apologies. Or you could go .458 and stay in projectile wonderland. If a .243 is a tomato stake, the 9.3 is the tiller of the garden.

Just buy a binary trigger for your AR and call it a day. You won't have to report it to anyone while traveling and it's less paperwork. Get a brass catcher while you're at it.

I skipped a great deal on an A bolt .375. Something was just off. I couldn't place it, but no thanks.
@Forrest Halley
Young Forrest you should be taken out and bitch slapped for comparing the grand old 9.3 to the 243.
As Gomer Pyle would say shame, shame, shame.
Bob

Because it works...?? I mean he could go with a Sig and not have a plastic gun, but then again...if it irritates Bob...do it twice for good measure! Haha!
@Forrest Halley
But it ain't a 45 and even you know bigger is better.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
But it ain't a 45 and even you know bigger is better.
Bob
Bob,
My Glock 21 .45 holds 14 rounds with a 13 round magazine. My Glock 40 (6" barrel) 10mm holds 16 rounds with a 15 round magazine. The more rounds, the more fun!
Hopefully, Glock will someday build a hunting rifle. My specs would be a 22-24" fluted, polygonal rifled barrel with quick change ability, fluted push feed style bolt with a Sako extractor, and a polycarbonate stock with adjustable lop. At about 6 lbs., and chambered in .243, 6mm Rem., 6mm and 6.5 Creedmoor and more 6.5s, 6.8 this or that, .308, .300 something and .338WM.
It would be your "dream rifle" Bob! Ha! Ha! Ha!
COLORADO ELK (WAPITI) HUNTER
Oh, and at about $600US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg