Africa 2016 Booked

Dang, I saw that impala at the beginning of my trip but didn't get a shot on it. Nice trophies.

Nice sable and pig!

Small world and what timing. I just got back from Africa where I was hunting in Thabazimbi with John Henry Keyser at Greatland and I was there from the 11th through the 18th. I wanted a leopard but I heard there were no tags available. I got a Cape Buffalo, Blue Wildebeest, two Bushbuck, a Kudu, a Zebra, a Giraffe, an Impala, a Nyala and an Eland, all with a bow.

I had the time of my life and it was actually the first time I had ever gone hunting. And like you, I am also dreaming of my return to the Dark Continent in July of 2017.
Stories to come - I heard about your awesome trip. Hoping we connect live or over the phone sometime soon! Looking forward to learning more about your trip!

dt

Wow Buck, nice Kudu in your avatar pic.

I have a retail brand to protect and don't want to be the next "Dentist from Minnesota" so I am not putting photos online with my picture in them. I have posted a few physical photos of myself next to the Cape buffalo at the hunting stores, but I am guessing those are safe - nobody cries over a dead cow. To paraphrase the Joker, "Nobody cares when a buffalo dies because it is part of the plan, but when one little lion or long necked horse dies, everybody goes crazy."

I have never hunted before, and didn't pick up archery until March this year when I bought my bow. Five months later, I take down a Cape buffalo and have John Henry Keyser to thank for that. I was hunting for 8 days.

Day 1 - Nyala
Day 2 - Shot a Zebra (got away - lost)
Day 3 - Greater Kudu and Zebra
IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0389.jpg

Day 4 - Giraffe
Day 5 - (Started Cape buffalo hunt - got nothing)
Day 6 - Bushbuck (still no love from the buffalo)
Day 7 - Another bushbuck, Cape Eland (and much unsuccessful time on the buffalo)
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0481.jpg
IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0503.jpg

Day 8 - Blue Wildebeest, Cape Buffalo (FINALLY!!)
Day 9 - leave for home, but shoot an impala before I leave. (Management/cull kill on old female, blind in one eye so no horns) (Pic of the impala is anti-climactic after the rest so no need to see her)
IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg

I understand Poindexter- you got some really great animals. That kudu is also a stud !!! Do you happen to remember what farm/ranch you were on when you killed the kudu? Mamba maybe ?

It was not mamba - these were all from his home ranch which is exclusively for bow hunting. There were two good kudu bulls I saw and a bunch of guys who needed one more year. There was of the younger ones with horns in the 48" range that looked great, had deep curls and a wide spread that will make an excellent trophy next year, comparable to what I shot.

I didn't get to hunt on mamba. Maybe some time in the future but I have already booked another safari, this one with Eland Safaris, before I went on this one, so 2017 is already filled. I was hoping to go to Mozambique in 2018 with John Henry but have not started the preparations. If lion I,ports open up, I want to do the kalahari, otherwise it will be Mozambique for Jumbo.

My hope is to get 3 of the dangerous 7 at Eland but have to see based on permits and time. If that goes well, I will have only a few left to complete the B5 and D7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg