Alaska combo hunt recommendations

@fourfive8 ... What was the year of the photo? I killed a number of bulls like that in the 90s when the herd was still huge. I lived in a Koliganek sized village to the north and east of it called Nondalton. Back then caribou were everywhere; I never had any issue filling my 5 tags. A funny: I coached boy's HS basketball a couple of years. My first win as a coach was against Koliganek, 70-55.

I love old photos. I think yours is off just a hair. Looking south from the mountains North of Koliganek, Dillingham would be to the right of Koliganek not the left.

thanks for sharing that. It brought back memories of old photos I have stored in shoe boxes.

@Tundra Tiger, I figured you could relate to that! :) Been awhile and I have so many pics from so many trips. I think that was in '96 or '97. You may be right about the angle- dunno? I'll have to get the map out to make certain of the angle. Toward the horizon, the Nushagak itself becomes indistinguishable from the surrounds. We were pretty high up into the hills of the headwaters. The pic view is looking somewhat southwest. To the left and even farther left than the Dillingham indicator would be the Mulchatna drainage (not in view). IIRC the Nushagak, looking downriver, curves around, right to left, between that first major ridge in the far background and the distant horizon in the pic. I checked the locations on google earth and if anything from that location Dillingham and Koliganek are nearly on same line :) Line to Naknek would be nearer the left indicator.

Quite the place for sure! Those caribou migrations were unbelievable- thousands in loosely scattered, small bunches continually moving over that broken terrain. You could pick up a few in every direction for several miles around... on the move. The only brown bear we saw that trip was way down in the upland tundra flats east of the river between Dillingham and Koliganek. Higher up where we camped, you could glass black bears continuously all day- from single boars to sows with cubs. Had a wolverine try to haul off with one of our caribou racks with skull attached. Looked like a rug with legs pulling and yanking, but not making any progress as we approached on second trip to finish hauling it out. Some moose sign around camp but not a lot. More moose hanging around the river itself. On the fly out back to Koliganek I saw a really good bull moose in some timber and willows not far from that permanent tent camp just above the Big Bend on the east bank of the river.

Getting into there and out via super cub was not for the faint of heart. Bailing off that ever steepening ridge and picking the right bounce to lift off was note worthy! Good ole days :)

Upper Nushagak.png

Upper Nushagak super cub.png

Upper Nushagak.jpg

Last edited:
1996 was that first basketball win against Koliganek. I arrived in Nondalton late 1991. I again thank you for sharing photos - love'm. I was a stupid, wet behind the ears 20 something year old... I had no idea how good I had it.

I look back on all those hunting and fishing trips both on this continent but also more recently Africa and can’t really believe I lived through what may never be again. We sure learn to appreciate such experiences more and more the older we get. Try as I might, I just haven’t been able to slow the clock much during those fleeting experiences. First kudu I shot, just sat there in the thick grass telling the trackers and PH over and over, “ I will never be this way again”. By far not my best kudu but the culmination of one difficult hunt ending under perfect circumstances. I also look back at sheep hunting in the heart of the Wrangells and glassing hundreds of sheep a day. Then flying around that same area in a friend’s plane about 5 years ago- not seeing one. We don’t miss it until it’s gone. A few short months ago I was catching and releasing so many big char in a little feeder stream of Lake Becharof on a fly rod I lost count. That was an elixir for the soul! Time did slow a little :)

It reads as though you and I see things through a very similar lens. I never take an experience for granted, because it might be the last time, even if I don't intend that to be the case.

I sometimes see vintage photos and wonder about life in that exact moment in time, for whomever happens to be in it. I'm old enough to realize the thoughts I have of previous times others might have of my times someday. I think that's a part of what you were saying, or something like it.

In early April of 1994 (I think), I got dropped off for the day near where Pebble Mine was to be. Frankly, I was 27 and probably not nearly adequately prepared if had I had to stay the night. I needed meat and had 2 cow tags left. A buddy dropped me off in the morning and said he'd be back at evening if the weather held. Short story is I got my 2 cows, in fairly short order, and spent time packing them back to the pick-up site. While gutting one of them a herd of thousands came running toward me from over a nearby ridge. They parted and went around me, as they thundered by, me and my cow and a patch of exposed tundra an island in the middle of it all. I'll probably never experience something like that again, and opportunities to do so are probably dwindling. And that was just daily living in a village back then.

My first kudu bull felt the same, as what you describe. I relive it almost daily. I hope for more in the years to come but there will never be a time again like that sunny day in May. For anyone who actually reads this all this, never take a single moment for granted. Paraphrasing Heraclitus, we never step in the same river twice. It's never too soon to learn that.

Mike Andrew Sr, one of the Yupik elders in Igiugig village told stories of those caribou herds piling up on that side of the lake. He would always go that direction when hunting moose- around the west shore. After crossing at the outflow, head of the Kvichak at the village, he preferred following the shoreline in the direction of the Pebble mine site and hunted the marshy feeder streams. I think he killed most of his moose in that area. Later he couldn't see the sights on his rifle well enough to aim at all but nonetheless he always went moose hunting... if anyone would help him go. A friend there usually took him on that annual moose hunt if he was available help him. I'm certain he was desperately trying to refresh and hang onto those memories as long as he could. He also had some really wild and entertaining stories about bears. I listened! :)

Last edited:
@Tundra Tiger Here are a couple of pics taken from near Igiugig at the outflow looking up lake Illiamna kind of toward New Halen and Nondalton slightly farther some 60 miles distant. The proposed Pebble mine site would be on the left (or west side) of the lake. Anyone not familiar with the large lakes in AK, don't let these tranquil looking photos of this lake fool. When the wind comes up or if there are ice sheets it is one deadly body of water! Skilak over on the Kenai also comes to mind as one dangerous bugger with constant cold airflow off adjoining glaciers.

Spent quite a few trips and time around Igiugig and started noticing the locals' boats beached along the Kvichak at the village and most naturally turned upside down which allowed a view their bottoms. Hmmm- most all had their bottoms painted black? One day I asked what that was all about. The answer was simple! Since Illie the lake monster would have a harder time seeing a black bottom boat than a red or silver colored bottom... just paint the bottom black to be safe :) One thing I regretted never asking Mike about were his thoughts of Illie.... darn it. Pays to take time, reflect, relax and think.

Iliamna ne.JPG

Iliamna calm.jpg

Perhaps I missed this earlier - and now that this thread has gone off the original rails - but what took you to this part of the world back then?

Yo will need a guide for the grizzly. For moose and caribou you can do it yourself for a huge savings.

Yo will need a guide for the grizzly. For moose and caribou you can do it yourself for a huge savings.
The outfitter will sort out the licensing/guide requirements in short order after hunter(s) starts making connections. The OP wanted a lodge type hunt for a combo of brown/griz, moose, caribou for 4-5 people with little walking and no tent/spike camping.

Here are examples of what to expect for remote high quality hunting in areas that may have the combo the OP is looking for. The first pic is of a two man camp with brown bear skin hanging. The second is the main camp in the same area. Third pic shows conditions you might expect- spring or fall. Some hunters will go to these areas and expect game to walk by every day or two 500 yards away. Truth is no matter how good an area is and believe me the pics of these camps are in the middle of one of the best for the animals in question in AK! I believe the brown bear hunts in this area currently fetching around $20-22,000 per hunter. There likely will be a serious hike and some luck involved for success once an animal is glassed
from camp. Add moose and possibly caribou and the cost and time and effort will go up.
For 4-5 [people not wanting to hike or tent camp someday suggest a float hunt. I would avoid a float hunt- especially an "affordable" DIY float hunt for moose/caribou. Talk about the potential for seriously uncomfortable conditions with questionable chances for success!! :)

Good luck no matter how you choose to proceed

IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

AK Pen bear1.JPG

Perhaps I missed this earlier - and now that this thread has gone off the original rails - but what took you to this part of the world back then?
Hah! good question. Try to make it short. Grew up hunting and fishing so of course read and heard all about Alaska.... my kind of place :). A friend I went to school with was hired as an AK State Trooper just after he got out of the Army and he later transferred to brown shirts- so I had a connection for references and information. My nephew was stationed in AK in the Army then stayed there as civil service fire fighter. He settled in Fairbanks and worked first at Ft Wainwright then Clear. I also have a cousin who lives part time at Cooper Landing and works as a seasonal fishing guide on the Kenai. Also have a good friend living in Wasilla.

First trip- A friend I worked with had a connection in Nabesna who was a sheep guide with a super cub. So I saved up for my once in a lifetime sheep hunt in the Wrangells. That was '77. As mentioned earlier, another friend from Copper Center and I spent a day flying around the Wrangells about 5 years ago. Did not see sheep in the same area I hunted that had so many in '77... that was and still is worrisome! With relatives and friends scattered all over AK, I kept going fishing or hunting every chance I got- to date over twenty trips. Lucky in that I hunted sheep and brown bear before it got out of hand expensive. Most of the other fishing and hunting has been DIY except for one moose hunt-- which was a wise decision given the logistics involved. Have done some float trips and they have the potential to be either the best or worst. :)

love your pics and stories-please more

probably about 30 or 40 miles East of Kokhanok
Neat photo! I flew straight over that location this past August on the way to King Salmon. That cobbly upland tundra, with mixture of eroded bedrock and moraine is unique stuff- remnants of last ice age I think. Walking around in that always made me imagine I was on an alien planet :)

….,Paraphrasing Heraclitus, we never step in the same river twice. It's never too soon to learn that.
Amen! Ole Heraclitus was one wise dude! :)

I’ve only been able to ever so slightly slow the clock twice in the last 5 years.
Once around the boma fire at a camp in the Kalahari, Botswana and once 6 mos ago fly fishing char/dollies on a small feeder creek of Lake Becharof AK.

5CE17815-C152-491D-B200-7609C4EE57FE.jpeg
666049B7-C362-47C4-B1CD-E70E9B1E863C.jpeg

The trouble is that it is hard to find a grizzly, moose, or a caribou in Africa.

Sometimes it isn't about shooting a animal but shooting a particular animal.
True but if you have 5 going who want the comforts of a lodge, don’t want a spike camp and don’t want to walk then you aren’t likely to have much success either with that many people on a combo hunt in Alaska. But some outfitter will get a nice payday with little work probably followed by some bad reviews due to lack of hunter success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,