Affordable big bores no longer being offered by the big guys

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
It seems like the days of finding affordable dangerous game/big bore bolt actions from non-bespoke companies are fading behind us. Especially those that offer CRF.

1. The CZ 550 was likely the quintessential affordable bolt gun platform that offered a wide array of dangerous game cartridges from .375 to .505 that the average working man could afford. This model was regrettably discontinued in 2019. The subsequent 557 and 600 series never offered any of the big bore chamberings.

2. Ruger MKII RSM - The last great Ruger? I'm not sure when these were discontinued but they have been gone for some time now.

3. Ruger No.1 no longer offering Big Bore options. I was hoping to find a new No.1 in .416 or .458 but they don't appear to be offering the rifle in anything larger than .275 Rigby at the moment.

4. Sako 85 Brown Bear - This is the latest rifle ive been trying to track down in .416 Rigby, discontinued in 2022. It doesn't look like the new Sako 100 switch-barrel rifle will offer any of the dangerous game cartridges.

So what's left?

1. There's the Winchester Model 70 Safari Express line. I rarely see these in stock but they continue to offer the rifles in 375H&H, .416 RemMag and .458 Winchester. Price $1,759.99 USD.

2. Browning offers their X-bolt in .375H&H ($1,129.99). The Browning BAR only seems to go up to .338 WM now.

3. Ruger offers their Hawkeye Guide Gun and African in .375/.416 Ruger ($1619.00 USD).

Am I missing any others? Do we expect this trend to continue with less and less affordable new production dangerous game rifles being released?

Are there any rumours of new rifles coming to production that will offer up some of these chamberings?

FYI, the BAR only came from the factory in the largest cartridge being offered in the .338WM. I've seen customs in .416 Taylor and .458WM (same case). Unless you want a Ruger cartridge (excellent cartridges IMHO), search for a good used CZ550 or Winchester M70, depending on what cartridge you're looking for. If you choose a .375 H and H or .458WM, your options will be much greater in available rifles. Also, look for a good used Interarms Mark X or Whitworth in .375 H and H or .458WM. My first large bore was a .375 H and H Whitworth. They are fine Mauser 98 actioned rifles and still reasonably priced when compared to other brands of used rifles. I went through the same thing in 2018 when looking for big bore rifles although the selection and prices were much better than now. Keep the faith and shop around. There are and have been good deals here on the AH classifieds section. Just be careful and practice your due diligence as it seems whether on here or any other classified sites, more and more scammers are out there in the last couple of years. Good luck with your search!

Last edited:
FYI, the BAR only came from the factory in the largest cartridge being offered in the .338WM. I've seen customs in .416 Taylor and .458WM (same case). Unless you want a Ruger cartridge (excellent cartridges IMHO), search for a good used CZ550 or Winchester M70, depending on what cartridge you're looking for. If you choose a .375 H and H or .458WM, your options will be much greater in available rifles. I went through the same thing in 2018 when looking for big bore rifles although the selection and prices were much better than now. Keep the faith and shop around. There are and have been good deals here on the AH classifieds section. Just be careful and practice your due diligence as it seems whether on here or any other classified sites, more and more scammers are out there in the last couple of years. Good luck with your search!
Oh interesting, so all the large offerings were custom builds? I was searching the FRT database in Canada (list of all firearms sold in the country) and I was seeing chamberings in 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, 458 WM.

The thought of a semi auto .458WM makes me smile.

Oh interesting, so all the large offerings were custom builds? I was searching the FRT database in Canada (list of all firearms sold in the country) and I was seeing chamberings in 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, 458 WM.

Yeah, I don't believe Browning factory chambered their BAR in .35 Whelen or 9.3x62? Nothing wrong with a custom though at a fair price? From what I've read (and there's videos on You Tube), a Browning BAR Mark 1 (steel receiver) in 7mm RM, .300 or .338WM is re barreled to .416 Taylor or .458WM. Same exact case dimensions except for the neck diameter and of course the .458WM is straight walled. It's an interesting build.

I'm not 100% sure you can take it to Africa. You will need to check on that.

It seems like the days of finding affordable dangerous game/big bore bolt actions from non-bespoke companies are fading behind us. Especially those that offer CRF.

1. The CZ 550 was likely the quintessential affordable bolt gun platform that offered a wide array of dangerous game cartridges from .375 to .505 that the average working man could afford. This model was regrettably discontinued in 2019. The subsequent 557 and 600 series never offered any of the big bore chamberings.

2. Ruger MKII RSM - The last great Ruger? I'm not sure when these were discontinued but they have been gone for some time now.

3. Ruger No.1 no longer offering Big Bore options. I was hoping to find a new No.1 in .416 or .458 but they don't appear to be offering the rifle in anything larger than .275 Rigby at the moment.

4. Sako 85 Brown Bear - This is the latest rifle ive been trying to track down in .416 Rigby, discontinued in 2022. It doesn't look like the new Sako 100 switch-barrel rifle will offer any of the dangerous game cartridges.

So what's left?

1. There's the Winchester Model 70 Safari Express line. I rarely see these in stock but they continue to offer the rifles in 375H&H, .416 RemMag and .458 Winchester. Price $1,759.99 USD.

2. Browning offers their X-bolt in .375H&H ($1,129.99). The Browning BAR only seems to go up to .338 WM now.

3. Ruger offers their Hawkeye Guide Gun and African in .375/.416 Ruger ($1619.00 USD).

Am I missing any others? Do we expect this trend to continue with less and less affordable new production dangerous game rifles being released?

Are there any rumours of new rifles coming to production that will offer up some of these chamberings?
One thing you might consider is to find a rifle you like in 7mm, .300WM, .338, etc. and have it rebarreled to .458 WM, .416 Taylor or something else with the same case length. You might be able to get it done without too much extra in gunsmithing. Just an idea I've been kicking around.

I'm not 100% sure you can take it to Africa. You will need to check on that.
I don't believe you can and I'm surprised the OP can still have/hunt with them in Canada?

I hear you and feel your frustration. Affordable big bores north of the 49th are a rare and soon to be extinct it seems but if you haven't yet, check out Prophet River's website at Lloydminster, just might get lucky

I don't believe you can and I'm surprised the OP can still have/hunt with them in Canada?
For now anyway. The government banned most of the modern sporting rifles in 2020 but we still have a decent selection of semi autos (mostly .223, 7.62x39, 9mm, 308 etc). There are a couple of optios for larger calibers like the Browning Bar and Benelli R1. Most hunters I know don't venture too far beyond 30-06 for domestic hunting.

One thing you might consider is to find a rifle you like in 7mm, .300WM, .338, etc. and have it rebarreled to .458 WM, .416 Taylor or something else with the same case length. You might be able to get it done without too much extra in gunsmithing. Just an idea I've been kicking around.
Yep, any of the .458WM (actually .375 H and H parent case) family of belted cases (.264WM, 7mmRM, .300 and .338WM) all have same .532 rim diameter, case width and length (7mm a smidge longer). No magazine or action work needed. Just re barrel. Beautiful!

I hear you and feel your frustration. Affordable big bores north of the 49th are a rare and soon to be extinct it seems but if you haven't yet, check out Prophet River's website at Lloydminster, just might get lucky
I'm a huge fan of Prophet River, bought my CZ550 there! For the Canadian Market it seems like Prohpet River, Calgary Shooting Centre, Wolverine Supplies and Ellwood Epps are the best places to still find big bores.

Most outside of NA, some of the PROs can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, there's a video here on AH of one "Razor Dobbs" hunting and killing a Cape Buffalo in Africa with a 10mm semi auto pistol. So, maybe a semi auto rifle in a large bore producing ten times the energy would be allowed? Probably not. LOL

Learning through another's misfortune, not all Win mag rifles will want to feed a .458 reliably. Might need some work on the rails.

I might be wrong, but I believe Savage makes a 110 in 375 and Mossberg makes a 375 R, Tikka makes 9.3x62's, Zastava makes 9.3's and I think 375's, Blaser makes all kinds, there's Mauser and Sako, and some others in Europe. Weatherby is still around, and I expect we will see some Remingtons again, once they get production going. There are some small makers here in the US as well. Not a lot of new stuff for us niche markets. How many 458 Lotte's are you going to sell each year, compared to 223's and Creedmores. I think they are focusing on higher volume runs in more profitable markets.
Bfly

I might be wrong, but I believe Savage makes a 110 in 375 and Mossberg makes a 375 R, Tikka makes 9.3x62's, Zastava makes 9.3's and I think 375's, Blaser makes all kinds, there's Mauser and Sako, and some others in Europe. Weatherby is still around, and I expect we will see some Remingtons again, once they get production going. There are some small makers here in the US as well. Not a lot of new stuff for us niche markets. How many 458 Lotte's are you going to sell each year, compared to 223's and Creedmores. I think they are focusing on higher volume runs in more profitable markets.
Bfly
It looks like both the Savage 110 and Mossberg Patriot are available in 375 Ruger. Thanks for reminding me about Weatherby, I believe the Mark V comes in dangerous game cartridges, although I'm guessing most are exclusively the hard-t-come-by Weatherby cartridges. I've also been pointed in the directon of Dakota Arms, Montana Rifle Company and Kimber, however I know virtually nothing about these companies.

@Northern Shooter How much do you call affordable. There is a Blaser R8 in .458 Lott or 500 for sale on the forum now for $7700. Too pricey by my standards and a push feed, but we have a lot of members that buy Blasers .

@Northern Shooter How much do you call affordable. There is a Blaser R8 in .458 Lott or 500 for sale on the forum now for $7700. Too pricey by my standards and a push feed, but we have a lot of members that buy Blasers .
eh, more in the $3000 ballpark. I don't think I could justify spending upwards of 10K on a firearm unless it was a double rifle.

Dakota Rifles are now called Parkwest. As Dakotas they were excellent rifles in my opinion. Single shot model 10 was around $5000. The large caliber bolt action African rifles were about $9000 to $15000 as new. I have no idea if they still maintain these kind of prices as Parkwest rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois