Accidental Discharge

Well if it was done correctly the first I guess nobody needed to try and fix it....they are beautiful on the outside but inside is a different story.....

Folks have triggers lightened all the time, doesn't mean it was broke to begin with. But I've no dog in this fight and no expert on doubles that's for sure.

Folks have triggers lightened all the time, doesn't mean it was broke to begin with. But I've no dog in this fight and no expert on doubles that's for sure.
On properly built double rifles?? Never heard of it on a properly built double. It should come with a properly pre set trigger pull which normally differs from front to back trigger.
This is a 500 NE DG rifle not a benchrest rifle

On properly built double rifles?? Never heard of it on a properly built double. It should come with a properly pre set trigger pull which normally differs from front to back trigger.
indeed, I would expect that when a rifle has a pricepoint of 10K+ , my local gunsmith or I does not need to "smoothen" it...

I get your point, but it's still an assumption. I guess I'd like to know for certain why the rifle was tinkered with in the first place. It wouldn't be the first time I've shook my head at what some folks have done to their rifles.

It's creepy owning a rifle that does stuff like that, isn't it?
That is why it resides in my safe. BTW, I have other newer REM 700s and have never had that issue. Knock on wood.

That is why it resides in my safe. BTW, I have other newer REM 700s and have never had that issue. Knock on wood.
My old Mossberg 22,circa 1950, started going full auto on me. Bit of a thrill due to a worn sear. Replaced sear, good to go.

I know guys who had accidental discharges and it cost them a LOT of money.
e-big-grin.gif

I get your point, but it's still an assumption. I guess I'd like to know for certain why the rifle was tinkered with in the first place. It wouldn't be the first time I've shook my head at what some folks have done to their rifles.
Check some other posts regarding VC....and their issues.....I rest my case......
Buy a Heym.......

I know guys who had accidental discharges and it cost them a LOT of money. View attachment 458068
A friend of mine up in WA state had an AR accidently go full auto due to sear problem. He got arrested by an ATF asshole who was on the range and wound up in a multi year court battle to prove it was accidental. They wanted to hang him for an unlicensed full auto weapon. I moved away and don't know the final outcome. These days one has to be careful. You never what kind of pr&*k is lurking around.

'have heard many past instances of both barrels firing on doubles (when pulling the trigger.)

My old Mossberg 22,circa 1950, started going full auto on me. Bit of a thrill due to a worn sear. Replaced sear, good to go.

Had a mini-14 go full auto at about -20’F. The oil gummed and held out the opposing sear. That was in Canada many years ago. Wouldn’t the Mounties have had fun with me!

not in the store. Behind it. The customer tried to load it in the store - if you can believe that.

yes, Gun handling is primary, and yes the incident may be anecdotal, but it doesn’t mean it did t happen.

I could also tell you about another incident with a 700 300 RUM that did the same thing. But that might cause it to become a trend.
To be clear, not saying it didnt happen, but sadly such stories are legion surrounding this issue. It becomes a "I know a guy" type story after a while, so many "I remember one time with my 700, why it just went off on me".
Thats what she said....

Get around anything enough, and you'll see failures yourself, as anything human made might. I've seen Manufacture defects lead to failures first hand on just about every optics company: Swarovski, Leica, Leopold, Steiner, Burris, etc. That won't prevent me from owning another, though I've seen these failures that cost people an expensive hunt and/or shot. I've also seen brand new FNs, Remingtons, CZs, Brownings, Winchesters, Weatherbys, and more come back with defects. Again, though these defects could have been, and some were, catastrophic, I'd still buy another. Run any new equipment thru its paces in a safe manner and you'll weed out any shortcomings and be able to correct(replace) it.

All doubles should have intercepting sears and part of the loading drill demands that the safety is on during the process. So the negligent discharge then boils down to the safety being left off. Yes, it would be interesting to know what double this was. It would also be interesting to know what doubles this has never happened to. Is my understanding correct that this can never happen to a Krieghoff?
I don't know much about double rifles, but I know quite a bit about SxS shotguns and I own and shoot a number of them. The same action designs are used on both guns and rifles.

You are right about the intercepting sears - a valuable feature, but one that is not present on most 'working' shotguns. The typical Anson & Deeley action is not fitted with intercepting sears and this is the very same action that was/is commonly used on double rifles. Most modern sidelock guns and rifles have intercepting sears, but not all. Intercepting sears block the striker (hammer) from falling IF THE TRIGGER IS NOT PULLED. I do not know if VC fits intercepting sears on their rifles.

Another factor is the safety itself, which would not have helped in this situation, but on many double guns the safety is automatic - it resets to safe when the gun is opened to eject or for any reason. However, the automatic safety reset feature is often disabled to simplify operation for shooters who are unable or unwilling to adopt proper shooting habits, i.e. releasing the safety as the gun is mounted. I cannot count the number of times I have seen folks carrying guns with the SAFE off becuse they were to distracted to reset it manually after reloading. Always scares the shit out of me - I refuse to continue hunting or shooting with the person at fault.

I believe the issue here is if the same equipment continues to have the same issues, over and over again. An occasional issue here and there is expected. I believe the problem is Remington not fixing the issue, if there was one.

The problem with the Remington 700 trigger was a tool in Joe Sixthumbs hands could adjust it to the point of being on the hairy edge of firing when cocked or on closing. I'm not convinced in any of the videos showing ADs, including the military and LEO ones, that someone didn't dick around with the triggers. It was just too tempting and easy.

Son has a vintage Ithaca SxS 12 ga that has had both bbls fire when using certain, greater recoil loads. It's likely the triggers. I recall one close rabbit being pre-sliced/tenderized as a result!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.