Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci/nra
Hunted
south africa / cameroon
i know this is africa huntin but everyone on here is so knowledgeable about hunting everywhere that i thought i would try this.

4-5 of us are wanting to book an Alaska combo hunt moose/grizz/caribou or such and want to see if anyone out there can suggest a particular hunt or outfitter? we want a lodge type hunt and don't care much for sleeping on the ground. as usual now that we can all afford to do this we aint young enough or in near good enough shape to go spike camp foot backing it all over the mountain. any thoughts comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am a local (Dillingham) so I don't need a guide and I'll confess: I don't keep up with who does what.

That said I'll throw out a local name: Mark Schwantes of Dillingham. I don't know if Mark guides for someone or if he recently struck out on his own. But I have seen FB photos: he has guided folks to some really large bears and moose, and I know this past fall he guided a gal to a caribou that was way over 400". I know nothing of his set-up, but he seems to do well guiding folks. He's in DLG year-round. He commercial fishes in the summer, and is an aluminum welder (fishing boats). Also, he has a stand-up reputation in the community.

Oh... and age is just a number. I see you're 48. I'm 55 and going on my first goat hunt this fall. I am in no way, shape, or form an example of svelteness. You will never see me running a marathon. But I will be ready for that goat hunt. It's never too late, and too old is still way out in front of me. To quote Galaxy Quest (a magnificent movie): Never give up; never surrender! ;-) Just my two cents.

I only know one guy, and he is in the North West Territories. His name is Werner Ansbacher. Google South Nahanni Outfitters.

sounds good thanks guys

With the expense that combo will be you could do a killer African hunt in much better weather, a lot more shooting, and fitness is a lot less of an issue. Also a group that size would be less of the issue it’s likely to be in Alaska. Sorry, but that’s the best recommendation I can make, LOL.

With the expense that combo will be you could do a killer African hunt in much better weather, a lot more shooting, and fitness is a lot less of an issue. Also a group that size would be less of the issue it’s likely to be in Alaska. Sorry, but that’s the best recommendation I can make, LOL.

The trouble is that it is hard to find a grizzly, moose, or a caribou in Africa.

Sometimes it isn't about shooting a animal but shooting a particular animal.

Look up Jake Jefferson at Black River Hunting.
Solid outfitter/owner/guide.

I'd second what @BnC 04 just said... Jake is well respected.

4-5 guys, moose, grizzly and caribou sounds to me like a pretty tall order. I’ve never used a guide but I do know one who might be able to pull it off. He hunts in the same neighborhood I do.
Look up Ultimatealaskanadventure.com
Talk to Steve Johnson.

4-5 guys, moose, grizzly and caribou sounds to me like a pretty tall order. …….
I reckon it would be close to impossible...certainly a challenge. Good luck with it .

i know this is africa huntin but everyone on here is so knowledgeable about hunting everywhere that i thought i would try this.

4-5 of us are wanting to book an Alaska combo hunt moose/grizz/caribou or such and want to see if anyone out there can suggest a particular hunt or outfitter? we want a lodge type hunt and don't care much for sleeping on the ground. as usual now that we can all afford to do this we aint young enough or in near good enough shape to go spike camp foot backing it all over the mountain. any thoughts comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I just booked a hunt with Alaskan Mountain Safaris while at SCI. They do full bag hunts for everything you are looking for and more. I wanted sheep plus everything else and I found it difficult to find and outfitter that offered what I wanted. They have cabins or wall tents that are all fully outfitted. They are a long tenured family operation. Check them out and see what you think.

4-5 guys, moose, grizzly and caribou sounds to me like a pretty tall order.

That was exactly my thoughts. You may have a hard time finding anyone that wants to take that on, especially out of a lodge.

I would second Alaskan Mountain Safaris. I have friends that hunted with them this year and could not have worked out better. Get a wolf tag.

@pajarito,
vintageguy is right, you could hunt africa on less money and do more shooting.

i work for a guide that has good caribou, great moose, good interior grizzlies. but for every one in your party to fill out on those, not likely. he has the camp and guides that would accommodate, you can call him and he will be completely honest with what he can provide you or your group.

his website is: alaskabrownbearhunts.net

good luck with planning your adventure.

I just booked a hunt with Alaskan Mountain Safaris while at SCI. They do full bag hunts for everything you are looking for and more. I wanted sheep plus everything else and I found it difficult to find and outfitter that offered what I wanted. They have cabins or wall tents that are all fully outfitted. They are a long tenured family operation. Check them out and see what you think.
Robert Fithian is well respected and I know him. His one brother lives near me and is a friend. I bought a ranch from another brother of his that moved to Montana. All good folks. Book with confidence.

thanks for all the feedback
to be clear 4-5 of us don't expect to kill one of everything though we would if possible but think that highly unlikely?
we all just have different ideas about what's #1 on our lists

I have taken all three but as a resident. However, all three on the same hunt, while staying in a lodge. I wouldn’t know where to start but I certainly wish you the best of luck in chasing your dream.

A friend of mine had Alaska Wilderness Adventures, a lodge on the Holitna river. I understand that the fellow who bought it is doing a good job. I think it would be a decent bet for moose and grizzly. I doubt you’d add caribou but it might be worth asking.

That was exactly my thoughts. You may have a hard time finding anyone that wants to take that on, especially out of a lodge.

I would second Alaskan Mountain Safaris. I have friends that hunted with them this year and could not have worked out better. Get a wolf tag.
Good to know.

Robert Fithian is well respected and I know him. His one brother lives near me and is a friend. I bought a ranch from another brother of his that moved to Montana. All good folks. Book with confidence.
Thanks so much Scott. I usually go with my gut on these things and don’t put too much stock in references. Maybe not smart on my part but it has worked out for me. I ”had to” get a sheep hunt booked at SCI so I did. I like Robert and know it will be a good hunt. A friend is going as well on this hunt.
PG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you