Am I being scammed? Import into Toronto

Anon

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
So, I hired a taxidermist to deal with the import of my trophies from Africa into Canada—Pearson in Toronto.

Today, I was hit with a $1,800 bill for storage fees. I’ll still have brokerage and other fees, I assume.

I asked for a detailed invoice and I was provided an invoice from Swissport, which the taxidermist paid and I’ve now reimbursed them for.

The swissport invoice says the arrival date was May 25. It has a $1,600 charge for “general cargo” storage from May 28-June 16. There’s $200 for terminal fees and a can fee.

The taxidermist’s office is saying the charges are unusually high but that’s because it didn’t clear customs until June 14. The taxidermists says they spoke with customs who said the CITES document for a mountain zebra was misplaced by CBSA (Canada customs).

Why would the taxidermist contact CBSA, and not the brokerage they hired (Cole International).

My concern is that the additional cargo storage fees are due to a mistake by the brokerage which I’m paying for.

However, not understanding the process I don’t want to push the issue too hard as I understand if it’s something out of the taxidermist’s control.

For instance, wouldn’t CBSA contact the brokerage immediately and say it’s missing the CITIES document? If the process was delayed bud CBSA wouldn’t they put someone on notice?

Thoughts?

I can't shed any light on your specific case, but the same thing is happening regularly here in the US. We always had dip and pack, shipping, importation, transfer to your tanner/taxidemy and tanning fees. But now "Storage" is a new big one......and curiously, Customs here "lost" my Hartmann's paperwork also. A lot of wood hippie flake employees in the food chain and in the USFWS that conveniently "Lose" things? When you come up with enough money, they always "find" it. I'm suspicious. Keep us informed on what you learn........FWB

I did the same thing in 2018, Windhoek to Toronto, did it all myself. I too incurred additional storage fees because of CBSA issues. My trophies arrived on a Tuesday, I was aware of this, but did not get to the airport until Thursday (I'm only an hour away from Pearson, in Waterloo). Got there on the Thursday only to hear that the Veterinarian who inspects the cargo was not yet informed, so it would be another day's delay. Went back the next day, sorted it out, paid for the additional unnecessary storage fees (around $400 I think) and brought my shipment home.
Fast forward to March of this year, second trip, and I decided to let a broker handle it all for me. I used Rigel Logistics out of Saskatchewan. They brought my shipment into Edmonton, as the import fees were less than Toronto (go figure), then shipped overland to me. I was very pleased with their services, and they did everything that they said they would, but it still cost too much in my opinion. International shipping has skyrocketed in recent years, and all of the fees add up very quickly.
Bottom line - I will no longer ship any trophies home. I work hard enough to be able to afford the trip in the first place, and do not want to have to budget another third for trophies.

From what a lot of people are posting I've seen a lot higher...believe one guy was charged $200 a day for storage. I'd definetly look into the broker making a mistake but getting them to own up to it or even pay for it if they admit it is a long shot.

I can't shed any light on your specific case, but the same thing is happening regularly here in the US. We always had dip and pack, shipping, importation, transfer to your tanner/taxidemy and tanning fees. But now "Storage" is a new big one......and curiously, Customs here "lost" my Hartmann's paperwork also. A lot of wood hippie flake employees in the food chain and in the USFWS that conveniently "Lose" things? When you come up with enough money, they always "find" it. I'm suspicious. Keep us informed on what you learn........FWB
I didn’t even factor in storage fees as I assumed because I hired someone to take care of everything and pick it up, it’d be a non-issue. The taxidermists also didn’t specify this was something that could happen.

I did the same thing in 2018, Windhoek to Toronto, did it all myself. I too incurred additional storage fees because of CBSA issues. My trophies arrived on a Tuesday, I was aware of this, but did not get to the airport until Thursday (I'm only an hour away from Pearson, in Waterloo). Got there on the Thursday only to hear that the Veterinarian who inspects the cargo was not yet informed, so it would be another day's delay. Went back the next day, sorted it out, paid for the additional unnecessary storage fees (around $400 I think) and brought my shipment home.
Fast forward to March of this year, second trip, and I decided to let a broker handle it all for me. I used Rigel Logistics out of Saskatchewan. They brought my shipment into Edmonton, as the import fees were less than Toronto (go figure), then shipped overland to me. I was very pleased with their services, and they did everything that they said they would, but it still cost too much in my opinion. International shipping has skyrocketed in recent years, and all of the fees add up very quickly.
Bottom line - I will no longer ship any trophies home. I work hard enough to be able to afford the trip in the first place, and do not want to have to budget another third for trophies.
The shipping cost from Windhoek wasn’t that bad. It was around 1,300 CAD. I thought I was $1K left until my trophies were home.

This was my first trip to Africa. I have another one booked for 2024 hunting sable in SA. After that I’ll likely be finished as I can’t afford all the incidental expenses. They have been more than I anticipated. At the end of the day, I’m probably close to $3-4K CAD per animal that’ll be hanging on my wall. And those are euro mounts and tanned skins. I don’t think I’d be into hunting overseas without bringing the trophies home.

COLE INTERNATIONAL IS THE PROBLEM. I had EXACTLY the same issues with them last time I shipped trophies. My stuff wound up in storage and I was hounding Cole every day asking what's going on. In the end she tried to blame the AIRLINE for not contacting Canada Customs that shipment was ready for inspection. "What? That's not their job! What do you think a customs broker is supposed to do?" Find out when Customs was notified. If they give you the runaround, contact your MP's office. If Cole screwed around again and just left the stuff sitting, take their sorry arse to small claims court. Paperwork is easy and judgement is swift. But you will need to prove when the shipment went into the lineup for inspection.

As I have written in other threads, I was advised by another reputable Toronto customs broker to drive two days and bring the shipment through customs myself. That way it goes into the "personal effects" lineup rather than the broker's "commercial goods" backlog. Also, expect delays when dealing with certain species. Hogs, porcupines, and mongoose for example. I imagine mountain zebra threw your shipment into the need-to-be-scrutinized line. That may very well have contributed to the delay.

Stear clear of Manitoulin freight if your trophies will be shipped domestically. A whole separate nightmare!

I’m hoping someone can chime in that understands the process and can advise me if this situation is plausible. But like you said, it’s unlikely they’ll own up to anything or reduce the bill in any event. It will help others in the future as I can then outline the experience and caution future hunters.
From what a lot of people are posting I've seen a lot higher...believe one guy was charged $200 a day for storage. I'd definetly look into the broker making a mistake but getting them to own up to it or even pay for it if they admit it is a long shot.

COLE INTERNATIONAL IS THE PROBLEM. I had EXACTLY the same issues with them last time I shipped trophies. My stuff wound up in storage and I was hounding Cole every day asking what's going on. In the end she tried to blame the AIRLINE for not contacting Canada Customs that shipment was ready for inspection. "What? That's not their job! What do you think a customs broker is supposed to do?" Find out when Customs was notified. If they give you the runaround, contact your MP's office. If Cole screwed around again and just left the stuff sitting, take their sorry arse to small claims court. Paperwork is easy and judgement is swift. But you will need to prove when the shipment went into the lineup for inspection.

As I have written in other threads, I was advised by another reputable Toronto customs broker to drive two days and bring the shipment through customs myself. That way it goes into the "personal effects" lineup rather than the broker's "commercial goods" backlog. Also, expect delays when dealing with certain species. Hogs, porcupines, and mongoose for example. I imagine mountain zebra threw your shipment into the need-to-be-scrutinized line. That may very well have contributed to the delay.

Stear clear of Manitoulin freight if your trophies will be shipped domestically. A whole separate nightmare!
For clarity, it’s the brokers job to notify customs that the shipment is ready for inspection? Is there a specific form that’s submitted (and I can ask for)?

I have this feeling they weren’t alerted in a timely manner or provided messed up documents.

Yes sir I paid 200.00 a day waiting to clear customs. I was expecting it though. Trophy Shippers gave me warning. Worst thing that can happen is your trophies make it in Friday afternoon and sit until Monday over the weekend. 4 days 200 per day.

For clarity, it’s the brokers job to notify customs that the shipment is ready for inspection? Is there a specific form that’s submitted (and I can ask for)?

I have this feeling they weren’t alerted in a timely manner or provided messed up documents.
Contact Canada Customs and ask them to provide documentation confirming shipment received. The stuff is yours and only consigned to Cole so you have a right to that information. Customs may tell you otherwise. Tell them they can discuss it with your MP. That will usually light a fire under them.

How long was it in storage? Turkish Airlines gives a five day grace period before charging and I still got hammered $500. When I mentioned my problems with Cole to the other broker in Missisauga, he paused for a second then said, "Well, that doesn't surprise me." As to Manitoulin, "Oh, definitely stay away from them!" Interesting that the guy actually discouraged me from doing business with his company as it would be much more cost effective to do it myself. Great guy. And no Punjabi accent to work around. You know what I mean. ;)

Contact Canada Customs and ask them to provide documentation confirming shipment received. The stuff is yours and only consigned to Cole so you have a right to that information. Customs may tell you otherwise. Tell them they can discuss it with your MP. That will usually light a fire under them.

How long was it in storage? Turkish Airlines gives a five day grace period before charging and I still got hammered $500. When I mentioned my problems with Cole to the other broker in Missisauga, he paused for a second then said, "Well, that doesn't surprise me." As to Manitoulin, "Oh, definitely stay away from them!" Interesting that the guy actually discouraged me from doing business with his company as it would be much more cost effective to do it myself. Great guy. And no Punjabi accent to work around. You know what I mean. ;)
I’ve contacted CBSA through the online portal. However, I feel it’ll be a long time before they’re able to respond. And I suspect they’ll have difficulty locating the paperwork. I don’t even know what the identifiers are.

In any event, I’ll see what happens.

Your taxidermist and/or the customs broker should have provided you with flight documentation. That will give you something for CBSA to work with. Cole conveniently could not find CBSA documentation when I requested it. CBSA was not happy about coughing it up either. You will be dealing with jerks, I can almost guarantee it. Wear a thick skin and be polite as possible as long as possible. But be firm. Anytime you have a phone conversation, request an email address and immediately follow up with a letter confirming the conversation. When you ask for an email address you will likely encounter resistance. Ask for a supervisor. There is no way your stuff should have been held that long.

Pearson Airport is not a customer friendly atmosphere. Look around and you will know why. It is hands down the worst airport in the world for poor service. Don't-give-a-shit is an epidemic in that place.

Last edited:
I will say the CBSA folks I've dealt with personally at Pearson have always been great. Seems I'm always getting young guys very interested in my rifle and how the hunt went, etc. Last time it was somebody's birthday and I got a piece of cake!

As an update, I spoke over the phone with the taxidermy shop again.

Previously they said they “think” something happened with the CITES certificate. That story has now crystallized and shifted to CBSA told them they misplaced the original certificate but ultimately released the trophies with a photocopy of the original. This conversation apparently happened between my taxidermist and CBSA while everything was still in storage.

When I asked why the taxidermist was communicating with CBSA and not the broker, they told me it was because they were going above and beyond.

I directly expressed that I felt uneasy about the explanation and suggested I thought it possible the brokerage delayed putting CBSA on notice and/or initially provided CBSA with incomplete documentation that caused the delay.

I asked for copies of the dated documents originally sent to CBSA from the broker. I said I wanted those to satisfy myself there was no error on the part of the broker.

I was very polite about it.

Initially, they said I’d have to pay extra for those documents and they’d be difficult to locate. Then when I said I felt entitled to them, as it’s paperwork I’ve indirectly paid the brokerage to complete, they agreed to provide it.

However, after the call I sent a summary email and they responded that they’d only be able to provide “the date the entry was submitted to customs (not when our broker requested an inspection- our broker does not request inspection).”

They’re flabbergasted that I don’t find their explanation sufficient. But it seems illogical that CBSA would admit to losing the certificate and then just give it a pass without the original. It’s also unclear why they wouldn’t have immediately alerted me to these issues if they knew about them as they were occurring. Further, when they initially told me the trophies were cleared and would be picked up, they said there was some sort of storage fee and they were unsure the cause of it.

I think my request for the brokerage’s paperwork for verification is reasonable.

For clarity, all my communication has been with the same person at the taxidermy shop. This person has had carriage of the matter the whole time. So there shouldn’t be a communication issue within the taxidermy shop. Also, I haven’t spoken directly with the broker, which is what I hired the taxidermist to deal with.

I have always done my own clearance unless it is a really complicated scenario.
Basic process:
I have the Air Bill, flight number and track the plane until it lands.
Upon arrival, I know the warehouse that will receive it, etc. I call CFIA during office hours to ensure they are aware that my crate needs inspection.
Once they attend and clear it. I call the warehouse confirm they cleared it, then I arrive and grab the paperwork and run up to Customs after hours at the airport and give them any money due. Some guys know what's required regarding inspection and permits, others not. I just help them out as much as possible. Pay any fees, get my stamps on all the copies and then proceed to the warehouse. Pay them their fees for touching the crate once.
Let them load it and leave with my stuff. (All finished work) Otherwise, taxidermist on the approved list has to grab your D&P stuff.

This avoids storage BS. If you have the time, it can obviously be worthwhile.

I hope you get some answers.

The broker was faxed all the paperwork, including CITES and flight itinerary BEFORE the stuff left Africa. Your shipper over there made sure of that. Cole is jerking you around. For my second shipment I told Cole to send ME the documents before the stuff was shipped ... and they did. So I knew when the stuff landed. I also knew the shipper over there screwed me.

Tell them to send you those documents or you'll be serving them. This is BS. Same sob story they tried to pull on me about the airline is suppose to ensure the crate goes to customs. What the hell does a broker do? Just cash your cheque? And they never provided you with ANY documentation? Or the taxidermist? I must say, it's too bad you put the taxidermist in the loop. Not necessary. Did he pick the stuff up at Pearson? Offhand I would say you have a claim for storage fees, brokerage fees, and costs. Don't need a lawyer. Ontario small claims court is easy to do yourself. Fill in the blanks on forms. Cole will probably settle. If it's the taxidermists fault (might be) then he should make it good.

Sure wish I could have connected with you while the stuff was still in Africa. Who was the taxidermist in Africa? I bet I know.

The broker was faxed all the paperwork, including CITES and flight itinerary BEFORE the stuff left Africa. Your shipper over there made sure of that. Cole is jerking you around. For my second shipment I told Cole to send ME the documents before the stuff was shipped ... and they did. So I knew when the stuff landed. I also knew the shipper over there screwed me.

Tell them to send you those documents or you'll be serving them. This is BS. Same sob story they tried to pull on me about the airline is suppose to ensure the crate goes to customs. What the hell does a broker do? Just cash your cheque? And they never provided you with ANY documentation? Or the taxidermist? I must say, it's too bad you put the taxidermist in the loop. Not necessary. Did he pick the stuff up at Pearson? Offhand I would say you have a claim for storage fees, brokerage fees, and costs. Don't need a lawyer. Ontario small claims court is easy to do yourself. Fill in the blanks on forms. Cole will probably settle. If it's the taxidermists fault (might be) then he should make it good.

Sure wish I could have connected with you while the stuff was still in Africa. Who was the taxidermist in Africa? I bet I know.
They’re not saying that the broker didn’t have the CITES certificate. In fact, I was included in all communications between taxidermist and exporter in Africa. So, I have copies of the that and the other docs.

What the taxidermist (who’s in communication with Cole) is saying is that the CITES was provided to CBSA by Cole and then lost it. However, at some point CBSA decided to clear it without the original.

The taxidermist I’m using to import everything is Advanced Taxidermy in Caledon. They were hired to confirm the docs while everything was in Africa, which they did. Then to deal with a brokerage and pickup at the airport. One of the main reasons I used them was do avoid potential storage fees if I wasn’t able to pick up in Pearson with short notice as I live about 4 hour drive away.

The taxidermist in Africa was Nyati in Windhoek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WallyI1401

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.