Accubonds and Eland

I used the Accubonds in my 280AI & 300RUM, last year for Elk & Mule deer and even a few porcupines lol. Did the job well at ranges from 50 yards to 450, good bullet with a great co-efficent, as far as the 35 Whelen goes if WH has a magic fastest barreled in existence my reloading buddy has it twin:bighello: We have chrono many loads above 2800 :pcwhack:

You guys all act like its no big deal to get this kind of velocity out of the .35 Whelen. Lets remember what you are saying here. You are saying that you can safely get energy equal to the .338 Win mag and nearly up to low end .375 H&H loads. Nearly 4000 ft/lbs! To get these kinds of ballistics out of the basic .30-06 case is to my mind extraordinary. I dont think even PO Ackley made such claims and he was very optimistic especially as regards his own creations. You guys arent talking about Improved rounds are you?

You guys all act like its no big deal to get this kind of velocity out of the .35 Whelen. Lets remember what you are saying here. You are saying that you can safely get energy equal to the .338 Win mag and nearly up to low end .375 H&H loads. Nearly 4000 ft/lbs! To get these kinds of ballistics out of the basic .30-06 case is to my mind extraordinary. I dont think even PO Ackley made such claims and he was very optimistic especially as regards his own creations. You guys arent talking about Improved rounds are you?

Well I have 3 Ackley and you are focused on only one of the equations for energy, I would not take my 22-250 to Africa and it has the same 30-06 case and get 3900 FPS out that gun everyday but only 60 grain bullet,

Most 35 whelen factory loaded ammo is made for lever action carbine short barrel and not even spire pointed bullets.

That is the beauty of reloading so grab ya a handful of loading manuals and see how much fun you can have playing with different powders and bullets to get the golden ring.

But remember the game changes for you want to play, shoot flesh or punch hole in a paper target:) I could go on about my best loads for most of my bolt actions you have to feed one at a time too long for the magazine but man they can fly but would suck for hunting, back to my 375 loads:bighello:

Bigun, Not sure your point here. I am only pointing out that to get the velocity and energy you guys claim for the .35 Whelen is above and beyond what might be considered normal. Nothing to do with the 22-250 which is not the .30-06 case by the way, but the 250-3000 Savage case and it would be a tall order to get 3900 fps with that either, with a 60 gr bullet. As to handloading I have been doing it for around 45 years, how long you?

I shot my eland last year with 300WM and 180gr Accubonds perfect mushrom 420 meters 3100 mv one shot kill use them with confidence. and for those pushing pressure remember that 65000psi is 6 to 10 inches from your face. Just because you can doesnt mean you should!

Most 35 whelen factory loaded ammo is made for lever action carbine short barrel and not even spire pointed bullets.

:bighello:

???? you my friend are stepping on toes...outside of a Browning lever does such a gun exist (I don't even know if Browning makes a lever in 35Whelen)? I would put my 35Whelen up against any,,ANY,,, (factory loaded or handloaded) for accuracy and (with the 2 factory loads my rifle likes 200gr Remington Core lokt and Federal Premium 225gr. TBBC) both shoot less than 1/2MOA and have accounted for numerous game..... One of the first lessons I learned on this forum is not to bash anothers choice of caliber/rifle "BART". I am on the defence here because like sestoppelman pointed out, I am also not sure where you were going with the statements made. Just know what I read i didn't like.

You may be thinking 35 Remington, which was designed for the lever action platform, and is still a great round/caliber.

Browning did and maybe still does chamber its BLR in .358 Winchester but never did the Whelen to my knowledge. BART is correct also in what he says about pressure. I cannot imagine getting the claimed velocities without some pretty hefty pressure. The old saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" comes to mind.

Bigun, Not sure your point here. I am only pointing out that to get the velocity and energy you guys claim for the .35 Whelen is above and beyond what might be considered normal. Nothing to do with the 22-250 which is not the .30-06 case by the way, but the 250-3000 Savage case and it would be a tall order to get 3900 fps with that either, with a 60 gr bullet. As to handloading I have been doing it for around 45 years, how long you?

Well gee I got my first set of lee dippers when I was 16, and I am managed make it to ole age of 55 if you want my resume, I was just making a point about FPS is only one part of the eguation for energy, I never said anything about how much energy I was making with any of my loads.

I could give a rat a$$ if you believe I can or cannot get 3900 fps out of my 22-250. You are correct the 22-250 came from 250 Savage designed by Newton in 1914, i was just using 06 that as non belted magnum 4000 fps is not that hard to achive, you think in 1914 they had the same powders we have now?? Times change and things we could not achive in 1914 are done every day by handloaders.

This is not a reloading site, only been on here for a short period of time so trying to just make general statement, we can hook up on some of the reloading sites I belong to and carry on with your arguments about FPS and how to attain them. Get into energy thing heck maybe compare how many days we have spent hunting, my truck is faster and I own a bad a$$ airboat and My american bulldog will whip your dog's butt. :cool: Or agree to disagree

Hope you are sure know what I meant.:bulb:

BF your skill is awesome, WOW one shot that is rare for sure, thanks for reminding us again, I almost forgot from the last post. I used to shoot a 300WM but gave it up for the superior case capacity of the 300RUM & smoother feed of a non belted cartridge but mine is a deer rifle :cool:

Back to the OP question accubond is great bullet same as many great choice we have, load them shoot something and make your pick.

???? you my friend are stepping on toes...outside of a Browning lever does such a gun exist (I don't even know if Browning makes a lever in 35Whelen)? I would put my 35Whelen up against any,,ANY,,, (factory loaded or handloaded) for accuracy and (with the 2 factory loads my rifle likes 200gr Remington Core lokt and Federal Premium 225gr. TBBC) both shoot less than 1/2MOA and have accounted for numerous game..... One of the first lessons I learned on this forum is not to bash anothers choice of caliber/rifle "BART". I am on the defence here because like sestoppelman pointed out, I am also not sure where you were going with the statements made. Just know what I read i didn't like.

You may be thinking 35 Remington, which was designed for the lever action platform, and is still a great round/caliber.

NOt my attention to step on any toes heck I am not a expert on 35 Whelen do not own one, just making apoint about FPS really, I never bash or argue on the net, You never get a group of hunters to agree on a caliber or brand of firearms so I try to stay clear of that. I leave that to experts I still learning everyday something new about somethiing:cool: MY buddy loves his 35 but it is a hand built gun so thanks for the info back to the race if they every get the track fixed.

I think you need to goback and read the front of any good reloading maual guys. Velocity is a function of pressure the fact that factory ammo is so above the average is that reloaders cant use non canister grade powders.The factory stuff is usually right at max sammi spec except for some loadings like 308 "HO NO ITS NOT" YES IT is loaded to 7.62x51 44000psi 7x57 6.5x55 and several others due to old millitary firearms in circulation liability reasons.POINT if your surpassing factory velocity your probobly over pressure limits for any cartridge. Just because its fast doesnt mean its accurate. And accuracy is everything.

NOt my attention to step on any toes heck I am not a expert on 35 Whelen do not own one, just making apoint about FPS really, I never bash or argue on the net, You never get a group of hunters to agree on a caliber or brand of firearms so I try to stay clear of that. I leave that to experts I still learning everyday something new about somethiing:cool: MY buddy loves his 35 but it is a hand built gun so thanks for the info back to the race if they every get the track fixed.

No need to explain, my fault really, forgot to put a smiley at the end of ????you my friend are stepping on toes...Then a smiley:p

It's all good.

Yes the more I pratice the harder I work at shooting the luckier I get.

Huntingbigun,

I own a bad a$$ airboat

I know nothing about the 35 Whelen, but all bad ass airboats are in Louisiana. :D

The race is about to start again!!!!

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool:It IS ON now you have to know that Florida is king of the baddest airboats in the world:eek: Nice boat here is mine

You on Southern Airboat ?????

watermark.php

watermark.php

Huntingbigun,

I own a bad a$$ airboat

I know nothing about the 35 Whelen, but all bad ass airboats are in Louisiana. :D

The race is about to start again!!!!

watermark.php

Attachments

• 5545177242_53af28e887.jpg
    5545177242_53af28e887.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:
No need to explain, my fault really, forgot to put a smiley at the end of ????you my friend are stepping on toes...Then a smiley:p

It's all good.

Cool I had fun in my short stay in here and now have a fellow airboater to mess with, so going to get better ;) BF needs to lighten up a little I am well known for my Photoshop skills on Southern Airboat I may have to make him laugh
:popcorn:

Well I agree with ya on that dang that was hard to type :fishing:
Come on race get started

I think you need to goback and read the front of any good reloading maual guys. Velocity is a function of pressure the fact that factory ammo is so above the average is that reloaders cant use non canister grade powders.The factory stuff is usually right at max sammi spec except for some loadings like 308 "HO NO ITS NOT" YES IT is loaded to 7.62x51 44000psi 7x57 6.5x55 and several others due to old millitary firearms in circulation liability reasons.POINT if your surpassing factory velocity your probobly over pressure limits for any cartridge. Just because its fast doesnt mean its accurate. And accuracy is everything.

Well gee I got my first set of lee dippers when I was 16, and I am managed make it to ole age of 55 if you want my resume, I was just making a point about FPS is only one part of the eguation for energy, I never said anything about how much energy I was making with any of my loads.

I could give a rat a$$ if you believe I can or cannot get 3900 fps out of my 22-250. You are correct the 22-250 came from 250 Savage designed by Newton in 1914, i was just using 06 that as non belted magnum 4000 fps is not that hard to achive, you think in 1914 they had the same powders we have now?? Times change and things we could not achive in 1914 are done every day by handloaders.

This is not a reloading site, only been on here for a short period of time so trying to just make general statement, we can hook up on some of the reloading sites I belong to and carry on with your arguments about FPS and how to attain them. Get into energy thing heck maybe compare how many days we have spent hunting, my truck is faster and I own a bad a$$ airboat and My american bulldog will whip your dog's butt. :cool: Or agree to disagree

Hope you are sure know what I meant.:bulb:

BF your skill is awesome, WOW one shot that is rare for sure, thanks for reminding us again, I almost forgot from the last post. I used to shoot a 300WM but gave it up for the superior case capacity of the 300RUM & smoother feed of a non belted cartridge but mine is a deer rifle :cool:

Back to the OP question accubond is great bullet same as many great choice we have, load them shoot something and make your pick.

Oh dear!

I own a 300 rum but only get 200fps over a 300WM in practical hunting situations I find this is no advantage. Belt bias is mostly hype.

Thank goodness the race is finally over, was fearing they'd be delaying the start of the race next week in Phoenix while waiting for Daytona to finish. My guy didn't win, but a 4th place finish is a good start to the season.

So let's just review....

1. A well placed 200gr AB from my .300WM should be okay on an Eland.

2. For those who own a .300 RUM and like it, you're nuttier than me. Owned one once and would prefer a stout kicking from a mule.

3. I know nothing about airboats, just Harley's. But Mike if you'd like to take me on one of those gator hunts, I'll buy you dinner at Mulate's in Breaux Bridge.

4. I must admit that 2800fps in a 225gr projectile from a 35 Whelen is something I'd like to see from about 20 yards back. But I won't argue it can be done.

5. We're talking about hunting and shooting gents, it's supposed to be fun. There's enough stress in life, so just my two cents, leave it out of these things we all love to do. There's threads out there about hunters/shooters not being unified while the anti's are. I have no idea what the truth is there, but I'm certain that divided we will fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!