Am I being silly?

I actually sent them a PM earlier today regarding....no response yet.....a pity Jerome has left to Rigby..he would have been all over this...
Had no reply yet, gave them a mouthful of my previous experience with Jerome which was very professional.

I had been measured for a VC double rifle looking to get a multi barrel set DR from them, I have now cancelled that and am in communication with our local Hyem agent for same from them, 500NE, 375 Flanged mag(or 500/416NE) and 12ga (or 20ga) depending on frame size. Been a pleasant experience with Hyem so far. They will also custom fit the stock. 89B comes with all the features expected from a DG DR...we will see

Still no word back from VC? Will most deffinatly be scratching them off the list. I can understand the long wait to get the problem fixed but just to get solid communication flowing on the matter is shocking.

Still no word back from VC? Will most deffinatly be scratching them off the list. I can understand the long wait to get the problem fixed but just to get solid communication flowing on the matter is shocking.
Yes, they replied last week, sorry I didnt post that. The first round was very defensive and scratchy, but now we are talking nicely and I think we have a technical solution. The deal is they are sending me some parts and my gunsmith will fit them. I am certain it will be a fix, but I dont want to say it is until it is done. If this is a fix it will be a life saver for any other unfortunate soul who has head space problems with a double.
Overall, I would say VC probably learnt a bit About client relationships and I am willing to wipe the slate clean. I will also say that Safari and Outdoor stepped up to the plate and assisted, for which I am grateful. lesson for us all is that dialogue and a calm friendly approach gets the job done every time.

Yes, they replied last week, sorry I didnt post that. The first round was very defensive and scratchy, but now we are talking nicely and I think we have a technical solution. The deal is they are sending me some parts and my gunsmith will fit them. I am certain it will be a fix, but I dont want to say it is until it is done. If this is a fix it will be a life saver for any other unfortunate soul who has head space problems with a double.
Overall, I would say VC probably learnt a bit About client relationships and I am willing to wipe the slate clean. I will also say that Safari and Outdoor stepped up to the plate and assisted, for which I am grateful. lesson for us all is that dialogue and a calm friendly approach gets the job done every time.
You are a better man than me I would have had a sh... fit after the first non satisfactory reply....

As a matter of interest what are the parts they are sending to fix the issue?

You know Kevin, I did this once too. Not with gun but with car. Mercedes S 600; not new but almost new (35,000 miles); V 12, accelerated like an electric motor up to 140. Suddenly started putting out black smoke, running at 8000 rpm. Mercedes vanished. $5000 later, I just said, if it's running, take it to the Lexus dealership. Never looked back. Sunk cost.

No specific advice (i've been there and was able to salvage other nightmares back to dreams-7x57 AI comes to mind last time!) but P.O. Ackley wrote books on such quirks and had some sage advice on how to correct (some through alternative handloading and others through some relatively minor gunsmithing/machining.) Research, try and fix it and (before you sell on another forum with english as a 2nd language,) Good Luck! There are so many variables you can control in reloading!!!!!!!!!! Excess pressure is typically the culprit, which can be controlled by reduced loads, for starters. (are they splitting at the neck or the head??)

A good double-gun smith should be able to properly consult you on this. Diamond here in NY used to work at the Ithaca factory and can fix anything of the sort (including a c. 1903 that my son has). I've got to think you have some old timers from "Salisbury" that are same or better...

I am waiting for the bits to arrive guys, when they do it will be a quick fix. Then I will write it up here with a few drawings and hopefully this lovely little gun can shoot out it's life toll the barrels are worn out.

Sorry to resurrect this thread , but was the Over & Under .375 Holland & Holland Flanged Magnum ever actually repaired , @Kevin Peacocke ? Verney Carron double rifles look so elegant outwardly . It’s a real shame that you had to experience so many problems because of a NEW rifle .

Has anybody else here experienced other problems with VC double rifles ?

