Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
I think I have a good plan for caliber and rifle selection for my safari in Zambia in late July and early August but wanted to see what you guys think. I will be hunting and traveling to three different areas to get the three lechwe species (Kafue, red and black) as well as sitatunga, roan, sable, puku, waterbuck, bushbuck, etc… plus I have reserved a buffalo for my father. I’m taking my parents on their first safari, mostly as observers. We are hunting Kasonso Busanga GMA bordering Kafue NP for most of the above species and then the Bangweulu Swamp for black lechwe. The “swamp species” such as the lechwe and sitatunga will be hunted in the open country of the swamps in these areas and shots could be a bit longer than encountered on most African safaris.

Rifles/calibers I am considering from my safe:

1. Tuebor Precision 6.5 GAP with titanium action with carbon wrapped barrel, Nightforce turret scope and 140gr Berger Hybrid bullets. Shot my Marco Polo sheep at 550 yards with this rifle. It’s a .300 RUM necked down to a 6.5. I was thinking of using this rifle in the swamps for the lechwe and sitatunga because shots can get long. I have shot this rifle out to 1500 yards but would never shoot an animal at more than half that distance. My PH owns a 6.5 and is impressed with the performance on smaller PG species so he is fine with my setup for the swamp hunting.

2. Custom Winchester M70 in .300 WSM with a Leupold scope with Premier Reticle dots out to 600 yards. This is my lightweight mountain rifle for most of my sheep hunting in North America. It’s very lightweight and hard to hold steady without a solid rest. Sighted in with 165 gr Nosler Accubond bullets.

3. Custom Winchester M70 in .338 WM with a Leupold scope with Premier Reticle dots out to 600 yards. This is the rifle I have used for most of my PG hunting and a lot of NA hunts. It has a heavy but fluted stainless Krieger barrel without iron sights. Very accurate for a medium bore caliber. Sighted in with 225 gr Swift A-Frame bullets.

4. Whitworth Interarms Model X in .375 H&H Mag with beautiful wood, iron sights, barrel band sling swivel with Leupold VX6 2-12x scope with adjustable illuminated reticle in Talley QD rings. Sighted in with Barnes 270 gr LRX bullets. I thought this would be great for PG and would work just fine for my dad’s buffalo. I know 300 gr bullets are normally recommended for buffalo but the 270 gr would work. This is a new rifle for me.

5. CZ550 Safari .458 Lott with several upgrades by Wayne at AHR with iron sights and a Leupold V6 2-12x scope in Talley QD rings. Composite stock and cerakote coating on all metal. This is my back up rifle for brown bear guiding and I have also shot two buffalo with it in Mozambique. Sighted in with 500 gr Barnes TTSX.

For the swamp hunting, I was thinking of taking the Tuebor 6.5 and for everything else, the Whitworth .375. Or should I take the .338 and .375? Or the .338 and .458? Or the .375 and .458? Or just the .375? I only want to take two rifles. My dad has never shot the .458 Lott.

Your thoughts?

300 WSM should be fine for all PG including sitatunga and even long shots on the flats for K and B lechwe. The 338 bullet is even better, but the WSM will probably outshoot it if the shots are long (338 WM is called a mag but the Vs aren't much higher than a 338-06 when using proper, heavier bullets. It's the starting point of the 338 mags)! The 6.5 will do the job, but 140s are just getting the party started in that caliber (150-160s gr will perform even better-higher SD/BC). That, and IF for any reason your ammo doesn't show up, you're SOL (Not so much for 300 or 375.) I'm a big fan of big-cased 6.5s (WSM, Wby, etc. They're great shooters and work.) Thus, the 300 is the do-all for PG in Africa, but consider 180+ gr bullets (.310 SD 200 gr even better if shot distance is curtailed somewhat). These animals are larger and a lot more toughly constructed than deer. 375 for your Dad, but it should probably be scoped. That fancy wood should work wonders. 1-5x Leupold or 1-6x Trijicon (same value as gun) w/ Talley rings/bases. You can get close if need be. You could bring the 458 to back up for your Dad, but the PH and tracker(s) should have same and can spare yourself of carrying add'l. guns. Will you visit Victoria Falls? (Even from the Z side where the falls are in Livingstone, is very nice! IF it's hot out, you can relax in the pools at the top.) *resist shooting the elephant there.

Last edited:
I vote for the .300 WSM!

If it were me I’d take the .338 and .375, don’t think I would tackle a roan with a 6.5.
I would only use the 6.5 for the smaller swamp species, not roan or sable. Thanks for your thoughts.

So up front I should admit I am not into carrying a bunch of rifles (preferably only one) overseas. However, in your case I would carry two. Either the .375 or .458 and the .300 WSM. You won't be able to do anything off sticks on the flats or a high seat above a swamp with a 6.5 that you can't do with the .300 with just a bit more room for shot placement error - with those rests, it won't be a range thing.

300 WSM should be fine for all PG including sitatunga and even long shots on the flats for K and B lechwe. The 338 bullet is even better, but the WSM will probably outshoot it if the shots are long (338 WM is called a mag but the Vs aren't much higher than a 338-06 when using proper, heavier bullets. It's the starting point of the 338 mags)! The 6.5 will do the job, but 140s are just getting the party started in that caliber (150-160s gr will perform even better-higher SD/BC). That, and IF for any reason your ammo doesn't show up, you're SOL (Not so much for 300 or 375.) I'm a big fan of big-cased 6.5s (WSM, Wby, etc. They're great shooters and work.) Thus, the 300 is the do-all for PG in Africa, but consider 180+ gr bullets (.310 SD 200 gr even better if shot distance is curtailed somewhat). These animals are larger and a lot more toughly constructed than deer. 375 for your Dad, but it should probably be scoped. That fancy wood should work wonders. 1-5x Leupold or 1-6x Trijicon (same value as gun) w/ Talley rings/bases. You can get close if need be. You could bring the 458 to back up for your Dad, but the PH and tracker(s) should have same and can spare yourself of carrying add'l. guns. Will you visit Victoria Falls? (Even from the Z side where the falls are in Livingstone, is very nice! IF it's hot out, you can relax in the pools at the top.) *resist shooting the elephant there.

The 140 gr bullets in my 6.5 are crazy accurate out to extreme ranges and the ballistics are all calculated by my Sig rangefinder so the heavier bullets aren’t an advantage even though the SD is better. I doubt I would shoot past 500 yards on this safari.

The .300 WSM is so lightweight but it would replace both the 6.5 and .338 WM and would work on small and larger PG. Good points by you.

The .375 is scoped with QD mounts and iron sights. You are correct that the PH will have a bigger caliber for backup.

Not sure about visiting Victoria Falls. We are already traveling to three different safari areas but would like to show my parents VF if we have time.

Thanks for all your advice.

The 140 gr bullets in my 6.5 are crazy accurate out to extreme ranges and the ballistics are all calculated by my Sig rangefinder so the heavier bullets aren’t an advantage even though the SD is better. I doubt I would shoot past 500 yards on this safari.

The .300 WSM is so lightweight but it would replace both the 6.5 and .338 WM and would work on small and larger PG. Good points by you.

The .375 is scoped with QD mounts and iron sights. You are correct that the PH will have a bigger caliber for backup.

Not sure about visiting Victoria Falls. We are already traveling to three different safari areas but would like to show my parents VF if we have time.

Thanks for all your advice.
i know how accurate they are, but a deer an african antelope is not. An SD of .310 is better than .287 when using smaller calibers. Trust me I know after 6 trips w/ the 1st .264 WSM (i called it the RSM) ever made! Your cartridge has even more steam, but that just tends to make the smaller bullets break up at shorter ranges (if not the highest SD.) If monometal, you can get away with some things. You'll find the 150s-160s "crazy accurate" to long ranges, too, only with higher BC and SD. At a certain muzzle V, the 160s carry more E out farther and drop less. Inside 500, the drop isn't an issue. The penetrating power and energy imparted, are. Most of the species you're targeting are pretty tame. Crazy accurate is what TV commercials tell you. Handloading accuracy only gets so good (1-hole groups, or at least all shots touching!) You can shoot all the PG on your list w/ the 6.5. Expect some walking and/or follow-ups after shots on the larger stuff... Practice shooting whatever you choose!

Last edited:
.458 Lott for Buffalo and any of the others but the 6.5 for PG

Thanks for your thoughts. Not sure I want to tote the Lott all the way over there just for one species but I do love the Lott! I am a bit concerned about my 79 year-old father shooting it.

As for the 6.5, it packs plenty of punch for lechwe and sitatunga but I agree it should not be the choice for other PG. Thanks for your thoughts.

I like the 6.5 and 375 combo. I did that (6.5PRC and 375 Ruger) for my Massiland hunt last summer and it was great. The 6.5 for the gazelles, hartebeest etc. and the 375 for everything else. I like the 300 and 375 combo too - I'd take the one I shot best.

I hunted Lunga Lushwishi GMA in August 2006 which is I believe is GMA just east of where you will be hunting. I’d take 300/375 combo. My Dad and I hunted plains game. I used 300 H&H and he used 300 wby, most shots were 100-200 yards and several pushing 300 but had no need for further shots. He and my brother went back in 2012(?) with the same rifles. The land is much more open than other areas I hunted, huge open areas surrounded by relatively open woods. I would be more concerned about long shot on roan than lechwe. I saw many roan during trip but never close up, they would always be at far end of open area. If they are anything like the roan I just hunted in Zimbabwe, they are most switched on animal I’ve hunted. They are also a big bodied animal and I’d want more than a 6.5. If the lechwe are anything like lechwes in Caprivi, they will not be difficult to stalk. They have a tolerance because they are use to fishermen and other human activities near water. I’ve taken 3 red lechwe in Caprivi shots were 150-220 yards. I unsuccessfully hunted buffalo during the trip for 2 days (remote area in concession required dedicated effort and long drive), I borrowed rifle and we got on buffalo both days, but it’s open woodland and a scoped 375 would have been perfect over open sighted 458 I had to use. I’d take 300/375 combo with you or 338/375 if you think you can shoot 338 better over your 300.

Where will you be hunting red lechwe in Zambia? I know they are there because I shot one of mine very close to border, but didn’t know any operated hunting concessions offered them in Zambia.

Last edited:
Whittle it down to 2 rifles. I agree with Red Leg, 300 WSM and either the .375 or .458 Lott. It sounds like the .375 may be a better idea for your dad.

+1

I should add you seem to love the 6.5, and I don’t blame you from the way you describe it. I’m sure it’s fully capable of all the PG you’ve listed. I like .30 cals, so that’s why I lean that way.

we saw quite a few red lechwe (and hordes of buffalo, too-one park is named after 'em) at dark feeding out in the open while traveling through the parks and hunting areas of the Caprivi along the Cubango (angola-namib-bots) and Kwando (angola-zambia-namib-bots) rivers. I once spoke w/ a Zambian PH and inquired about hunting all 3 lechwe species there and he seemed to be having difficulty lining it up (I think the reds, the most common, oddly were the issue). No issue to hunt reds in Namib or Bots or repurposed models in RSA-all kidding aside, I've seen some whoppers in SA.) It'll be hard not to enjoy your trip. Zambia was rated the safest country to travel in Africa many times (as is Namibia.) I personally know a couple of PHs that operate in both Namibia and Zambia if you're running into issues with this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross