Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
England, Hungary, United States, Scotland, Namibia, Argentina
I would like to encourage the site to think about publishing a book based on the wisdom in the many posts. The members of this site have so much experience and it would be great to have a book, or two, that has curated and organized some of the key themes. I know the information is already on the site, but so much of what I read is because of the top trending topics, or searching for something, but there is so much good stuff on the site that I am sure that I always missing something. I have a book under my belt, still in print, and have helped a friend edit/rewrite another. Happy to help on this one, too.

Well, here's a thought – what if we try putting together a book from all the stuff on this site? Yeah, we've got loads of experience here, but let's be real, finding the good stuff in the sea of trending topics and searches can be a pain. Sure, there's info on the site, but I'm probably missing out on some nuggets. I've got a book hanging around (still in print somehow!) and gave a hand in editing my buddy's. I guess I could throw in my two cents on this one too, if it's gonna happen.

I would like to encourage the site to think about publishing a book based on the wisdom in the many posts. The members of this site have so much experience and it would be great to have a book, or two, that has curated and organized some of the key themes. I know the information is already on the site, but so much of what I read is because of the top trending topics, or searching for something, but there is so much good stuff on the site that I am sure that I always missing something. I have a book under my belt, still in print, and have helped a friend edit/rewrite another. Happy to help on this one, too.
Lest say for beginner?

People have no idea about African species. What can be legally hunted?
Make break down of most important huntable species.
After that, make break down of huntable animal groups. Big 5, DG 7 (with aquatics). spiral horns, tiny ten, premium and exotics. Bird hunting, often neglected.

Then make breakdown of hunting countries, of above list, huntable species per country, and hunting regulations and licensing procedures.

Once doing that, it would be good to make differences between ranch or farm hunting in most visited countries, and concession hunting, or campfire areas hunting in other countries.
pricing to be expected in various countries.

DIY hunt options in some countries. maybe somebody would like to try it.

How to choose reputable outfitter? References and questions to ask?

Specifics.
CBL hunting must be addressed. it is political issue today.
Rhino hunting as well. Rhino is specific, iconic species, also because it is mostly hunted on the ranches.

Then rifles, calibers - at least basic orientation.
Ammunition to be used.
Rifle import rules per country.
Shot placements

Trophies.
Field prep, and procedures for shipping. Is any country specifically complicated for this?
taxidermy shops in Africa?
Cites, and trophy import regulations for home country. (pls take a look at Europe, to keep research international)

Airline travel, firearms rules, friendly airlines.
Travel insurances.

Safari organizations, SCI, DSC, national PH organizations. What do they offer?

Conservation systems in Africa, and hunters dollars. ranches, concession, campfire areas, communal land hunting. antipoaching efforts

Non - hunting countries
It wouldn't hurt to list non-hunting countries where hunting is banned. To be crosschecked by drop in number of animal populations for some species.

I would start with a book of hunting stories. There are many of them here, with pictures/photps as well. Perhaps edit a little grammatically, stylistically and visually. It can also be as an electronic version in pdf.
Books about big game hunting, as well as about hunting in general, are published less and less. I would buy it as a book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davelotman21

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.