African Safari With Limited Mobility

IdahoMo

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hey African Hunting Folk. I've got a question for you all. I have a family member who is in a wheelchair, but otherwise great physical fitness. We've casually discussed the potential for him to go on a hunt, but he's unconvinced that his limited mobility could be accommodated in the bush. So to all you hunters and outfitters, have you ever seen hunter or worked with a client with this challenge? I'm certain he wouldn't be the first person who's done a hunt from a wheelchair, and I've never seen more innovative solutions to the world's problems than a bunch of South Africans or Zimbabweans in problem solving mode. Thanks in advance!

My PH from this past June told me he did a hunt with client in a wheelchair. (Shooting from the back of the bakie.) Said it went great and was one of his (the PH's) favorite memories.

Don’t let the wheel chair stop someone from having a life changing experience. Reach out to some of the sponsors here and I guarantee several could make it happen. Go for it!

I agree with USN.

Start a post detailing your requirements, including the animals he would like hunt ect...and ask sponsor outfitters to provide you with a package. I think you (and he) may be surprised at the responses and support.

I am sure he could do any hunt that did not involve walking. Even set up something like below. ;)

1694555730161.png

I agree with USN.

Start a post detailing your requirements, including the animals he would like hunt ect...and ask sponsor outfitters to provide you with a package. I think you (and he) may be surprised at the responses and support.
Every sponsor that is able loves a challenging hunt, not the wheelchair but seeing that the client has a great hunt. And thanks Mekaniks great minds think alike.

In the late 90's I worked for family members that own a heavy equipment construction company in Central and South America. My father who was wheelchair bound for the latter portion of his life came down to visit for 3 weeks. He was able to navigate several Central American countries. Somewhere I have a picture of him in in his chair on the bow of the boat casting for bonefish off the island of Guanaja. Also, many photos of him in different Mayan ruins and even ziplining. What I am saying, is that with your family members physical ability and drive there is not much that cannot be overcome. I am sure it is completely doable.

Hey African Hunting Folk. I've got a question for you all. I have a family member who is in a wheelchair, but otherwise great physical fitness. We've casually discussed the potential for him to go on a hunt, but he's unconvinced that his limited mobility could be accommodated in the bush. So to all you hunters and outfitters, have you ever seen hunter or worked with a client with this challenge? I'm certain he wouldn't be the first person who's done a hunt from a wheelchair, and I've never seen more innovative solutions to the world's problems than a bunch of South Africans or Zimbabweans in problem solving mode. Thanks in advance!
Frontier Safaris caters to folks with limited mobility. They even have a special room to accommodate such hunters. With the owner, Barry Burchell, in a wheelchair himself from a plane crash he certainly know how to cater to these clients. Check out their hunting packages Including cull packages.

I think some destinations might make more sense than others, but I also would say most of the top notch outfitters will make it work. They they are used to pounding square pegs into round holes, they often have no choice.

I don’t have a specific referral, but I think with proper coordination it would be very doable by shooting from truck or blinds.

I’m sure there are camps out there that would be suitable from an accessibility standpoint.

I’m a full time wheelchair user that can’t walk or stand, and I hunted with the Oelofses in 2021. HIGHLY recommend this organization for any limited mobility hunter. I’m quite confident they will take excellent care of you all, and you will have many opportunities at trophies.

I’m a full time wheelchair user that can’t walk or stand, and I hunted with the Oelofses in 2021. HIGHLY recommend this organization for any limited mobility hunter. I’m quite confident they will take excellent care of you all, and you will have many opportunities at trophies.
Thanks so much @Pathfinder19 for the recommendation!

@Ironside I saw your thread and I posed a similar one awhile back. Here’s some of the forum wisdom on the topic.

Take a look at Cruiser Safaris. Pieter Lamprecht did a great job with me and my buddy, a blind…one legged…one handed…badly burned hunter. He and nearby landowners rolled out the red carpet and my friend took all but one of his desired species.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GennieHowe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.