A5 16 ga project

Update: There's a master engraver who lives near me, so I think that phase 3 will be getting the flat panels engraved. I'll post that when it's done.

I also came to a decision on the bedding after pondering the (really good) advice from this thread. First, I'm going to just bed the front of the buttstock/receiver interface and leave the tang bolt alone. As others have pointed out, that won't help with the push from the action spring OR the forward motion of the barrel slamming back into battery. So the vital other part will be having a steel sleeve machined for the foreend. I calculated the dimensions for a steel cylinder at 0.940" ID/1.140 OD with 0.1" wall thickness, and 3.268" long. I'll hog the inside of thee foreend out to more than 1.140", put epoxy on the outer surface of the sleeve/inside of the foreend wood, and then use the gun itself as a jig. Basically I'll slather the magazine tube, barrel and end cap with release agent, then reassemble the gun with the sleeve in place while the epoxy cures. The end result should be that the barrel ring's forward travel is arrested by hitting the steel sleeve, which is held in place by the end cap. In that way, the forward momentum of the barrel is expended against a solid steel cylinder against the end cap. I think that will accomplish two things. First, it will save the foreend. Second, the sleeve within the foreend, NOT the buttstock, should absorb the shock of the barrel slamming back into battery.

I believe that the wood should do fine with a smooth push like the recoil spring force, but impact forces will destroy it. I think that this strategy will ensure that those impact loads, namely from recoil and then from the barrel slamming forward, will be borne by 1) an uniform epoxy surface at the receiver/buttstock interface and 2) a steel sleeve within the foreend.
You forgot about the tiny spring loaded locking pin mechanism for magazine cap that is imbedded in the end of fore end. How do you deal with that if you drill out the fore end for a steel sleeve? And don't think that the magazine cap will just stay in place if tightened down firmly. I can tell you from experience it will NOT. All of a sudden your A5 won't fire. Then you will notice the barrel is reset too far forward because the magazine cap has unscrewed itself from recoil. The cheap plastic I used to replace my A5's fractured stock simply had a nubbin in the fore end to act as a stop for mag cap. It wore off in short order and my gun stopped shooting. So I scavenged the locking pin assembly from my broken wood fore end and drilled out a spot for it in plastic fore end.
 
You forgot about the tiny spring loaded locking pin mechanism for magazine cap that is imbedded in the end of fore end. How do you deal with that if you drill out the fore end for a steel sleeve? And don't think that the magazine cap will just stay in place if tightened down firmly. I can tell you from experience it will NOT. All of a sudden your A5 won't fire. Then you will notice the barrel is reset too far forward because the magazine cap has unscrewed itself from recoil. The cheap plastic I used to replace my A5's fractured stock simply had a nubbin in the fore end to act as a stop for mag cap. It wore off in short order and my gun stopped shooting. So I scavenged the locking pin assembly from my broken wood fore end and drilled out a spot for it in plastic fore end.

That detent is long gone. My gunsmith didn't install it on the new foreend, and left the front of the foreend flat to compensate. If I run into the same issue that you have, my plan is to fabricobble a new detent out of repurposed AR parts.
 
That detent is long gone. My gunsmith didn't install it on the new foreend, and left the front of the foreend flat to compensate. If I run into the same issue that you have, my plan is to fabricobble a new detent out of repurposed AR parts.
Check and see if he still has the old fore end. The detent assembly can be carefully pried out of its hole in the wood and reused. Depending on how thick the sleeve is, you may be able to drill out a new hole. Or fabricate another mechanism and silver solder it to the side of tube, carve out a recess for it in fore end, and push the tube down into fore end from the top.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,490
Members
169,574
Latest member
NinaStockt
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top