Advice on self defense weapon

Good luck on finding any of the above mentioned guns or ammo for it in the U S right now!
LGS near me has a display case full of handguns. Whether or not the ones one wants is another story.

I lean towards a pump shotgun for home defense. You can purchase one that is designed for home defense that has a shorter barrel and isn't too large. As has been mentioned you don't have to worry about over penetration which just about all the handguns that have been suggested will do.

I also don't go along with the theory that racking the slide will scare anyone, but looking down that 1" hole in the end of the barrel will.

For a handgun I would go with a revolver. They are simple and go bang every time that you pull the trigger as long as there is ammo in it. They are also not fussy about what kind of ammo you put into the cylinder and even when dirty they very seldom jam to the point that they can't be used.

As for lawsuits, if you shoot someone it is better that they are dead inside of your home then there is only one side of the story that gets told. But more and more states are enacting the stand your ground or so called "Make my day" laws where as long as you are withing your home pretty much everything is justified on a break in.

Respectfully, I tend to disagree on point for revolver, such as s&w 357.
In emergency situation, there may be a need to shoot it in double action mode.
Then, if you are not extremely trained and skilled, you will loose accuracy with hard trigger pull in double action.

However, for home defence, full size semiauto, double action, might be a way to go.
Easier to aim with full size.

Features to reccomend:
Have pistol fiber sights, which are easier to see in dark.
Piccatiny rail, on frame can give you option for mounting a flashlight.
Double action, can give you option for a round in chamber, with relaxed hammer. (no tension on springs)

If considering laser sights - then green is more visible then red.

Caliber, I think all are good..... but, real stopper is historically proven to be 45 ACP, but neiher will 9x19 fail.

Final thought, in some of the magazines some of the authors suggested to better have nickel plated pistol, rather then black. More visible in night, and more likely to deter criminals, when they see a gun. If they dont see it, they will not be scared. This was, if I recall correctly, based on some statistcis of use of pistol in self defence, as CCW firearm (black ones, used more often and this is what we all want to avoid).

BTW - loaded gun, keep locked. Biometrric or coded locks... easy access.

Gentlemen -

I must put forth a completely different line of reasoning for Royalty's request.

My recommendation would be for an AR-15. Here are some of the reasons why:

1. People shoot better with a rifle than with a pistol. Pistol skills are much more perishable than rifle skills

2. A pistol is what one uses to fight their way back to the rifle they shouldn't have laid down to begin with. (Clint Smith)

3. 5.56x45 breaks up better when passing through walls vs. 9mm which just punches through. Royalty did not state if he has kids, or lives in an apartment or on 160 acres, so I don't know if pass-through is an issue. It is also a substantial upgrade in power from a pistol or Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC - why carry and use the size envelope of a carbine for a pistol cartridge's effect on the target?)

4. Any 12-13 year old and up can handle the recoil impulse, so if Royalty goes down, Mrs. Royalty can step in (assuming she was trained and of proper mindset).

5. The carbine/rifle allows Royalty to defend himself out to 500 yards, whereas a handgun is only good for 50.

6. Lego/Barbie doll nature of the ubiquitous platform - he can get it tailored to his body shape and Goldilocks preferences. Mags, parts, ammo (normally) are available everywhere.
7. 29+1 rounds of ammo beats 17+1 for the G17, and 5-10 for the shotgun. Reloading is at least AS easy as the Glock, and WAY easier than the shotgun. If the shotgun takes mags, then 29 beats 10 rounds.

8. 85% of people shot with handguns survive. Rifles are much more decisive fight stoppers. If Royalty is repelling boarders (an ANTIFA squad, or just 4 miscreant home invaders) then this becomes a genuine issue regarding stopping the attack of the first bad guy to be able to focus on 2, 3 & 4.

9. With rifle he steps up to becoming a minuteman and can help defend the US. With a pistol he is better than a liberal, but not fully up to speed.

10. The carbine route doesn't even have to be 5.56 - I prefer .308WIN, there is .300 Blackout, .300 Hammer, .350 Legend, etc..

BTW, the G-17 is awful large to carry concealed, whereas a G19 hits the sweet spot between CCW and being able to ride the bucking pony during shooting. If it was JUST a nightstand weapon, then the size won't matter, but if you only have one pistol, it should be concealable so you can defend yourself away from home.

I have a few ideas in this area at hammers4hunting.com. I have taught CCW for MO for over a decade - NRA instructor, some time with Uncle Sam coaching marksmanship teams, etc.. I am not saying I know it all, but have been taught by **NOT**PERMITTED**, Clint Smith, Suarez and Uncle Sam and try to share what those parties pounded into my rock-hard head. My military background overrides plain hunting/the civilian approach. It is, at the bottom line, after all, combat we are talking about. Hopefully Royalty will examine the carbine route.

I see a lot of recommendations for pump shotguns...

Dont get me wrong.. a pump gun has its merits... they are affordable (you can pick up an old, but reliable Rem 870P "police" shotgun for $300 pretty easily)... they are reliable (if you get a decent one).. and they are pretty easy to learn to use effectively... and.. they are deadly...

But they also have a LOT of limitations..

The #1 issue when FISHing (Fighting in Someones House) with a shotgun is over penetration...

Slugs are going to zip through walls and light items in the house like they dont even exist.. and heavy 000 or 00 buck will also penetrate through a lot of stuff and presents the additional concern of multiple pellets flying around (it only takes 1 to be on the outer edge of the pattern that misses the intended target that then flies into your 9 year old daughters room next door)...