Hi HH, well sort of. Verney sent some spare extractors and the idea was to get the cartridge to head space off the new tighter spec extractor. I couldn't find anyone willing to do that accurate work, so instead i worked on the lockup, took off table high spots and got it to close and lockup far more positively. The breach face and actiom now close with a parallel gap and only 2mm separation. It now fires without bursting open any more but there is still a little cartridge stretch on the top barrel, so to be safe a 'new cartridge gun only' with no reloads. My VC is extremely accurate, well regulated, light and nimble and pretty as you say. But I am over it.
I have move on, ordered a Heym and not looking back.

Sorry to resurrect this thread , but was the Over & Under .375 Holland & Holland Flanged Magnum ever actually repaired , @Kevin Peacocke ? Verney Carron double rifles look so elegant outwardly . It’s a real shame that you had to experience so many problems because of a NEW rifle .

Has anybody else here experienced other problems with VC double rifles ?

Yes. My custom ordered VC left the factory with chamber reamer chatter marks. Actually more like gouges. Upon speaking to VC directly it was agreed it should have never left the factory in this condition, however they offered no remedy for this.

They are very nice, well balanced and regulated doubles but I will not buy another.

That is a crying shame and flat out criminal to pay so much money for something special, and get a mediocre product at best. Not good for their reputation or business. :mad:

I'm sorry you have had to deal with this. I have been looking hard at doubles. Not a need rather a want. I had been contemplating a VC. That is no longer the case, that are off the list.

Thank you for posting this, I know it sucks for you personally but you are saving a good number of us on this board from making the same mistake. In the end I hope that helps bring a little satisfaction, knowing other will not have to deal with the BS.
Yes. My custom ordered VC left the factory with chamber reamer chatter marks. Actually more like gouges. Upon speaking to VC directly it was agreed it should have never left the factory in this condition, however they offered no remedy for this.

They are very nice, well balanced and regulated doubles but I will not buy another.
My guess is they rolled a chip or two while cutting the chamber. With out seeing what it looks like it's only a guess. Your story matches the service Kevin received... so this is a reinforcement they are 100% off the list.

If possible I’d send it back to VC and make them fix it.

I'm sorry you have had to deal with this. I have been looking hard at doubles. Not a need rather a want. I had been contemplating a VC. That is no longer the case, that are off the list.

Thank you for posting this, I know it sucks for you personally but you are saving a good number of us on this board from making the same mistake. In the end I hope that helps bring a little satisfaction, knowing other will not have to deal with the BS.

My guess is they rolled a chip or two while cutting the chamber. With out seeing what it looks like it's only a guess. Your story matches the service Kevin received... so this is a reinforcement they are 100% off the list.

Image1632014675.970601.jpg

This is what one chamber looks like. The other is the same. This is not affecting the firearm function in any way, it does leave slight markings on cases tho.
However this does affect the re-sale value considerably.

If possible I’d send it back to VC and make them fix it.

Even tho VC agreed the rifle should have not left the factory in this condition, they refused to remedy this as the function of the rifle is not affected.
These chatter marks are more a cosmetic concern, but does considerably affect the future resale value.

View attachment 425141

This is what one chamber looks like. The other is the same. This is not affecting the firearm function in any way, it does leave slight markings on cases tho.
However this does affect the re-sale value considerably.
That's caused by a rolled chip A. or a new reamer that has not been broke in B. Either way any smith I have ever worked with would take care of that. Honestly that should not have left the shop. They would have seen that on the brass even if they were to miss looking in the chamber.

I'm sure it shoots fine, I'm sorry you too have to deal with this.

Even tho VC agreed the rifle should have not left the factory in this condition, they refused to remedy this as the function of the rifle is not affected.
These chatter marks are more a cosmetic concern, but does considerably affect the future resale value.
What a load of crap. That knocks VC of my list of what I want for my next double. Heym it is I guess.

What a load of crap. That knocks VC of my list of what I want for my next double. Heym it is I guess.

That will be my next double also.

It not the fact that something is wrong with either my or Kevin’s rifles, they are mechanical items and things can go wrong. It’s how the manufacture handles the concern that is the true test. And VC handled it poorly in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg