A Push Feed Rifle Or A Control Round Feed Rifle?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Kawshik Rahman, Nov 18, 2019.

1. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    ^^ Well said One Day!

CoElkHunter and Kawshik Rahman like this.

2. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    @One Day...
    Excellent answer, thanks!
    To summarize, following CRF rifle models are identified till now: mauser 98 (in many versions), sako 85, older Steyr manlicher luxus.

Another question has been brought up:
    Issue of safety!

Are we now talking of the rear - third locking lug on m98 bolt?

I was always under impression that due to accident Paul Mauser had, injuring his eye and hand, while testing some of the early semi auto designs, was the reason of adding third locking lug on the rear of the bolt of m98.
    But, following this thought I went to quick search for double checking, and it looks like he had this accident in 1901, while m98 was designed few years earlier. Two facts are not connected in that way, as I thought so.

Nevertheless, m98 bolt has two front locking lugs, one rear locking lug and CR feed system on long claw. All together really sounds very very safe.

In any case, for safety features of m98, control of ruptured casings and overpressure gasses release, pls let us have your comments, I believe we will all appreciate. No need for another thread! many thanks in advance!

Mr. Zorg and CoElkHunter like this.

3. Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    The bolt handle itself acts as the third safety recoil lug on most modern rifles such as Winchester and Remington. If you look, there is nothing behind the the bolt handle on a m98, but the bolt handle on a Winchester sits in groove.

mark-hunter and CoElkHunter like this.

4. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Those of you that say the extractor should not be able to snap over the cartridge rim if you single load a round, have obviously never had a cartridge jump in front of the extractor while feeding from the magazine. When this occurs, you will inadvertently push the bolt forward and jam the cartridge into the chamber. Now....with your extractor that won't snap over the rim, you will be forced to say "hang on Mr. Carging Lion, while I go find something to stick down the barrel to push this cartridge out!".
    I had this happen to me on a Kimber 30/06. Luckily I was only deer hunting. So a trip back to the truck was only an inconvenience, not life threatening.

5. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:

Here's a short video I made about the ejection issues that some Sako 85s have. It also clearly shows that the action is indeed CRF. Notice I don't have to close the bolt everytime I eject the rounds. The cartridge is picked up from the magazine and rides up under the extractor as designed.

Wyatt Smith and CoElkHunter like this.

6. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Nice video! Very interesting!

TOBY458 likes this.

7. Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    My pre 64 30-06 snaps over the rim as easy an a Remington 700 but my new production 375 take a bit of force. However since I’ve been taught I don’t do it to either.

8. Tokoloshe Safaris

Tokoloshe Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Safari International
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
    We have CRF client rifles that never jam for me, but certain clients have found ways to make then jam. I believe short stroking is always the cause. I have one M-70 (deadly accurate) and dependable. I can put it in the hands of one repeat client and he will never have a problem and he has had at least one very stressful buffalo fight and won! I have another, again a repeat client,in the field somehow he manages to jam the rifle every time. I think he could jam a double!

Wyatt Smith likes this.

9. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    That is exactly how I have always loaded my Whitworth .375 mag. It is safe for rifle and shooter.(y)

Wyatt Smith likes this.

10. sestoppelman

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    OH GREAT! Now there is one more thing I have to look for!:whistle::eek::rolleyes::D

11. sestoppelman

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    What type of ejector does it have and where is it?

12. One Day...

One Day... GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe, America, Canada, Africa
    Hello sestoppelman,
    The ejector is a rod that is inserted in the bolt hole and that slides back and forth in this hole, and behind.
    It is held in place behind the bolt face by a screw that slides in a grove at the bottom of the bolt, and that also acts as a bolt stop. When the bolt is retracted, the screw that holds the ejector rode is blocked against the front of the trigger and as the bolt continues to go back for about 1/4" inch, the screw holding the ejector rod slides forward in its grove and causes the ejector rod to slide forward within the bolt and to protuberate from the bolt face, where it acts the same way a typical spring loaded ejector does.
    When the bolt is moved forward to reload, the ejector rod slides back inside the bolt head and allows controlled round feed.

upload_2019-12-2_22-5-22.png
    In simpler terms (maybe?) think of it as an plunger ejector that is not constantly popping out under spring tension, but that is only pushed out by an internal rod when it needs to be out to eject a cartridge.

FYI, this feature only exists on the Luxus series of the 1970's - 80's Steyr Mannlicher rifles, those with metallic in-line 3 rounds magazines. All contemporary Steyr Mannlicher with macrolon (plastic) 5 round detachable rotary magazines have a push feed mechanism, and to the best of my knowledge CRF was dropped on the more recent Luxus series.
    Apparently, virtually no one knew what they had in their hands (not all that uncommon is it?), and it seems that Steyr figured in the 1990's they could discretely drop the feature without dropping market share. Sadly it seems they were right...
    Thx
    P

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    sestoppelman likes this.

13. sestoppelman

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Thanks for that explanation, makes sense to me now. If that's possible...:rolleyes::D:D

One Day... likes this.