There is a reason most law enforcement and military tactical teams that conduct CQB as a matter of routine have abandoned shotguns for anything other than breaching at this point...

Shotguns also have limited capacity... dont kid yourself.. no matter how close the target you are, and no matter what weapon you are wielding, unless you are highly trained and experienced in close quarters battle.. you are very likely going to miss.. and likely going to miss more than once..

In the US, police officers (guys that carry weapons every day for a living) miss roughly 70% of all shots taken in gunfights...

Shooting on the 2 way range is very different than shooting at paper on the one way range.. stress is high.. light is most likely dim (or non existant).. the target is moving.. the target may be shooting back.. youre going to most likely tired or caught unaware and rushing to action, etc..

3-5 rounds in your typical pump action shotgun isnt a whole lot when you consider "civilian" self defense shootings in the US average 3.6 rounds per incident.. if all you have is 3 rounds.. you better hope you do better than the 70% miss rate cops experience and connect on one of your first three trigger pulls..

Even "short" shotguns with 18" barrels and short stocks are "long" and unweildy compared to other options (pistols, carbines, etc).. If youve never tried to "clear" a house with a shotgun before.. give it a try... climbing stairs, turning corners, etc is a serious bitch..

Again.. not saying a shotgun is the wrong answer for the OP.. just saying these days its not often the best choice for most people.. its got a LOT of limitations.. and only a few advantages/benefits..

My recommendation would be for an AR-15. Here are some of the reasons why:

I concur...

Affordable.. reliable.. deadly...

Limited over penetration issues with the right ammo.. shorter than your typical "combat" shotgun.. so its easier to manipulate in a CQB situation..

Can easily carry 30-60 rounds on the weapon...

Easy platform to learn/master with minimal training..

My home defense shotgun ammo is #4

#4 was my solution to the over penetration issue back when I kept a mossy 590 for home defense.. Its a very good option if you go the shotgun route..

I suggest reading the about the Miami FBI shootout in (1986?) “Firearms News” had an excellent article about it. There were many lessons learned that day that led to great developments in handgun bullets, and the use of rifles for policemen.
The man with Mini 14 clearly carried the biggest stick that day.

I must say I was fascinated to see how this would pan out

Mention the words 'home defence' in concert with gun ownership in the UK and you can expect the following

1. Knock on the door by the police
2. Confiscation of firearms
3. Revocation of fire arms certificate without which you may not possess anything more than an air rifle
4. Possible criminal charge for thinking incorrectly

My reply is a bit tongue in cheek - but only a little!

It is not a phrase to be used here without inviting trouble

My advice. On a wheel gun @Red Leg is right. For a semi-auto, don't get a Glock. Get one that has a hammer, accidental discharges are less likely grabbing the gun in the middle of the night, not that difficult to pull back the hammer, or get a double action hammer gun.

If you are concerned about internal pass throughs, get Glaser Safety Slugs. I use those when I am inside a building and change out the magazine to hollow points outdoors.

AR-15, lots of control, lots of add-ons, just a little difficult to keep on your nightstand.

Mine seems to fit quite nicely...

Your mileage may vary.

: )

AR on Nightstand.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Having been burglarized and seeing the quantity of miscreants and vehicles used to hit said rural neighborhood, an AR 'pistol variant' is at the ready in my home now and a p229 in the battle belt should the need and timing allow for it.

Which is why I said "register it".
With respect to a wheel gun, I was trying to advise someone with little experience in "home defense" firearms. My spouse is competent and capable with her 686.

However, my own personal choice a short reach away is a DDM4 V7 P Mil Spec in 5.56. We live on our little ranch in the country, and I am unworried about collateral pass throughs. To my mind, it is just about the perfect instrument to dominate an engagement.

Whatever firearm you choose, whether handgun, shotgun or carbine be sure to get 1,000+ rounds of training and practice ammunition. Find yourself a good gunfighting school and get trained up properly and become competent and proficient with it.

Given that I’m Canadian and Trudeau probably cry’s every time I read this site we’re going to assume my post is only hypothetical. That said a folding stock M1 carbine is a nice bridge between a handgun and rifle which is still easily maneuvering in a confined space.

Whatever firearm you choose, whether handgun, shotgun or carbine be sure to get 1,000+ rounds of training and practice ammunition. Find yourself a good gunfighting school and get trained up properly and become competent and proficient with it.

Yeah... good luck with that right now...

1000 rounds of 9mm, 45 acp, 357 mag, or 556 is nearly impossible to come by at the moment... and 1000 rounds of slugs or buck would be outrageously expensive and still very hard to come by...

Training and ammo supply are definitely as important a part of the home defense equation as the firearm...

But for the next several months you probably are going to need to be content with a couple of boxes of ammo (that you’re going to pay way too much for) a single trip to the range for familiarization and a reliability check... and a whole lot of dry fire practice...

I’m guessing in 6 months to a year you’ll be able to find cases of 9mm and 556 on the shelf again for reasonable prices..

If you’re looking for ammo tomorrow though.. it’s not happening...

It’s times like these I am thankful I stocked up over time and really don’t need to buy ammo anymore... between what I have in the ammo locker and the components I have at the reloading bench I’ve got enough to last me until I take a dirt nap...

Sadly there are a lot of guys out there not nearly as well prepared though (as evidenced by the empty shelves at every firearm counter in the US right now)

Actually have thought of selling some of my stock since I see it on GunBroker for 4x what I paid for it.....CRAZY times!
Just doesn’t seem right though.

Take a course, try different weapons, and then make a choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois