Alec Baldwin Movie Set Accident

DOUG: When I hand a gun to my 30 yr old Son - I open it first, right in front of him and check to be sure it’s UNloaded…. He will then also immediately check the chamber and still we keep muzzle pointed in safe direction - that’s an ingrained habit for both of us…but I believe only Firearm owners and users are that careful. I’m Not sure if Alec is responsible “legally” but I know I wouldn’t trust anyone to hand me a gun and “trust” it’s unloaded — Not even my Son, it only takes a second to double check for yourself.
I learned a good lesson on gun handling recently, after meeting up for the holidays with my cousin. He is retired Secret Service. He and I used to shoot a lot together in high school and early college. Pistols, revolvers, rifles shotguns on my farm.

Fast forward 35 years, he was showing me his latest 1911 carry gun, at a Christmas party. Hell, I didn't even see he was carrying, he had a good holster.

He drew the pistol, dropped the mag, cycled the slide to eject the chambered round, then put his pinkie finger in the breach of the barrel, to be damn sure there was not a round in the chamber.
Then he handed me the pistol. Good protocol. I have not forgotten that "extra, last check."

Perhaps, Hollywood types can learn proper safe gun handling ( am I dreaming?)
Then shoot and kill a live creature of God, see, the results, blood and all, and then realize:

"You are handling deadly force". It is your complete responsibility if anything happens, good or bad.

Act accordingly.

We can only hope that idiots are in the minority, but I am not sure now.

I hope Alec Baldwin gets the maximum sentence according to the law.

Baldwin can afford better representation. I predict he will get off with much less. His argument that he didn’t actually pull the trigger, it fired itself should get him prison time on its own lack of merit.
What? You mean that none of your guns ever jumped out of the cabinet and started shooting at people without supervision? I'm shocked! The Hollywood liberal Democrats keep telling us that violence is the fault of the guns. People just happen to be victimized by them. You know the Liberals are smarter than everyone else and wouldn't lie. Right?

I learned a good lesson on gun handling recently, after meeting up for the holidays with my cousin. He is retired Secret Service. He and I used to shoot a lot together in high school and early college. Pistols, revolvers, rifles shotguns on my farm.

Fast forward 35 years, he was showing me his latest 1911 carry gun, at a Christmas party. Hell, I didn't even see he was carrying, he had a good holster.

He drew the pistol, dropped the mag, cycled the slide to eject the chambered round, then put his pinkie finger in the breach of the barrel, to be damn sure there was not a round in the chamber.
Then he handed me the pistol. Good protocol. I have not forgotten that "extra, last check."

Perhaps, Hollywood types can learn proper safe gun handling ( am I dreaming?)
Then shoot and kill a live creature of God, see, the results, blood and all, and then realize:

"You are handling deadly force". It is your complete responsibility if anything happens, good or bad.

Act accordingly.

We can only hope that idiots are in the minority, but I am not sure now.

I hope Alec Baldwin gets the maximum sentence according to the law.
I would guess that even though you had just seen him do that, you looked to be sure that it was safe before you did anything else with it. You might even have thought about it at the time. That's just what people who know about guns do.

For civilians, two slide pulls and visual check of chamber, is sufficient.
By "civilians" I dont mean CCW holders, but those who shoot recreationally or competitively in daylight hours on the range.
Explanation:
In case user forgets to remove the mag first, on empty chamber and full mag, first pull of slide will have still a chamber empty, second pull of slide will extract the first round, bringing attention to user that something is wrong.
Visual check, must be done, in case extractor is broken.
Finger off the trigger at all times, of course

However, this is not absolute safety for professionals (and CCW holders):

I had the same lesson as you described, by finger check from our local SWAT instructor, a member of my shooting club.
In their line of work they need to verify empty chamber, in any type of light conditions, day, or night, thus visual check is not always reliable, during the night hours.
So, this is the best way to check. By pinky finger.
He also recommends two pulls of slide.

What? You mean that none of your guns ever jumped out of the cabinet and started shooting at people without supervision? I'm shocked! The Hollywood liberal Democrats keep telling us that violence is the fault of the guns. People just happen to be victimized by them. You know the Liberals are smarter than everyone else and wouldn't lie. Right?
@Doug Hamilton
I've had the neighbours sako and tikka try and have a go at me once. I told the neighbour if they did I would kill both of them. That was his dog's name
He reckoned he was a gun. I had to agree because he was always shooting his mouth off with some sort of bullshit.
Bob

Live rounds stored in the same box as the blanks (or dummies). Hard to even get my head around that.

Live rounds on a movie set at all… that’s what hard for me to get my head around…

Baldwin will never be found guilty of anything with manslughter or murder in the title. He may be found guilty of criminal negligence or being an unsupervised democrat but that's all. He'll get a fine and/or a suspended 6 month sentence.

Baldwin will never be found guilty of anything with manslughter or murder in the title. He may be found guilty of criminal negligence or being an unsupervised democrat but that's all. He'll get a fine and/or a suspended 6 month sentence.
The benefits of being a Lib. Quite tempting.

You may be right, but I hope you're.not. The fact that they convicted and sentenced the armorer will.make it difficult to allow him to walk. He was.the person in charge, and he pulled the trigger.

You may be right, but I hope you're.not. The fact that they convicted and sentenced the armorer will.make it difficult to allow him to walk. He was.the person in charge, and he pulled the trigger.
Ah I see where you went wrong there. You tried to use logic, facts, the law and reason when it comes to celebrities.
I hope I'm proved to be wrong and he gets what he deserves, but history is not on our side.

Ah I see where you went wrong there. You tried to use logic, facts, the law and reason when it comes to celebrities.
I hope I'm proved to be wrong and he gets what he deserves, but history is not on our side.
I sill hope you're wrong, but you are most likely right. Damn.

For civilians, two slide pulls and visual check of chamber, is sufficient.
By "civilians" I dont mean CCW holders, but those who shoot recreationally or competitively in daylight hours on the range.
Explanation:
In case user forgets to remove the mag first, on empty chamber and full mag, first pull of slide will have still a chamber empty, second pull of slide will extract the first round, bringing attention to user that something is wrong.
Visual check, must be done, in case extractor is broken.
Finger off the trigger at all times, of course

However, this is not absolute safety for professionals (and CCW holders):

I had the same lesson as you described, by finger check from our local SWAT instructor, a member of my shooting club.
In their line of work they need to verify empty chamber, in any type of light conditions, day, or night, thus visual check is not always reliable, during the night hours.
So, this is the best way to check. By pinky finger.
He also recommends two pulls of slide.
Good explanation regarding safe weapons handling, thank you. I hadn’t considered “ in the dark” scenarios.

Secret Service, Presidential Detail had to train on several weapons, besides the common 1911, Beretta, Glock, Sig Sauer, Browning P-35, and others.

AK-47, SKS, Swedish K, S&W 76, H&K MP-5, Uzi, HK-93. Field Strip and reassemble in under 60 seconds.

Reload and hit the target with kill shots.
I wonder how many Hollywood actors could do that, without killing an innocent person.

It’s just a damn shame.

Hale Berry and Keanu Reeves can handle guns.
There is a You tube video how they trained 3 - gun shooting preparing for John Vick movie.

Sorry I can give up a lot of things but not my brain.
You have to admit it, Being a lib comes with some perks like doing something stupid and not face the consequences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zahadurahbrotherhood

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you